Confirmed with Link: Dhaliwal: Markstrom out 3 - 4 weeks

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
He will be revalued in 2 weeks but I think we are looking at a 3-6 week timeline realistically. Even if he’s progressing well within two weeks, he still has to hit the ice and test it, get back into game shape and be comfortable again - that’s a week itself.

3 weeks minimum if everything goes right but this isn’t really something to rush back from, so I’m thinking 4 weeks.

Reactions: racerjoe

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Well in Miller's first year in Anaheim, the stats showed that the then 37 year old outplayed or was every bit as good as John Gibson. It's much easier to put up good stats as the backup goalie. Canucks fans have consistently held affection for backup goalies here for decades.

The Lack situation was different. He was playing the tougher starts, then proved it with his play down the stretch.

Haven’t seen anyone say that.

No one has said anything like this.

Maybe not exactly the same but we have seen a lot of this.

If Demko goes on a row
You can let Markstrom walk and use that cap space else where like Toffoli

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
good friend is a Doctor , he is what he said regarding this procedure for Markstorm.

Dummy version for me:

they drilled tiny holes in his knee so that they can insert tools that will Vacuum out the pieces of torn meniscus in the area. Once that happens that will relieve alot of pain and swelling then it will just be about rehabbing and strengthening. He says it can take anywhere from 3-6 weeks of recovery after procedure depending on the athlete. He also said that there will be discomfort and pain until the athlete gets full surgery but alot of athletes play through the discomfort and it doesnt effect their performance.

Alex Auld said he played 3 quarters of a season with a torn meniscus and through world championships in May before getting the surgery done in June. He says it was all about pain tolerance and rehab.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Maybe not exactly the same but we have seen a lot of this.

We're going to have to pick between Markstrom and Demko at some point, and if Demko can play good hockey down the stretch than it's a thing to think about since he's younger/cheaper/team controlled - that's what people are talking about. Not the "We don't NEED Markstrom at all" angle some people are trying to push it as.

We all know how good Markstrom is and has been. Why can't we ever just watch and see what happens, instead of freaking out? Seems like there's always a freak out now thinking about the "what ifs" about everything.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
We're going to have to pick between Markstrom and Demko at some point, and if Demko can play good hockey down the stretch than it's a thing to think about since he's younger/cheaper/team controlled - that's what people are talking about. Not the "We don't NEED Markstrom at all" angle some people are trying to push it as.

We all know how good Markstrom is and has been.
Agreed. Ideally we trade one down the road to get a top 3 young D. Cash in on area of strength to plug a weakness. If Demko can show he’s a bona fide starter (still a ways to go) then you probably keep him as the younger and cheaper guy who gives you a longer window with the core group. And then there’s the other wild card with DiPietro. Having three good goalies would set us up for a long time. Still too early to say how this all shakes out but it’s a great ‘problem’ to have if both Demko and DiPietro pan out.

Reactions: I am toxic

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

We all know how good Markstrom is and has been. Why can't we ever just watch and see what happens, instead of freaking out?

From a positive point of view, I agree with the bolded, given the underblown captastrophe that the team faces in the next couple seasons.

However, from a normative point of view, I believe the team should keep 2 goalies capable of playing at that level. Look at ARI who basically lost the season because they only had 1 goalie capable of playing at that level. Look to the Pens in their 2106 championship with Fleury and Murray.

Imagine getting into the SCF and then losing in 7 games because of injur . . . oh . . . oh, no . . . <sniff> . . . gotta go . . . sorry . . . <sniff> . . . <tears> . . . <uncontrollable shrieking> . . .

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Agreed. Ideally we trade one down the road to get a top 3 young D. Cash in on area of strength to plug a weakness. If Demko can show he’s a bona fide starter (still a ways to go) then you probably keep him as the younger and cheaper guy who gives you a longer window with the core group. And then there’s the other wild card with DiPietro. Having three good goalies would set us up for a long time.

I think the Canucks are going to have to decide this offseason. Markstrom is a UFA, he either is re-signed or isn't. If he is, Demko is likely gone whether it be via trade or to Seattle. If not re-signed, then it's Demko's time.

There really isn't much time to make a decision that's going to decide who the face in the crease will be for the foreseeable future IMO.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

We all know how good Markstrom is and has been. Why can't we ever just watch and see what happens, instead of freaking out? Seems like there's always a freak out now thinking about the "what ifs" about everything.

No the poster I quoted has been saying this since before the injury. He keeps trying to compare Markstrom to Bobrovsky. His angle has been there is hardly a difference between the two.

There is a entire chain of people saying Demko's win% is better.

Its happening.

Yes it is obviously something to think about, and something many here have been saying we needed to start way earlier so we know what we have in Demko, but don't deny people are talking about Demko being amazing since, well one game.

For the record this happens on both sides. People always push things from way to short of sample sizes.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think the Canucks are going to have to decide this offseason. Markstrom is a UFA, he either is re-signed or isn't. If he is, Demko is likely gone whether it be via trade or to Seattle. If not re-signed, then it's Demko's time.

There really isn't much time to make a decision that's going to decide who the face in the crease will be for the foreseeable future.
What about signing Markstrom then waiting until the expansion draft to decide who to keep? I guess it depends on what kind of No Trade clause Marky gets.

Obviously a lot will depend on what Demko shows down the stretch as well but I’d be more comfortable keeping both for another year and seeing where Demko is at.

Last go round we got what turned out to be Horvat for Schneider. I suppose if DiPietro pans out we could trade Demko before the expansion draft for a good return but ideally I’d rather move Markstrom if Demko proves he’s a starter.

There’s a lot of moving parts here and I think we will know more next year what the best option is.

Last edited:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
From a positive point of view, I agree with the bolded, given the underblown captastrophe that the team faces in the next couple seasons.

However, from a normative point of view, I believe the team should keep 2 goalies capable of playing at that level. Look at ARI who basically lost the season because they only had 1 goalie capable of playing at that level. Look to the Pens in their 2106 championship with Fleury and Murray.

Imagine getting into the SCF and then losing in 7 games because of injur . . . oh . . . oh, no . . . <sniff> . . . gotta go . . . sorry . . . <sniff> . . . <tears> . . . <uncontrollable shrieking> . . .

I guess they could do that until it's time to sign Demko to a new deal and he is an RFA after all, but with the cap issues moving forward, I don't know if that will be possible..? Running two capable goalies seems to be the new wave of handling goalies instead of riding them for 90% of the season.

Rask/Halak
Holtby/Samsonov
Murray/Jarry
Greiss/Varlamov
Shesterkin/Georgiev
Grubauer/Francouz
Bishop/Khudobin
Rinne/Saros
Kuemper/Raanta
Fleury/Lehner

All of these teams are either locked into a playoff spot, or right in the thick of things - don't think it's really a coincidence all of them have a tandem in goal they can go to at any time.

I feel like the Canucks have under-utilized Demko a bit this year and could've started more games to let Markstrom rest a bit more.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
No the poster I quoted has been saying this since before the injury. He keeps trying to compare Markstrom to Bobrovsky. His angle has been there is hardly a difference between the two.

There is a entire chain of people saying Demko's win% is better.

Its happening.

Yes it is obviously something to think about, and something many here have been saying we needed to start way earlier so we know what we have in Demko, but don't deny people are talking about Demko being amazing since, well one game.

For the record this happens on both sides. People always push things from way to short of sample sizes.

Yeah, that's an absurd take IMO but there are those on both sides. I've personally been wanting Demko to split 50/50 with Markstrom for a long time because we NEED to see what he can do. I get Markstrom has been amazing, but Demko needs games. Doesn't even have to be a straight 50/50 split since Marky has been too good for that.

I am a bit scared of a Markstrom extension, which is why I'm hoping Demko can step in and provide not too big of a drop off from Marky's level of play.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I guess they could do that until it's time to sign Demko to a new deal and he is an RFA after all, but with the cap issues moving forward, I don't know if that will be possible..? Running two capable goalies seems to be the new wave of handling goalies instead of riding them for 90% of the season.

Rask/Halak
Holtby/Samsonov
Murray/Jarry
Greiss/Varlamov
Shesterkin/Georgiev
Grubauer/Francouz
Bishop/Khudobin
Rinne/Saros
Kuemper/Raanta
Fleury/Lehner

All of these teams are either locked into a playoff spot, or right in the thick of things - don't think it's really a coincidence all of them have a tandem in goal they can go to at any time.

I feel like the Canucks have under-utilized Demko a bit this year and could've started more games to let Markstrom rest a bit more.

Agreed - except I think a lot of those teams you listed had more . . . confidence? . . . of making playoffs and had the luxury of turning to their 1B more often.

The way our team defense was going and given how close the playoff race in the West/Pacific, I can understand Green going to Marky more often (even though I think Demko immediately demonstrated he actually could get the job done, was it the first game against STL in STL where he basically pulled a Marky?)

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Agreed - except I think a lot of those teams you listed had more . . . confidence? . . . of making playoffs and had the luxury of turning to their 1B more often.

The way our team defense was going and given how close the playoff race in the West/Pacific, I can understand Green going to Marky more often (even though I think Demko immediately demonstrated he actually could get the job done, was it the first game against STL in STL where he basically pulled a Marky?)

Oh I understand the reasoning of riding Markstrom too - hard to take him out of the crease when he's playing at this level, plus the added pressure of the Pacific teams constantly shuffling positioning and needing points.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Oh I understand the reasoning of riding Markstrom too - hard to take him out of the crease when he's playing at this level, plus the added pressure of the Pacific teams constantly shuffling positioning and needing points.

It's really fascinating - the extra workload increases the risk of injury (which has occurred, correlation yes, causation who knows?) - but otoh if Marky can come back quickly rested and rehabbed with enough time to get into game shape (and Demko performs like I think he can and gets us solidly into a playoff spot) then it could be the best of all possible outcomes. Not something to aim for, just more fortuitous circumstances.

Reactions: PG Canuck

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Yeah, that's an absurd take IMO but there are those on both sides. I've personally been wanting Demko to split 50/50 with Markstrom for a long time because we NEED to see what he can do. I get Markstrom has been amazing, but Demko needs games. Doesn't even have to be a straight 50/50 split since Marky has been too good for that.

I am a bit scared of a Markstrom extension, which is why I'm hoping Demko can step in and provide not too big of a drop off from Marky's level of play.

Then we are actually pretty close.

I agree with the first half of this. I would have been using them as a duo much more.

I am not scared of a Markstrom contract as I think if you sign him for 5 years, you just need him to play to a level of the contract for the first 3. I think a 5 year extension means you are trading Demko, and hoping Depietro is the next in line, and two season in the 4 and 5 year of Markstrom his contract should be low.

However if Demko proves to be ready for the starter, I think you walk away from Markstrom.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
It's really fascinating - the extra workload increases the risk of injury (which has occurred, correlation yes, causation who knows?) - but otoh if Marky can come back quickly rested and rehabbed with enough time to get into game shape (and Demko performs like I think he can and gets us solidly into a playoff spot) then it could be the best of all possible outcomes. Not something to aim for, just more fortuitous circumstances.

It's been a awhile since we had a goalie controversy in Vancouver anyways. We need something new to discuss to the bitter end.

Reactions: racerjoe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad