Rumor: Dhaliwal- Keeps hearing Habs want Boeser. Claims that Habs have wanted Boeser for a long time, previously offered Romanov.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Maybe it’s unduly influenced by the number of threads involving the Canucks on this board, but Vancouver media seems super gossipy. It makes Montreal media look tame by comparison!
Dhaliwal and Taylor (mostly Dhaliwal) trying to break into the "Insider" game since their host radio station shut down. Dhaliwal seems to be more actively quoted but they do a podcast together now. They both already were de facto insiders from their years in the business but they are trying to position themselves alongside guys like Friedman, capturing that gossip segment. Lots of HFBoards threads with "Dhaliwal" and that's what they are going for.

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
This feels distinctly like, "quick, blame the old GM for being dumb" sort of spin, distraction tactics.

It's distorting a previous situation through the lens of today though. If you were offered Romanov and a pick for Boeser and a bad contract today, you'd be a moron not to take it and run away gleefully.

But at the time, Boeser was very much looked at as "part of the core", Romanov was a complete unknown and questionmark to even come over to North America (for a team in Vancouver that was having trouble retaining Russian talent at the time). He was a good prospect, but hadn't played an NHL game yet. Boeser was also on a very good contract at the time.

If the Habs are still genuinely interested in Boeser...despite having a completely different regime for BOTH teams involved here...then yeah, let's heat it up and get a deal done. But it feels more like someone spurred Dhaliwal to fire up some "Benning sucks" fervor to distract from the fact this new regime are still kinda waffling and floundering and have a complete PR mess on their hands with the Horvat situation.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
I'd take Armia and a 2nd for Boeser as well.
I’m honestly shocked at how canucks fans have soured on Boeser.

I think this is a classic case of a player who needs a change of scenery. He’s had a tough few years personally and the team has been a constant tire fire for 2-3 years. Give him a new team and he will be reborn.

If I were another GM I’d be all of this trying to get him for Pennies on the dollar.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Dhaliwal and Taylor (mostly Dhaliwal) trying to break into the "Insider" game since their host radio station shut down. Dhaliwal seems to be more actively quoted but they do a podcast together now. They both already were de facto insiders from their years in the business but they are trying to position themselves alongside guys like Friedman, capturing that gossip segment. Lots of HFBoards threads with "Dhaliwal" and that's what they are going for.

Taylor is clueless. Dhaliwal is a mouthpiece for a handful of high profile Player Agencies. He has a boatload of "connections" because of that, but it also means he's a go-to for spin doctoring and floats a lot of complete garbage out there. It's a very, "you scratch my back, i'll scratch yours" sort of deal. He gets a lot of "scoops" in return for shilling a lot of whatever his patrons want him to the rest of the time.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

I think this is a classic case of a player who needs a change of scenery. He’s had a tough few years personally and the team has been a constant tire fire for 2-3 years. Give him a new team and he will be reborn.

If I were another GM I’d be all of this trying to get him for Pennies on the dollar.

It's absolutely a "change of scenery" scenario. I just don't think he's really cut out for the brutality of the Vancouver market. It's one of the worst, most vicious places to play in the NHL. When it turns on a guy, it turns fast, and it turns hard.

Boeser is also the sort of player than can be really frustrating. He's a "high upside" goal-scorer. But there's not much else to him. He's not fast, he's not physical, he's not particularly robust defensively. He doesn't have great playmaking instincts or any particularly standout skillset in general...aside from being a guy who is very good at being on a scoring line and collecting points. There's value in that, but it's also really frustrating.

I don't think he'll be "reborn" on another team. But he's absolutely a good candidate to "buy low" on a guy who could be a 60pt fixture on one of your top lines and top PP unit, if you're a team that needs that "points producer" skillset that he provides. If you've already got all the other stuff out of the way and just need that offensive boost to plug in and complement your top skill guys...he's your guy. And he's a generally really likable person, and very handsome too. He's "marketable". Just not in Vancouver anymore.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
We can use Dubois as a core to a 2nd line.

Which means a huge NO for Boeser....unless it's for Ghally straight up.

I love Ghally but his time and leadership has sailed.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015

I'm not soured on him by any means, I just think we need a 2 year rebuild and he doesn't fit that time line. Get something for him and weaponize the cap for more assets. Use the assets to build around EP.

We can use Dubois as a core to a 2nd line.

Which means a huge NO for Boeser....unless it's for Ghally straight up.

I love Ghally but his time and leadership has sailed.
Although it is probably highly possible, this is not something your management will bank on.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Although it is probably highly possible, this is not something your management will bank on.
Dubois is going to be an 8x8 signing so I can't see how Boeser fits in unless there is an equally large contract going the other way.

If that contract is Anderson, then it's not a gain. If it's Ghally, we win. Ghally and a prospect, I'm good.

What we really need is a young right defenseman more then another forward. But, if there is a steal in the making,, why not.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Dubois is going to be an 8x8 signing so I can't see how Boeser fits in unless there is an equally large contract going the other way.

If that contract is Anderson, then it's not a gain. If it's Ghally, we win. Ghally and a prospect, I'm good.

What we really need is a young right defenseman more then another forward. But, if there is a steal in the making,, why not.
Just like how Stamkos was guaranteed to sign in Toronto. Until it happens, I doubt your management plans for him signing in 24-25 unless they trade for his RFA right this off season. For all they know he could get traded somewhere and signs a 2 or 3 year deal before eventually becoming a Candien if at all. Just because he would like to sign and play there, doesn't guarantee he actually does.

Reactions: GreenLine

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Maybe it’s unduly influenced by the number of threads involving the Canucks on this board, but Vancouver media seems super gossipy. It makes Montreal media look tame by comparison!
Doesn't help when ppl take what's said on the radio or twitter out of context and then start spam posting threads with fake updates while no Mods step in to stop it being spammed on the main boards.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If they see Boeser as a part of their core, then this is absolutely the perfect time to get him as its been reported that the Canucks are willing to sell low on Boeser just to get cap space.

Boeser is only 25 yrs old. If the Habs can get him for cheap now then why not pull the trigger.
The same reason that it was stupid to trade futures for Dvorak. They're nowhere near being a competitive franchise. By the time they're in the playoff conversation he'll be a year or two from UFA and in his late 20s. Assuming they draft well, there's no guarantee that he hasn't been replaced by that point.

Teams that are rebuilding shouldn't make trades like this. They're stupid.

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
I'm still very much if the mindset that if Boeser does want out, and I could see that possibility, it's that he is wanting to go somewhere quieter and possibly closer to home. I think that even if we humored this trade idea, MTL would have to be well aware that the likelihood of him signing again are slim to none

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
The same reason that it was stupid to trade futures for Dvorak. They're nowhere near being a competitive franchise. By the time they're in the playoff conversation he'll be a year or two from UFA and in his late 20s. Assuming they draft well, there's no guarantee that he hasn't been replaced by that point.

Teams that are rebuilding shouldn't make trades like this. They're stupid.
Maybe they think a pump and dump is possible? Playing PP1 and top 6 this season and next and sell for profit in the final season?

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Why? Boeser is only 25 yrs old and is under contract for 2 more seaosns after this one.
Rebuilding, taking on big contracts of players with risk is the last thing a team that is in that direction should make.

We should know, we've been doing it in different ways for 8 years and we're a laughing stock for it.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Armia is an easy buyout and if it gets us MTL 2nd (or maybe Fla 1st) it is worth it IMO
I disagree, a buy out still has implications.

And for 6 million in buyout money, it cost Toronto and Calgary a first for that much cap dump. A late first to be sure, but Florida's first for two more years of Armia is fine, but I doubt Boeser's value is that low as to contribute nothing to a trade.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I'm assuming it would be something like

Hoffman + b prospect + 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Assuming the Dubois trade happens. It would let them role

Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Dubois - Dach - Boeser

Which would be a solid top 6.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
I disagree, a buy out still has implications.

And for 6 million in buyout money, it cost Toronto and Calgary a first for that much cap dump. A late first to be sure, but Florida's first for two more years of Armia is fine, but I doubt Boeser's value is that low as to contribute nothing to a trade.
Rumors are a 3rd is likely the best we get. I'd take 3.2m in cap space and Fla 1st or 2.1m in cap space and MTL 2nd with Boeser over a 3rd. Again, both options are easy and cheap buy outs if we decide we need the extra cap space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad