Blue Jays Discussion: Dickey Wins Gold Glove.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoHardSports

TorontoMarleauLeafs
Feb 22, 2010
Vaughan
I really want Samardzija. Pitchers that can throw a nasty splitter are awesome. Plus he would be a long-term piece given his age.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...-bautista-makes-no-sense-yet/article15429647/

Jose Bautista’s team-friendly contract has one BFF: the Toronto Blue Jays. But that will change.

In a market where every team is a player thanks to an extra $30-million (U.S.) per club in network television money and punitive luxury tax mechanisms that don’t kick in until $189-million, there is ample opportunity for Major League Baseball teams to overpay for needs both real and imagined.

And perhaps it won’t be until that happens, or until the process is well under way, that Bautista suddenly becomes worth more to somebody else than he is to the Blue Jays.

The question is: Does Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos have enough patience to wait it out?

The Blue Jays had teams kick the tires on Bautista last season – before he was hurt – so the only surprise about the first hastily-dismissed rumour this week linking Bautista to another team is it took two days of GM’s meetings in Orlando for it to materialize.

Howard Eskin of Philadelphia’s Fox 29 reported via Twitter the Philadelphia Phillies and Blue Jays were working on a deal that would have Bautista join the National League team in return for 26-year-old outfielder Domonic Brown, who finally had a breakout year offensively but remains a defensive liability.

As Toronto manager John Gibbons told SiriusXM radio on Wednesday, it is a deal that by itself makes no sense for the Blue Jays, since it addresses none of their personnel issues – “extra pitching,†in his words – so it was no surprise Anthopoulos called it a total fabrication.

Indeed, even if the rumoured deal included minor prospects, the only tangible benefit for the Blue Jays would be greater payroll flexibility.

There is no indication the Jays are under the cosh financially – payroll is expected to be bumped up to $150-million – but Brown is a year away from salary arbitration, and theoretically moving Bautista could open the door for the addition of one or two large salaries.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.chicagonow.com/cubs-den/...ested-in-samardzija-weiters-ellsbury-marlins/

The Blue Jays are a 3rd team that is taking more than a passing interest in Jeff Samardzija. We've mentioned the Jays as a possible suitor in the past. They certainly have what the Cubs need, which is young pitching. Even after trading Noah Syndegaard and Justin Nicolino, the Jays still have Aaron Sanchez, Marcus Stroman, Roberto Osuna, Daniel Norris (L), Sean Nolin (L), and Matt Smoral (L). They also have some solid 2nd tier catching prospects. They certainly have enough talent to get the Cubs to listen and Shi Davidi of Sportsnet Canada confirms the Jays do have interest. Alex Anthopolous is expected to explore the trade market before turning to free agency. That seems to be a common theme this year among many organizations -- including the Cubs.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/blue-jays-exploring-trade-options-before-free-agency/

When Anthopoulos targets a player, his pursuit is quick and thorough, so when he said, “I have not made one offer to one free agent at any point in time,” it became clear that he’s playing the long game in the open market this winter.

“That’s not to say we’re not going to engage,” said Anthopoulos. “It’s just not the time to get to that point.”

On the trade front, the Blue Jays are expected to make a push for Chicago Cubs starter Jeff Samardzija and they have inquired about available catcher Ryan Hanigan, whom the Cincinnati Reds are said to be moving slowly on. Like many teams, the Blue Jays are also believed to have kicked around a run at backstop Jason Castro of the Houston Astros, but their GM Jeff Luhnow told MLB.com that, “I really don’t have a lot of interest in exploring” a trade for the all-star.

Cy Young Award winner Max Scherzer and Detroit Tigers teammate Rick Porcello are reportedly being shopped, and the belief is there are some other starters flying under the radar that could be had.

What the acquisition cost might be is a tricky question, and the hefty contracts being sought by free agents like Ervin Santana (now apparently up to $112 million over five years) will only drive trade prices up, too.

That’s one reason why Bautista’s name will come up in trade rumours, but remember this: if the Blue Jays don’t get a grand slam package that includes an elite pitcher, the four-time all-star won’t be going anywhere. Disregard any talk that sells off an elite slugger on a good contract for a pittance, or as the case was Tuesday night, a no-walk, can’t-defend player like Brown.

Other chips at the Blue Jays’ disposal include J.P. Arencibia, who was drawing interest even before the GM meetings began, and their surplus of cost-effective, power-armed relievers, who will only rise in value if the free-agent relief market is as lucrative as expected.

Anthopoulos has roughly $11-$16 million at his disposal (based on a payroll of $145-$150 million and including salary projections for players outside the $119.4 million committed to 15 players), and moving some money to take on other money might make the trade market more appealing.

And in going down that road, the Blue Jays can also wait out free agents who may sit around because of the compensatory draft picks attached to them through qualifying offers – Ubaldo Jimenez, perhaps? – and try to negotiate more reasonable contracts.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I like Samardzija. He's on my list of guys I'd target through trade, along with Porcello. However, I'm not too interested in bleeding the farm system, unless its at the lower levels where depth is that much more saturated. I highly doubt the Cubs go for that.

After some of the drunken trading AA did last off-season, Sanchez and Stroman should be untouchables. Young pitching is just far too valuable these days with the ridiculous money being thrown around for mid-rotation (and back end) starters.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Unless Jays are offering Sanchez or Stroman (maybe Hutchison), why would the Cubs listen with us about Samardzija? I guess it doesn't hurt to try but I bet Cubs go get a far better appealing package for Samardzija elsewhere.

As a Cubs fan first and foremost jays are 2nd fav team the Cubs are looking for pitching that is ready within a year or 2 to come with their position players like Baez, Bryant, Soler who are all ready to debut if not 2014 for sure 2015.

If that is the case then Stroman and Sanchez would be the choice I am sure. I could also see Theo taking a flyer on Romero in a package hoping a change of scenery and pitching in the NL could turn him around.

Bullpen guy like Santos could intrigue the Cubs as their closer is not set yet and they would rather have Strop as the 8th inning guy.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
I like Samardzija. He's on my list of guys I'd target through trade, along with Porcello. However, I'm not too interested in bleeding the farm system, unless its at the lower levels where depth is that much more saturated. I highly doubt the Cubs go for that.

After some of the drunken trading AA did last off-season, Sanchez and Stroman should be untouchables. Young pitching is just far too valuable these days with the ridiculous money being thrown around for mid-rotation (and back end) starters.

And Osuna should be too. Porcello is a guy we could likely get if AA were interested in giving up a reliever and some other pieces.

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
And Osuna should be too. Porcello is a guy we could likely get if AA were interested in giving up a reliever and some other pieces.

Ok this is where I dont get AA, Beeston, and Rogers Communications. With all the deals last year which were made to make us a contender, if it werent for bad luck and injuries we would have been right there. Last seasons acquisition of Johnson as part of the Marlins deal didnt pan out and we are getting nothing in return. If anything was proven last year, it was that we still need at least one bonafide starter to go along with Dickey, Buerhle, Morrow and Happ. At least one middle of the rotation starter to compete with Happ and cover for Morrow in the case of an injury. We also need an upgrade at 2B and C.

If we want to be competitive for the long haul, doesnt it make sense to add these pieces through free agency rather then trade. Further depleting the minor leagues doesnt help us. If free agents cost us nothing but money, and Rogers has already approved moving forward on the deals that were made last year. You mine as well go full out and sign the pieces you need without depleting your farm system.

To me the approach of trading for help rather then signing them for free goes out the window with the approach taken last off season and the blessing Rogers gave at that time.Whether you have a payroll of 145-150 million or 175 million what is the difference???? You either want a winner for the long haul or you dont!!! Them saying that they want to assemble a team that will be competitive for the long haul doesnt work if you are trading your farm away all the time.

The Leafs did this and failed miserably without a cap system in the league. In MLB there is no cap. Although its good at times to trade, you really need to take advantage of the free agent market as well.

Wake up AA, Beeston and Rogers!!!! You want a winner you are going about it all wrong this year.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

He absolutely is. Only reason I didn't mention him is because players are rarely traded during lengthy rehab stints. Otherwise, he's definitely in the top three, perhaps even ahead of Stroman.

There just seems to be a good fit between Detroit and Toronto. Janssen for Porcello could very easily be the structure of a deal.

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
He absolutely is. Only reason I didn't mention him is because players are rarely traded during lengthy rehab stints. Otherwise, he's definitely in the top three, perhaps even ahead of Stroman.

There just seems to be a good fit between Detroit and Toronto. Janssen for Porcello could very easily be the structure of a deal.

How about we keep Janssen and not trade for Porcello and sign Garza????

Whats wrong with you people? Why let Rogers off the hook? They opened the vaults last year. Let them keep them open. Sign a proven winner in the AL East to help our rotation. Keep Osuna and Stroman in our organization to develop!!!

Screw Rogers, pay up big boys if you want to play with big boys in MLB. Time they put their money where their mouth is.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
They already put their money where there mouth is last year.

This team is still a very good team. If we add a catcher, and add a couple pitchers, and maybe grab Kyle Kendrick, we'd be beasts.

Bautista + JPA for Kendrick + Brown + ????
Sign a catcher
Sign Santana
Sign Halladay :D

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
They already put their money where there mouth is last year.

This team is still a very good team. If we add a catcher, and add a couple pitchers, and maybe grab Kyle Kendrick, we'd be beasts.

Bautista + JPA for Kendrick + Brown + ????
Sign a catcher
Sign Santana
Sign Halladay :D

What you just stated is putting their money where their mouth is!!! Sign this, sign that......thats my point. No need to trade the farm for players youo did that last year to revolutionize your core of the team!!! Now Rogers needs to suppliment that with signings where the holes are. To allow growth in organization bottom up to keep us compettitive for years to come.

The Yankees have been competitive for 20+ years..... they built their farm and signed who ever they needed to in FA to suppliment it.

I like your thinking on the signings. Not sure if I agree of those specific players though!!! As for trade involving Bautista it is not the right way to go. He needs one more season to play on a legitamate contender and not be injured. Trade him next season if we have to. Not this.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

Whats wrong with you people? Why let Rogers off the hook? They opened the vaults last year. Let them keep them open. Sign a proven winner in the AL East to help our rotation. Keep Osuna and Stroman in our organization to develop!!!

Screw Rogers, pay up big boys if you want to play with big boys in MLB. Time they put their money where their mouth is.

You do realize that Porcello is 24, and Casey Janssen is 32. Janssen also plays a position in which Toronto possesses major league depth, while Porcello plays a position in which the Blue Jays lack depth. Starting pitching is extremely expensive to acquire through free agency, and by most accounts, the Blue Jays are in need of two new starters.

So....instead of spending money for two free agents, why not trade for a pitcher and sign for a pitcher. It may cost you $3m (difference between Porcello and Janssen) + $15m (Garza) instead of $15m + $15m (which is being optimistic on the cost of the free agents). It allows you to save money, and allocate it elsewhere. Simple asset management.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London

Oh I gotcha.

Couldn't agree more. I don't know what else they would be looking for us to add, but a 24 year old ground ball pitcher is something this rotation could use.

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
You do realize that Porcello is 24, and Casey Janssen is 32. Janssen also plays a position in which Toronto possesses major league depth, while Porcello plays a position in which the Blue Jays lack depth. Starting pitching is extremely expensive to acquire through free agency, and by most accounts, the Blue Jays are in need of two new starters.

So....instead of spending money for two free agents, why not trade for a pitcher and sign for a pitcher. It may cost you $3m (difference between Porcello and Janssen) + $15m (Garza) instead of $15m + $15m (which is being optimistic on the cost of the free agents). It allows you to save money, and allocate it elsewhere. Simple asset management.

I really see your point. But is there any guarrantee that someone will be able to replace Janssen??? I dont mind trading strength on MLB club for another need. As long as we are not mortgaging our future. And is Porcello the best we can get for a proven closer of back to back 30+ save seasons??

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008

The Blue Jays currently have I believe 7 more pitchers that are out of options. They must be exposed to waivers to be sent down and we risk losing them for nothing. Are they on the level of Janssen? No but it's our depth. We'd be selling high on Casey as he goes into the final year of his contract after which we'll likely lose him to free agency because I'm sure he's gonna get paid. I'd rather trade for the young strong pitcher that is desperately needed on the team and trade a reliever/closer that can easily be replaced internally. We are trading from depth to address team needs. That's what smart teams do. That doesn't solve all our problems but it's a start. We have more than one need and this could address one of those needs. It's actually a very good thing to do and would save the Jays some money to spend elsewhere like on those big free agents.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I really see your point. But is there any guarrantee that someone will be able to replace Janssen??? I dont mind trading strength on MLB club for another need. As long as we are not mortgaging our future. And is Porcello the best we can get for a proven closer of back to back 30+ save seasons??

Starting pitching is always at a premium and he's on the cusp of breaking out so we'd be buying at a perfect time. There is as much guarantee that we can replace as there is of Janssen doing it again. Santos was brought in to be a closer and has a track record of being able to handle it. Given he hasn't been able to stay healthy but I'm hoping that's behind him. If he goes down we have Cecil and Delabar who dominated last year in pressure situations so there's no reason to believe we couldn't replace him internally and easily.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London

I think that Cecil, Delabar or Santos would be able to take on the closer role. Porcello, a 24 year old that has been in the league for 5 years and is a ground ball pitcher, would be a fine return for Jannsen. He has top of the rotation potential and is a young pitcher we are missing.

GoHardSports

TorontoMarleauLeafs
Feb 22, 2010
Vaughan

Closer's dont have as much value as they once did. They arent these irreplacable gems that are impossible to find. No has has thought like that since moneyball. As long as you have strong relievers, any of those relievers can close out a game. If its Janssen for just Porcello you do that every day of the week and twice on sunday.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I think that Cecil, Delabar or Santos would be able to take on the closer role. Porcello, a 24 year old that has been in the league for 5 years and is a ground ball pitcher, would be a fine return for Jannsen. He has top of the rotation potential and is a young pitcher we are missing.

I like the idea of Porcello, he may be a number 4-5 guy but at least you know what your getting. With Morrow I can't say the same and he may even have to move to the bullpen, you would think this will be his last chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad