GDT: Devils @ Wings - 7PM - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I was a big fan of Little Richard as a kid. I had a couple records when I was really little and just starting to understand what music was. I was actually really into Rod Stewart at the same age, which was like 3-5.

I feel a little bad for insulting Mr. Penniman by using his moniker for a disgraceful NHL player, but it was the most PG name I could give him for what I really call him in my house and amongst friends.

PG my ass

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Every time I've eaten Two Boots I've walked away unimpressed. Yeah it beats the shit out of major chain pizza but there are thousands of better options in the NY/NJ area. Many of them walking distance from a Two Boots.

Reactions: Oneiro

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Yes, get your ticket rep on the phone now.

Guttersniped, how do I get your credit card number to make the purchase? It is too early for me to use my "Boston Bruins" "Discovery" card. I appreciate you helping me financially. Card number, please.

Nah...if you look at the historical data on Leading after 1 period and then Leading after 2 periods... It's eye popping.

Most teams, even not so good ones, don't lose all that often when leading after 2. And even leading after 1 is pretty lopsided towards a positive outcome.

So your not giving any credit to the goaltender Vitek for winning this game or any part of it?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
So your not giving any credit to the goaltender Vitek for winning this game or any part of it?
Pretty much none at all ..Vitek or McKenzie (past games)

Goalies today are the result of the play in front of them.... mostly...the difference between the vast majority of them is so miniscule it doesn't even make a difference when you take into account the quality of the team and defense in front of them.

There use to be value in having an elite goalie it does make a difference anymore...these starting goalies are largely interchangeable parts. With the only difference at the extremes. And that could change from year to year...wtf is that?

You want want to squabble over 1/4 of 1 percentage point at the end of the year, have at it....it looks silly to me.

But I really do like Luxardo cherries.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maine Fan

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Even Ellios pizza is good.
Lord help me
F41E059F-1DBE-40DD-B9FA-EA236D6DAFB8.jpeg

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Some of these are kind of funny, but others are kind of cringy.

They put him on TV, it's gotta be coming up on 8 or 9 years now.

Right after that took that tool Bill Lindsay off they brought Denis Potvin to do color commentary again and sometime around they added Randy Moller as their between the benches commentator.

Speaking of Bill Lindsay and cringy, one of the WOAT calls was when Marty turned the puck over behind the net in game 5 of the Devils/Panthers series in 2012 and Bill Lindsay exclaimed ''Now that's a playoff goal if I ever saw one''. I couldn't believe my ears. My first thought was ''Yeah, sure it is. Okay. That's cause you ain't seen a playoff goal since 1996 dumbass''.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I eat enough frozen pizza, but I'm not a fan of Ellio's. Never have been.

I can't even think if we even have it down here. It might just be a Northeast thing.

Then again, it's probably right in front of my face every time I'm in the frozen section.

Maybe if I tried it today I'd like it. It's been over 20 years since I had a bite and well over 30 years since I consumed it semi-regularly.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Pretty much none at all ..Vitek or McKenzie (past games)

Goalies today are the result of the play in front of them.... mostly...the difference between the vast majority of them is so miniscule it doesn't even make a difference when you take into account the quality of the team and defense in front of them.

There use to be value in having an elite goalie it does make a difference anymore...these starting goalies are largely interchangeable parts. With the only difference at the extremes. And that could change from year to year...wtf is that?

You want want to squabble over 1/4 of 1 percentage point at the end of the year, have at it....it looks silly to me.

But I really do like Luxardo cherries.
I mostly agree with you that there’s not much difference in goalies around the league.

There’s very few consistently elite ones and a whole lot of average ones.

And then there’s also about as many really bad ones (or as few if that’s how you wanna look at it) as there are elite ones.

And Mackenzie Blackwood just so happens to be one of those really bad ones.

Reactions: Guadana

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I mostly agree with you that there’s not much difference in goalies around the league.

I'm beginning to run on the theory that there's a differentiation between average goalies based on "timely saves". I wonder if there's some kind of metric for it that the analytic geeks have come up with.

I mean, there are some goalies that may have their save% reduced by giving up garbage goals, but makes the big save either early in the game or early/late in a period when a bad goal can be demoralizing, or maybe when the game is tied or within 1 goal.

Also, I feel like goals that go through a goalie (5 hole or between the arms and body) seem to be more demoralizing, since it's perceived to be a weak goal.

I dunno. Just brainstorming here.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

And then there’s also about as many really bad ones (or as few if that’s how you wanna look at it) as there are elite ones.

And Mackenzie Blackwood just so happens to be one of those really bad ones.
And all the really bad ones from last year just happen to be on basement dwelling teams. 61 goalies played at least 20 games last year... of the bottom 10 only Petr Mrazek played for a playoff team. Columbus, Seattle, New Jersey, Detroit, Montreal all well represented in the bottom 10..the bottom third is pretty much represented by bad teams...bad meaning nonplayoff teams. And the kicker is I'll bet at least a couple of the "really bad ones" end up in the top 20 or so as their team improves this year.

If you can be 55 out of 61 one year then 15 out of 61 the following year either on a different team or an improved team... I'm not sure how much you actually bring to the table?

We see this exact example with Grubauer going from 6th in the league in 2021 with Colorado to 58th of 61 goalies in 2022 with Seattle. He became a "really bad one" overnight.

I wish I had a magic wand and could somehow have watched a 2022 Shesterkin play the months of December through January on the 2022 NJ Devils...He would probably run back to the KHL.

Last edited:

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
And all the really bad ones from last year just happen to be on basement dwelling teams. 61 goalies played at least 20 games last year... of the bottom 10 only Petr Mrazek played for a playoff team. Columbus, Seattle, New Jersey, Detroit, Montreal all well represented in the bottom 10..the bottom third is pretty much represented by bad teams...bad meaning nonplayoff teams. And the kicker is I'll bet at least a couple of the "really bad ones" end up in the top 20 or so as their team improves this year.

If you can be 55 out of 61 one year then 15 out of 61 the following year either on a different team or an improved team... I'm not sure how much you actually bring to the table?

We see this exact example with Grubauer going from 6th in the league in 2021 with Colorado to 58th of 61 goalies in 2022 with Seattle. He became a "really bad one" overnight.

I wish I had a magic wand and could somehow have watched a 2022 Shesterkin play the months of December through January on the 2022 NJ Devils...He would probably run back to the KHL.

You make a lot of wild random guesses and then decide a key position doesn’t matter, but ok.

Goalies being inconsistent and team defense being a thing too doesn’t mean goalies don’t matter. It’s a difficult position with it’s own coach.

My pet theory: I think fans don’t like to think how much goaltending effects their team’s fortunes because it’s depressing. It’s a volatile position and only few teams are really set at it. It’s always goalie musical chairs.

And good teams have been kneecapped by bad goaltending. Examples just off my head: 2020-21 Calgary Flames & 2018-19 Minnesota Wild.

And good goalies’ Save % get whacked on bad teams but that doesn’t make them bad. (There’s other stats you can look at too.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese