Rumor: Dhaliwal- Keeps hearing Habs want Boeser. Claims that Habs have wanted Boeser for a long time, previously offered Romanov.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Just insert “Habs want…” or “Habs in on…” or some variant of that into any trade proposal or rumour for media outlets to drive up traffic.
It’s funny that no other media (especially Montreal based media) have reported anything about this. Only Dhaliwal and Eklund have reported Montreal has any interest in Boeser. That fact alone should tell you all you need to know.

Reactions: viceroy and McJedi

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This IS a swap of questionable contracts. Same thing you said very clearly applies to Boeser too.

Thank you. Call me crazy but I'm fine with being stuck with Anderson. He fits in our room and his cap hit is not as high as Boeser. Anderson is like $1M overpaid today but the cap is going to increase the further his contract goes. Anderson is by far the better skater and I'm not worried about decline one bit. Decline concerns with me are with average to below average skaters as they head towards 30+ years. Like Gallagher and Lucic for example.

Personally, I'd decline a Anderson/Boeser swap. I'd offer Armia instead and I'd want retention on Boeser to even the cap in/out a bit better. If that was possible, I might add a 3rd rounder.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Thank you. Call me crazy but I'm fine with being stuck with Anderson. He fits in our room and his cap hit is not as high as Boeser. Anderson is like $1M overpaid today but the cap is going to increase the further his contract goes. Anderson is by far the better skater and I'm not worried about decline one bit. Decline concerns with me are with average to below average skaters as they head towards 30+ years. Like Gallagher and Lucic for example.

Personally, I'd decline a Anderson/Boeser swap. I'd offer Armia instead and I'd want retention on Boeser to even the cap in/out a bit better. If that was possible, I might add a 3rd rounder.
I’m with with. I’d choose to have Anderson over Boeser. the idea you’d add to Anderson to get Boeser is nonsense if that is what the poster was implying.

And if Vancouver actually turned down Romanov for Boeser. That makes two very stupid GMs on the same phone call. That trade would have been so bad for the Habs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I’m with with. I’d choose to have Anderson over Boeser. the idea you’d add to Anderson to get Boeser is nonsense if that is what the poster was implying.

And if Vancouver actually turned down Romanov for Boeser. That makes two very stupid GMs on a phone call. That trade would have been so bad for the Habs.

Armia and a 3rd would be my offer for Boeser and not even sure I want to absorb the extra $3.4M in cap hit to be honest. Both have the same term left. Anderson's name has been brought up a lot but it's mostly Media/Fan talk. Gorton and Hughes like Anderson but they also like futures in our rebuild/transition years. So it's pry away narrative which is not likely to be offered to us so Anderson stays.

I heard of the Romanov for Boeser trade talk. Was that Hughes or Bergevin? Bergevin right?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Armia and a 3rd would be my offer for Boeser and not even sure I want to absorb the extra $3.4M in cap hit to be honest. Both have the same term left. Anderson's name has been brought up a lot but it's mostly Media/Fan talk. Gorton and Hughes like Anderson but they also like futures in our rebuild/transition years. So it's pry away narrative which is not likely to be offered to us so Anderson stays.

I heard of the Romanov for Boeser trade talk. Was that Hughes or Bergevin? Bergevin right?
I don’t believe Habs offered Romanov for Boeser. What I suspect is they offered something like Hoffman or Gallagher + Romanov for Boeser. The Habs would need to dump a bad contract in a deal that swaps Romanov for Boeser.

The Habs need to focus on building their core and losing as many bad contracts as they can so they can pay their young core. The Habs need to be focused on 2024 and thereafter when their window starts to open.

So the idea you’d add a Boeser makes no sense to me. He wouldn’t be core. He wouldn’t make the Habs noticeably better either and he’s not someone you’d want or need in 2024 or beyond. Certainly not at $6.65mm per.

This trade thesis makes no sense to me and this new Habs GM doesn’t strike me as an idiot like Phillys GM or Vancouver’s GM or Edmonton’s GM. I doubt the Habs are in on Boeser. Vancouver press is always stirring the pot about potential trades. None of which have come to pass lately. Just a bunch of click bait from apparent “insiders”

Last edited:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
He had a hit start and earned a bridge contract under the old rules where the QO was based on the last year of the contract. Since then he’s had injuries and has struggled. His current contract was a mistake the second it was signed. He’s not worth $6.65m at his current level of play. He can’t skate and if he’s not snoring he doesn’t bring anything else to the team.
Oh my I didn’t mean to actually post that.

Was gonna mention he lead our team in scoring and points in 2018 and 2020. Scored 29 26 23 and 23 goals. 6.6 is a fair and he’s 25.

Not trying to say he’s worth a high price but I’m ok with actually keeping him.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I don’t believe Habs offered Romanov for Boeser. What I suspect is they offered something like Hoffman or Gallagher + Romanov for Boeser. The Habs would need to dump a bad contract in a deal that swaps Romanov for Boeser.

The Habs need to focus on building their core and losing as many bad contracts as they can so they can pay their young core. The Habs need to be focused on 2024 and thereafter when their window starts to open.

So the idea you’d add a Boeser makes no sense to me. He wouldn’t be core. He wouldn’t make the Habs noticeably better either and he’s not someone you’d want or need in 2024 or beyond. Certainly not at $6.65mm per.

This trade thesis makes no sense to me and this new Habs GM doesn’t strike me as an idiot like Phillys GM or Vancouver’s GM or Edmonton’s GM. I doubt the Habs are in on Boeser. Vancouver press is always stirring the pot about potential trades. None of which have come to pass lately. Just a bunch of clip bait from apparent “insiders”
The whole Boeser to Montreal rumour was apparently from a couple years ago when Benning and Bergevin were still GM's.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

This trade thesis makes no sense to me and this new Habs GM doesn’t strike me as an idiot like Phillys GM or Vancouver’s GM or Edmonton’s GM. I doubt the Habs are in on Boeser. Vancouver press is always stirring the pot about potential trades. None of which have come to pass lately. Just a bunch of clip bait from apparent “insiders”

Yeah, I do think the Habs knocked on the door before and likely again lately but I don't think he turns the needle for us during the rebuild/transition years. We are still going to hoard our futures and with Boeser, the best we can do is probably Armia and a 3rd rounder. If another team trumps that, let them.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Find this hard to believe, especially since he has 2 more years after this one at $6.65M. Would make him the second highest paid forward on the Habs...so unless they are taking Gallagher or Anderson back, nope, thanks.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Yeah, I do think the Habs knocked on the door before and likely again lately but I don't think he turns the needle for us during the rebuild/transition years. We are still going to hoard our futures and with Boeser, the best we can do is probably Armia and a 3rd rounder. If another team trumps that, let them.
Given they have the same term, I see the rationale. It’s an insignificant trade it it gets made.

The whole Boeser to Montreal rumour was apparently from a couple years ago when Benning and Bergevin were still GM's.
Got it. Thanks for the context. And yes. Two dumb GMs. Boeser was a more valuable asset then as well.

His new contract this summer did his value no favors.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Given they have the same term, I see the rationale. It’s an insignificant trade it it gets made.

Insignificant is a good word of choice. Basically gets them a little future dart and cuts the cap space while they have a body during the rebuild/reset years (again). I don't expect that trade to happen but I wonder what teams are actually offering.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Boeser is actually worth his contract though, unlike almost all of the veteran scrubs on the Habs team. So if we're actually shipping money out, it is definitely a smart idea for the Habs. But if we ship out cap dumps Boeser's value goes up, so it really depends on how highly Vancouver values Boeser

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Boeser is actually worth his contract though, unlike almost all of the veteran scrubs on the Habs team. So if we're actually shipping money out, it is definitely a smart idea for the Habs. But if we ship out cap dumps Boeser's value goes up, so it really depends on how highly Vancouver values Boeser
Is he? really? $6.65M a year? Just had his worst season ever last year and has never surpassed 56 points so from an offence perspective alone he does not come close.

Reactions: viceroy

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Is he? really? $6.65M a year? Just had his worst season ever last year and has never surpassed 56 points so from an offence perspective alone he does not come close.
The scarier thing is his back injuries. Those are so hard to manage.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
They wanted Boeser but settled with Dadonov hockey is fun.
Keep in mind this would have been before Cole Caufield ever suited up for Montreal. He’s been a game changer.

Also. Dadanov was a condition of getting out from underneath the Weber contract. Small price to pay

Last edited:

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
If the Canucks were actually offered Romanov for Boeser and declined then whoever was overseeing things whether it was Benning, Rutherford or Allvin needs to be shot into the sun.

Absolutely brutal if true that the Canucks turned that down. Just add to the list of directionless clown moves.

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
Sure new gm. but what about the Pro Scouts? they are the ones usually advising the GM. Are they still around?

There's interest for sure as Dhaliwal says Habs is the team he is hearing most thats intereted in Boeser right now.
Maybe you don't know, but adding Montreal or Toronto names to a trade rumor is journalism #1 rule for clicks and generating conversations.

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
You have to put some perspective here. Boeser had 55 in 62, 56 in 69, 45 in 57 and 49 in 56 before last year bad season (46 in 71).

Injuries IS the problem, not the offence. Those seasons were on pace for 73, 67, 65 and 72 points over 82 games. He's on pace for 60 pts right now, which could mean that last year was just a fluke/bad year.

I think he's the kind of project that Hughes/Gorton would 100% take a shot at if they can swap a bad contract for him and the attached cost isn't too high. They seem to be unable to find a buyer for all those forwards, so this might become the new plan?

If they think he can thrive under MSL coaching style, he's only signed for 2 seasons (after this one) and might quickly become a very nice trading chip at next year deadline or the year after (with retention), depending on where the team is in the rebuild AND if he actually increased his value.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest

So.. with that in mind what are Canucks fans realistically willing to take for him to create the cap room?

Any significant future pieces are out of the question imo. Only secondary future pieces and middle six forwards.

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver
I’m honestly shocked at how canucks fans have soured on Boeser.

I think this is a classic case of a player who needs a change of scenery. He’s had a tough few years personally and the team has been a constant tire fire for 2-3 years. Give him a new team and he will be reborn.

If I were another GM I’d be all of this trying to get him for Pennies on the dollar.
He's the new whipping boy even though he has been far from the problem.

He may not be putting up goals but he's still a very good playmaker. When he starts getting hot he will be fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad