GDT: Devils @ Wings - 7PM - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
This is true, but in a game where your team is struggling to finish you need goalies to make a big save as well. In all three Devils losses, that has been the opposite. Sometimes you need your goalie to hold the fort so you can eek out a win or get to OT for the loser point. Blackwood did that in the San Jose game. The three losses on the other hand were utter goaltending meltdowns by Vanacek and Blackwood.
Yes. When the game is still openly contested you need the goalie to keep it that way....

The caveat is duration. Asking the goalie to keep you tied or close for 8 minutes vs asking the goalie to keep you tied for 40 minutes is not the same ask. That duration is solely determined by the offense.

If it's taking your team 30+ shots to score the 2nd goal you will lose a lot... probably some where in the neighborhood of 80% of the time.

Last edited:

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
Yes. When the game is still openly contested you need the goalie to keep it that way....

The caveat is duration. Asking the goalie to keep you tied or close for 8 minutes vs asking the goalie to keep you tied for 40 minutes is not the same ask. That duration is solely determined by the offense.

If it's taking your team 30+ shots to score the 2nd goal you will lose a lot... probably some where in the neighborhood of 80% of the time.
Asking a goalie to keep it tied when you're dominating possession and limiting high quality chances against is not a crazy ask for 40 minutes. And it's not like it's just that Blackwood and Vanacek gave up a second goal allowing the Devils to continue the pressure and potentially get an equalizer. The Philly, Detroit and Washington games were complete goaltending implosions that removed any possibly of the Devils getting a point in the standings. So yes, goaltending is still a massive issue on this team.

Last edited:

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
My issues with the NHL, is that they ref’s are mostly there to keep the game from getting out of hand.

With the Devils being smaller on offense they have and will continue to struggle against “Heavy” teams.

I feels like the refs barely call interference and obstruction. The Caps were good a jamming the rush. They cap clip guys and block their path to the puck because there is 1). little chance it will be called and 2). The Devils PP isn’t a real threat.

Detroit was outplayed both games. It’s crazy, the new system has the Devils outshooting opponents 2:1. You can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
But please can we start having some of these dominating wins (this and the Isles game) at home. It will do wonders for the fans.

Honestly I don’t remember when we last beat the Red Wings and this convincingly. I think probably they swept us last year and blew us out too.

Thats what i was thinking as well. Why does it take a home beating to realize they need to step up each time. Should be the other way around! Put on a good showing for the fans.... Weird its this way.

Just keep winning.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

NJ has scored 23 goals in their 7 games. Roughly 3.3 per game. They are 15th overall in goals per game. In points percentage they are tied with several teams for 15th overall. So again that's league average. In goals against per game they are currently 20th but if they can get the goals against down from 3.14 to 3 even they will be in a big grouping of teams tied for 12th overall. The shooting percentage aside, I think this is more or less the starting point for what you'd expect. Hardly perfect, but it's light years better than last year. That's roughly a 94 point pace? Maybe or maybe not a playoff team but at least a bubble team. At times they will ask the goalie to bail them out, probably too often. Other times they will carry play enough to need only a 9 out of 10 save performance. The shots are a bit of an anomaly. The shots for likely come down a bit and the shots against likely come up a bit but they are relatively close to respectable if the goals against can come down to even just a bit under 3 per game.

Reactions: Guadana

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
But please can we start having some of these dominating wins (this and the Isles game) at home. It will do wonders for the fans.

Honestly I don’t remember when we last beat the Red Wings and this convincingly. I think probably they swept us last year and blew us out too.
The Ducks game was the closest we go to that; I don't think I've ever been in a crowd like that one, so close to mutiny after the first twenty minutes, sinking into a quiet depression, but then just being completely turned around as the team roared to life.

So basically the last 40 minutes of the Ducks game fit that mould, but more would be appreciated. If they play the Avs hard on Friday the crowd will likely be appreciative even if they lose, but it'd be *really* nice to come out strong against Columbus on Sunday since you know the crowd will be having some fun at Johnny Hockey's expense.

Oh, and Two Boots in Jersey City is fun. I can't say it's my favorite, but their sheer audacity with some of their combinations deserves a shout out, and they charge a pretty fair price for some slices and a pitcher of beer.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Nah...if you look at the historical data on Leading after 1 period and then Leading after 2 periods... It's eye popping.

Most teams, even not so good ones, don't lose all that often when leading after 2. And even leading after 1 is pretty lopsided towards a positive outcome.
You were literally disproved on this today. We have had shit goaltending when leading the last few years.

Reactions: Bleedred

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
1111.jpg

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Were did Bratt come from, i say as a Swede. Could he be a bit underrated?
A Swede who is unaware of the Bratt phenomenon? Interesting.

I think he's been underrated since prior to the draft when he outscored Nylander as teammates in their D-1 season, no way should he have lasted till the 6th round. Then, post draft, in his D+2 draft had a huge preseason with the Devils. Was really a revelation at that point, and has been in the league ever since. Had been an analytic's darling for a few years before breaking out in point production last year. I think he's past the point of being underrated now though. The league knows.

Reactions: ZEBROA and glenwo2

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Should I buy my Cup Round tickets now? Do they walk through the playoffs to the final round?
Yes, get your ticket rep on the phone now.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

I know doggone well my satisfaction level isn’t where it should be because the only home games I’ve been at so far are the Wings and Caps embarrassments. It doesn’t ‘feel’ like the team is 4-3, especially with the struggle to score goals before last night

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I know doggone well my satisfaction level isn’t where it should be because the only home games I’ve been at so far are the Wings and Caps embarrassments. It doesn’t ‘feel’ like the team is 4-3, especially with the struggle to score goals before last night

The Ducks game was good (after the 1st) and the sharks game had a more balanced feel... Good atmosphere then.

But yeah the caps game felt like last season all over again by the 2nd period. PTSD.

(And then again like world beaters vs. Detroit or isles)

I do feel though... This season has a very different feel. I dont necessarily get the vibe every game the team will collapse on a moments notice overall.... Caps game aside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad