Blue Jays Discussion: Dickey Wins Gold Glove.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DatsyukianDeke*

on PTS yesterday they were saying Bautista wasn't happy with only getting 14 million a year, and when they brought in players that made more then him that it made him unhappy.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I don't see how someone who has 2 no hitters at the age of 27 can be underrated, but I agree, Jays would be a good trading partner.

On another note. Derosa had an interview on PTS recently to talk about his time in baseball and his new job as a analyst. During said interview he used the term grinders 3 times. Now I had already assumed that it was one of Dickey, Buehrle, Janssen, or Derosa that made those comments about the team a while back, but I think I can safely say who it was. He had alot of kind words about the team, players and the city in general, but when questioned about the Bautista rumors, he didn't hesitate to say anyone should be available. "If you finished last place with him, you could probably finish last place without him". Thought that comment was very telling. Again, not saying his words are anything new or ground-breaking, but the way he went about it was interesting to me to say the least.

I think he is on par with Latos. Consistency has been an issue. If he ever puts it together he could become a top five pitcher in the league. When he's on he is unhittable.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
on PTS yesterday they were saying Bautista wasn't happy with only getting 14 million a year, and when they brought in players that made more then him that it made him unhappy.

Who's 'they'? The fat man with glasses, the other fat man with glasses, or the bald man.

Last edited:

GoHardSports

TorontoMarleauLeafs
Feb 22, 2010
Vaughan
So what we are all agreeing on is that Detroit's bullpen sucked ass, Toronto's was very good. We have too many in the bullpen and need to unload. So if thats the case and Porcello is available why wouldnt AA already pull the trigger on this deal????

Secondly, if there was a way to get Phillips in a deal along with Hanigan without having to give up Bautista I would be for this. How about since they dont have a true center fielder we do this:

Rasmus or Gose
Sierra
JP Arancebia
Happ

for

Phillips
Hanigan
Bailey

Our Lineup with Porcello and Cincy Trades:

SS - Reyes
2B - Phillips
LF - Bautista
1B - EE
DH - Lind
3B - Lawrie
RF - Cabrera
C - Hanigan
CF- Gose (if its Rasmus not included in deal put him behind EE and slide everyone down one slot)

Dickey
Bailey
Buerhle
Porcello
Morrow
First, the Tigers probably want more than just a reliever or 2 for Porcello, which is why they arent gonna pull a deal so soon. Porcello was a highly regarded prospect and is finally putting it all together in the bigs. On top of that they've been talking to Joe Nathan to bring him in as their closer, so its not so simple. Porcello could be a really good mid rotation starter if he reaches his full potential. So obviously its not an easy trigger to pull.

Second, the only problem with Cincy is that they dont NEED a CF because they have Billy Hamilton, who is a better version of Gose. They do want however, want a middle of the order bat, which is easiest to find in the corner outfield. Hence why they'd bring in a corner outfielder, move Bruce to CF, and move Hamilton to 2B while also getting rid of Phillips and his contract. Cincy has payroll restrictions, which is why they cant just resign Choo without moving Phillips. This is why the Jays would be a good fit with Bautista.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
I don't see how someone who has 2 no hitters at the age of 27 can be underrated, but I agree, Jays would be a good trading partner.

On another note. Derosa had an interview on PTS recently to talk about his time in baseball and his new job as a analyst. During said interview he used the term grinders 3 times. Now I had already assumed that it was one of Dickey, Buehrle, Janssen, or Derosa that made those comments about the team a while back, but I think I can safely say who it was. He had alot of kind words about the team, players and the city in general, but when questioned about the Bautista rumors, he didn't hesitate to say anyone should be available. "If you finished last place with him, you could probably finish last place without him". Thought that comment was very telling. Again, not saying his words are anything new or ground-breaking, but the way he went about it was interesting to me to say the least.

Those are pretty wise words from a solid veteran. I'm really hoping AA trades Bautista to shore up either 2B or C and get a SP as well. Fixing those problems are really important, and Jose would provide a very solid return for both.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org

What's there to be unhappy about? He had a breakout year and the team gambled on him to continue to to that. He happily signed it at the time.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Only, lol.

Chump change for a gamebreaking hitter. You know he's on a good deal when he's the 55th most richest contract in the MLB next year. Guys who are >= the same salary? Ryan Zimmerman, Torii Hunter, John Danks, Justin Upton, Jake Peavy, Nick Swisher, Nick Markakis, Adam Dunn, Chase Utley, David Ortiz, John Lackey, Andre Ethier, Josh Beckett. BJ Upton will be making $550,000 less than Jose Bautista next year.

It isn't something he should be mad about though. With his contract he gave the team flexibility to spend on talent.

DatsyukianDeke*

What's there to be unhappy about? He had a breakout year and the team gambled on him to continue to to that. He happily signed it at the time.

Jealousy can do weird things. I guess before those guys came he was the leader of the club, then when more personalities came in (Dickey, Buerhle etc) he wasn't happy, then throw in the fact a couple players were making more then him. He obviously had a bad attitude last year, De Rosa comments are nothing of a surprise for most, he doesn't seem happy not being the leader.

I distinctly remember a clip last year, I think when EE hit two home runs in an inning against Houston and Jose Bautista looked pissed and didn't even celebrate sitting beside Edwin.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I like Bautista but he's really grown a sense of entitlement (especially at the plate) over the last couple of seasons ... Not a huge fan of the attitude TBH

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006

Bautista seems like the type that wouldn't be happy. He even said it at the press conference announcing his deal -- if he continued to put up great numbers, he'd want to re-visit his contract to bring it more in line with his market rate.

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008
A Texas Rangers fan wrote a letter to Bautista trying to get him to go there. Cute kid. :laugh:

bautistaletter111413.jpg

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Jealousy can do weird things. I guess before those guys came he was the leader of the club, then when more personalities came in (Dickey, Buerhle etc) he wasn't happy, then throw in the fact a couple players were making more then him. He obviously had a bad attitude last year, De Rosa comments are nothing of a surprise for most, he doesn't seem happy not being the leader.

I distinctly remember a clip last year, I think when EE hit two home runs in an inning against Houston and Jose Bautista looked pissed and didn't even celebrate sitting beside Edwin.

I remember that incident last year. If Jose is whining about his deal now its his own fault for signing it. He must not have confidence in his skills to repeat that breakout year so took the guaranteed payday.

I will say that I have been on the trade Bautista bandwagon as his attitude and leadership skills are questionable. I think this team would be better off with him moving on and that latin clique breaking up and getting back to a team atmosphere were its everyone all in together.

Look at the cards bench and every player is in game and cheering everyone on not sitting there during a blowout and laughing it up.

Accountability and professionalism need to be instilled in this team going forward.

We need dirtbags/grinders just like the Sox got in Victorino, Gomes, Pedrioia

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I would be ok if it was Andrus instead of Profar.

Screw that, lets go all out and get the $ savings. Hell I would dump Buerhle if I could too and just spend all that money on guys like Garza and Jimenez, I really do not like Buerhle on the staff no matter the innings.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
Bautista seems like the type that wouldn't be happy. He even said it at the press conference announcing his deal -- if he continued to put up great numbers, he'd want to re-visit his contract to bring it more in line with his market rate.

which is BS because we assumed the risk of the contract, and if he was a one year wonder it's not like the team could 're-visit' the contract to bring it more in line with the market

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada

PTS has nothing to talk about so they like to make stuff up.

People have to know how absurd that sounds, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad