GDT: Devils @ Wings - 7PM - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Just wait until Little Richard starts Friday’s game.
Then I would start buying your paranoia about the organization ‘wanting to make Blackwood happen’, Vanecek was just as good in his game last night as Blackwood was during his wins. No reason not to at least give them the same treatment. Especially with two days off before the game and another day after it

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I honeslty would just go a pure 50/50 split and make that clear to both goalies so they can prepare for it.
Stop this.

Why do people keep saying this? You go with whoever is winning/playing better. That was Blackwood for a stretch and now it’s Vanecek’s turn with the “Ball”.

Enough is enough with this 50/50 stuff. Multiple posters have said this and I’m completely baffled by it and why this is a good idea. That’s suggesting needs to play every other game no matter how he plays and how good the other goalie might be playing?

If everybody starts 50% no matter what that’s a bullshit system.

Once again, this isn’t 1993 where Jacques Lemaire is splitting Terreri and Brodeur every game.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Stop this.

Why do people keep saying this? You go with whoever is winning/playing better. That was Blackwood for a stretch and now it’s Vanecek’s turn with the “Ball”.

Enough is enough with this 50/50 stuff. Multiple posters have said this and I’m completely baffled by it and why this is a good idea. That’s suggesting needs to play every other game no matter how he plays and how good the other goalie might be playing?

If everybody starts 50% no matter what that’s a bullshit system.

Once again, this isn’t 1993 where Jacques Lemaire is splitting Terreri and Brodeur every game.
I know you hate Blackwood and desperately want Vanecek to just run with it, but if you go with the other system you just keep playing guys until they blow up and cost you the game in spectacular fashion. Which is what we just saw happen with Blackwood.

Goaltending by committee like running back by committee just makes sense in terms of load balancing.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Ah, reminiscent of the "OMG Geertsen is going to make the team" angst from this preseason.

Spoiler alert, Geertsen didn't make the team.
I was actually not completely convinced he was making the team before the preseason started, if not just due to how much depth we had on forward and the fact that somebody (Johnsson) that was already a regular last year was probably gonna be waived. And we still have guys like Boqvist, Zetterlund and Holtz as healthy scratches regularly to this point. There was no room for Geertsen.

I did start to get nervous when he played like more preseason games than not until the preseason finale and when he was in the last few guys cut. I did start to sweat a bit then, but early on I was definitely feeling him getting waived. Although I started to get much less comfortable at the end.

I was pretty convinced Vanecek was going to play the season opener too, after getting a shutout and winning every start, and the Blackwood getting bombed by the Islanders. I really thought Vanecek would get the opener and he did not.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I was actually not completely convinced he was making the team before the preseason started, if not just due to how much depth we had on forward and the fact that somebody (Johnsson) that was already a regular last year was probably gonna be waived. And we still have guys like Boqvist, Zetterlund and Holtz as healthy scratches regularly to this point. There was no room for Geertsen.

I did start to get nervous when he played like more preseason games than not until the preseason finale and when he was in the last few guys cut. I did start to sweat a bit then, but early on I was definitely feeling him getting waived. Although I started to get much less comfortable at the end.

I was pretty convinced Vanecek was going to play the season opener too, after getting a shutout and winning every start, and the Blackwood getting bombed by the Islanders. I really thought Vanecek would get the opener and he did not.
And Blackwood was not good that game, and Vanacek got the next start.

Vanacek was not good that game, and Blackwood got the next start.

Blackwood won 3 straight, until losing, and then Vanacek got the next start.

Vanacek won, and we shall see Friday.

Thus far Ruff has played it almost exactly how you want it played, yet you're still ranting about his goalie choices.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I know you hate Blackwood and desperately want Vanecek to just run with it, but if you go with the other system you just keep playing guys until they blow up and cost you the game in spectacular fashion. Which is what we just saw happen with Blackwood.

Goaltending by committee like running back by committee just makes sense in terms of load balancing.
I hate Blackwood because he’s a bad f***ing goalie. The most important position on the team. He’s not some 8 or 12 minute plug that many people (including me sometimes) complain about.

There doesn’t need to be goaltending by committee like 50/50 starts.

Almost no team does this except for teams that don’t have a guy good enough to be their starter.

Lemaire did it when Brodeur was a 21 year old rookie.

It just doesn’t happen on a majority of teams in the league. If Blackwood is the guy, you keep playing him. If Vanecek is the guy, you keep playing him.

It’s fine to deviate from this sometimes and definitely in back to backs, but there’s no need for this 50/50 unless both guys are either garbage or both guys are good.

Boston and Detroit have been doing this to start the year, as has Seattle, but that’s a big surprise there when it’s Grubauer and Jones.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Just finished the game, nice to see what this team can do with some solid goaltending and special teams and finally getting all the goals to go in with all the shots they have been taken.

Also nice to see them send the Detroit fans to the exits early, we've had that happen at home 2x already. Would like to see them close out October with 2 home wins and establish some dominance in our home arena.

Gonna be a big test against the defending champs and Columbus who we haven't played well against for years now.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What Little Richard song starts though, could decide the game. I think we win if it's Lucille but less confident in Tutti Frutti
I was a big fan of Little Richard as a kid. I had a couple records when I was really little and just starting to understand what music was. I was actually really into Rod Stewart at the same age, which was like 3-5.

I feel a little bad for insulting Mr. Penniman by using his moniker for a disgraceful NHL player, but it was the most PG name I could give him for what I really call him in my house and amongst friends.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I hate Blackwood because he’s a bad f***ing goalie. The most important position on the team. He’s not some 8 or 12 minute plug that many people (including me sometimes) complain about.

There doesn’t need to be goaltending by committee like 50/50 starts.

Almost no team does this except for teams that don’t have a guy good enough to be their starter.

Lemaire did it when Brodeur was a 21 year old rookie.

It just doesn’t happen on a majority of teams in the league. If Blackwood is the guy, you keep playing him. If Vanecek is the guy, you keep playing him.

It’s fine to deviate from this sometimes and definitely in back to backs, but there’s no need for this 50/50 unless both guys are either garbage or both guys are good.

Boston and Detroit have been doing this to start the year, as has Seattle, but that’s a big surprise there when it’s Grubauer and Jones.
It's fine you can tune it if someone looks like they need a break. Boston did an even split until Swayman had some bad games then they gave him a break and now it's like 2 to 1. That will change when Ullmark has some bad games most likely. It's not like it HAS to be 50/50 but that's the baseline and deviations from it are relatively minor.

What I don't think you do is say "you start until you shit the bed then you go to the bench until the other guy shits the bed."

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Were did Bratt come from, i say as a Swede. Could he be a bit underrated?
Devils fans have known he's this good for quite sometime now. Certainly since at least the end of 21 I'd say.

We're praying the rest of the league underrates him as this is the final year of his contract and would prefer to not get into a bidding war over our homegrown talent. But I doubt that is the case.

Reactions: ZEBROA

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's fine you can tune it if someone looks like they need a break. Boston did an even split until Swayman had some bad games then they gave him a break and now it's like 2 to 1. That will change when Ullmark has some bad games most likely. It's not like it HAS to be 50/50 but that's the baseline and deviations from it are relatively minor.

What I don't think you do is say "you start until you shit the bed then you go to the bench until the other guy shits the bed."
As someone that admittedly hates Blackwood (I hate him as a player, I don’t know him well enough to hate him as a person) I was all for putting Blackwood back out against the Islanders after he beat the Ducks and only allowed 2 goals. It was his only chance to get in a rhythm and maybe have a hot streak, which he did but it was only 3 games. I also wanted him to start against the Sharks and I definitely wanted him to start at least one of the back to backs too.

So I’ve had no issue with him getting any of the starts other than the bullshit opening night start.

But if Vanecek stays hot then you play him. I think the last couple years would indicate that there is a greater chance of Vanecek being hot than Blackwood.

Which is kind of weird when he had a terrible game against Detroit and people were already turning on him. And Blackwood has 60 games of barely 89% and people are still supporting him.

There’s not many left though. Whether it’s on this forum or at the games.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
As someone that admittedly hates Blackwood (I hate him as a player, I don’t know him well enough to hate him as a person) I was all for putting Blackwood back out against the Islanders after he beat the Ducks and only allowed 2 goals. It was his only chance to get in a rhythm and maybe have a hot streak, which he did but it was only 3 games. I also wanted him to start against the Sharks and I definitely wanted him to start at least one of the back to backs too.

So I’ve had no issue with him getting any of the starts other than the bullshit opening night start.

But if Vanecek stays hot then you play him. I think the last couple years would indicate that there is a greater chance of Vanecek being hot than Blackwood.

Which is kind of weird when he had a terrible game against Detroit and people were already turning on him. And Blackwood has 60 games of barely 89% and people are still supporting him.

There’s not many left though. Whether it’s on this forum or at the games.
He's a goalie, gets starts, gotta support him. When/if they decide to dump him (which could come as soon as Bernier's rehab stint) it'll be over and you can get enraged over the next guy. I think he's the 2nd best goalie on the NJ roster right now, and think Vanecek can't play 60 games, possibly can't play 50 games so Blackwood should get 30-50 games, and with a clear role he will be adequate. If that's not the case and Bernier is healthy he will be gone. Until then the team's best chance of winning is rolling with a 1A/1B set up.

Reactions: devilsblood

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He's a goalie, gets starts, gotta support him. When/if they decide to dump him (which could come as soon as Bernier's rehab stint) it'll be over and you can get enraged over the next guy. I think he's the 2nd best goalie on the NJ roster right now, and think Vanecek can't play 60 games, possibly can't play 50 games so Blackwood should get 30-50 games, and with a clear role he will be adequate. If that's not the case and Bernier is healthy he will be gone. Until then the team's best chance of winning is rolling with a 1A/1B set up.
I think 30 games is perfectly reasonable to expect Blackwood/backup to play.

Having a 50/50 system is where we have a disconnect.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's basically +/- 10 games from 41/41 based on injury or major slump. I guess we are in agreement.
10 games could be costly if Blackwood doesn’t seriously and fast.

He rarely can put together a longer stretch of good play than he just completed. I’m pretty sure he had about a 5 game hot streak early last year and the first 5 to start 2020-2021, but that’s it since the early months of the 2020 calendar year.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
But please can we start having some of these dominating wins (this and the Isles game) at home. It will do wonders for the fans.

Honestly I don’t remember when we last beat the Red Wings and this convincingly. I think probably they swept us last year and blew us out too.

Think the crowds at the Rock may have something to do with that.

"Fire Lindy" and booing before the game even starts.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Think the crowds at the Rock may have something to do with that.

"Fire Lindy" and booing before the game even starts.

Lindy was booed during intros but the fire Lindy chants didn't start until they were playing badly in the 2nd period.

Atmosphere was awesome in the 1st period so to say all this had an outcome on the game is laughable.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Lindy was booed during intros but the fire Lindy chants didn't start until they were playing badly in the 2nd period.

Atmosphere was awesome in the 1st period so to say all this had an outcome on the game is laughable.
I actually didn't hear the Fire Lindy chants until the 3rd period when the wheels really fell off. I think on that goal that made it 5-2.

But if you were in the arena they could have started even before that, but they weren't really audible on TV until the last 8 or 10 minutes of regulation.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey

I still say the intro booings of him (and to a degree Blackwood) was uncalled for. Oh well.
Lindy answered the questions very professionally and seemed to understand it from the fans view.

Reactions: devilsblood
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad