Confirmed with Link: Dhaliwal: Markstrom out 3 - 4 weeks

thenextone

Mar 19, 2005
New York City
Canucks need to tighten up their game anyways. They are lucky Markstrom is making 40 saves a night and they are scoring 5 goals while letting in 4. That won’t happen in the playoffs. Team defense is gonna be huge and this will be a good test to see if they have the people to do it.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Odd how this came out of nowhere - was he labouring at any point vs Boston? Was there a situation where we can pinpoint it happening? I wasn't suspecting this.

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland
And Markstrom didn't even notice it until he woke up the next morning

I'm not an expert on meniscus tears but hopefully that shows that it's not as bad as it sounds

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Time to see what this roster really is.
Exactly. Provided Markstrom comes back healthy, this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Let's see if this offence can carry a team without great goaltending. Let's see if the D can tighten up when there's no one to bail them out.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
if it is 3 weeks then we are looking at 10-11 games with two sets of back to back.

4 weeks has us 14-15 games with three sets of back to backs and two multi-day rests.

5 weeks leaves us at 19 with four back to backs and only two multi-day rests.

any longer is the rest of the season. hopefully Demko gets in a groove.

Reactions: Canucks5551

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I’m a plan for the worst kind of person. Im doubling the 3-4 weeks to 6-8. If he comes back sooner great.

I’m very intrigued to see what Demko can do.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Big test coming up for Demko - and the whole team - here. The team has been really quite fortunate on the injury front until this month (Boeser, Markstrom) but this is the sort of adversity any team that wants to contend needs to battle through. Hopefully the team as a whole snaps to attention and starts playing better team defense in front of Demko to help compensate for Markstrom being on the shelf.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
This is both a blessing and a curse for the Canucks.

Obviously losing your MVP Vezina calibre goaltender isn't at all ideal, but this team is at least blessed enough to have a high-end back-up in Demko to take the reigns. This is Demko's and the Canuck's opportunity to see what he can do.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Big test coming up for Demko - and the whole team - here. The team has been really quite fortunate on the injury front until this month (Boeser, Markstrom) but this is the sort of adversity any team that wants to contend needs to battle through. Hopefully the team as a whole snaps to attention and starts playing better team defense in front of Demko to help compensate for Markstrom being on the shelf.

Toffoli is huge to take pressure off the top 6. Demko will have to play well and I hope Stecher builds off last game

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Odd how this came out of nowhere - was he labouring at any point vs Boston? Was there a situation where we can pinpoint it happening? I wasn't suspecting this.

possibly just had a boatload of knee inflammation after the ducks game and thought it went down, and then again after the boston game.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
This is both a blessing and a curse for the Canucks.

Obviously losing your MVP Vezina calibre goaltender isn't at all ideal, but this team is at least blessed enough to have a high-end back-up in Demko to take the reigns. This is Demko's and the Canuck's opportunity to see what he can do.

In no way is this a blessing if you’re pro-playoffs.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
I’m a plan for the worst kind of person. Im doubling the 3-4 weeks to 6-8. If he comes back sooner great.

I’m very intrigued to see what Demko can do.
How often in professional sports do injuries take twice as long as predicted to heal?

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Well, we'll see what this team is made of. I found the team already plays more cautiously in front of Demko even when he gets some of the softer starts. That absolutely has to continue. Maybe a silver lining in the Marky injury.

Also this is literally the only way that Green would have played Demko for any significant length down this stretch.

I have faith in Demko but won't be too surprised if he is up and down in the remainder of the season and definitely this month. It's a really big transition to full time starter.

Reactions: timw33

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Didn't this just happen with Boeser?
Sort of, but not really. The team said he'd be reevaluated in three weeks, not that he'd return at that time, and it turned out the injury was different/more severe than first thought. Assuming Markstrom's injury is what the team thinks it is and the tear is where they think it is, which an MRI will show conclusively, he should be back within a month. Meniscus tears are somewhat less predictable than most other injuries, but doubling a timeline that already takes this into account isn't likely to yield a useful prediction.

Reactions: m9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad