GDT: Devils @ Wild - 8 P.M. - MSGSN2

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I do think Jack has a good chance at the Hart this year if he crosses 100. Even if McDavid finishes with more points (he probably will) than Jack this year, they could give it to Jack if he comes anywhere close.

Much like how Taylor Hall got the Hart Trophy in 2018, even though he didn’t score the most points. And there were even guys that scored over 100 (Claude Giroux for sure) that weren’t even a Hart finalist. And the Flyers even made the playoffs that year.
Bratt might cost Jack the Hart lol, not by winning it himself but by the fact Jack might not lead the team by a mile in scoring a la Hall

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hopefully Schmid is ready to put together a few good games. Or just starting with one good game. Because he’s looked even worse than Vitek when he’s played this year.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Is it though? It's not like it's mostly from bad luck. This is 9 games of them looking sloppy as f*** with the puck in their own end, goaltenders that look like they aren't capable of mitigating leaky defense, and the PK looking mediocre.

Their outrageous offensive numbers are the result of a PP that is clicking at nearly 45%...even the best PP's in the history of the sport have not maintained that kind of success for an entire season, so that's something you should expect to see come down even if they continue to play great there.
I do think (hope?) that when the PP numbers go down, the 5-on-5 numbers will go up, at least offensively.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Bratt might cost Jack the Hart lol, not by winning it himself but by the fact Jack might not lead the team by a mile in scoring a la Hall

Jack's Hart chances probably rest on McDavid getting injured/Oilers not being able to turn things around. I have no doubts they'll turn things around so McDavid's going to need to miss a lot of time

Reactions: My3Sons

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Enough fighting, forward we go

IMG_5355.jpeg

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I do think (hope?) that when the PP numbers go down, the 5-on-5 numbers will go up, at least offensively.
Yeah I'd like to think that too. Still, giving up goals like this is just not going to cut it long-term, if it doesn't cost them in the regular season it will assuredly torpedo any playoff success.

We are almost at the 10 game mark...if it's not markedly better by game 20, that's a big red flag.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

We're scoring 2.16 5v5 GF/60 on 2.81 xGF/60. It should start to turn around at some point. AS we're leading the league in GF/60 at 4.17 and are 3rd in xGF/60 at 3.76 (LA is 3.77). Pittsburgh is leading the league and this is back to back years they're underperforming their xGF by a lot so their finishing might be cooked.

Reactions: Guttersniped

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
McLeod has been legitimately good pinch hitting for Nico, but I think anybody would look good playing with Bratt. Jesper has been that good.
McLeod was putting up excellent numbers prior to playing with Bratt his season.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
You're still doing this? Deeming something a "high danger" scoring chance is completely subjective. Sorry you don't understand what an actual fact is, "my dude".
Team is 6-2-1 with 2 of the best offensive players in the league, one of the best rookies in the league, and still hasn't even put together a full 60 minute effort. If they had even league average goaltending, they might be undefeated for Christ sake.

It's okay to be a little happy. They played absolutely fine tonight at 5 on 5.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I do think Jack has a good chance at the Hart this year if he crosses 100. Even if McDavid finishes with more points (he probably will) than Jack this year, they could give it to Jack if he comes anywhere close.

Much like how Taylor Hall got the Hart Trophy in 2018, even though he didn’t score the most points. And there were even guys that scored over 100 (Claude Giroux for sure) that weren’t even a Hart finalist. And the Flyers even made the playoffs that year.

If Edmonton's struggles force McDavid to not be able to fully heal and play hurt, might keep it close enough that Jack could have a legit chance at winning.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Is it though? It's not like it's mostly from bad luck. This is 9 games of them looking sloppy as f*** with the puck in their own end, goaltenders that look like they aren't capable of mitigating leaky defense, and the PK looking mediocre.

Their outrageous offensive numbers are the result of a PP that is clicking at nearly 45%...even the best PP's in the history of the sport have not maintained that kind of success for an entire season, so that's something you should expect to see come down even if they continue to play great there.
Their PDO right now is 1.009, which is 15th in the league. Maybe slightly on the fortunate side, but the results are in line overall with their underlying. The PP is going to cool down, but the 5-on-5 shooting should pick up a bit. Defensively they should get better as the begin to gel more. the goaltending is a concern that might continue.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Yeah I'd like to think that too. Still, giving up goals like this is just not going to cut it long-term, if it doesn't cost them in the regular season it will assuredly torpedo any playoff success.

We are almost at the 10 game mark...if it's not markedly better by game 20, that's a big red flag.
I'll wait till about game 60 before I start worrying about how we are winning.

Yup.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

I’m not particularly worried, if only because I have confidence in Fitz to recognize the issues and try to rectify them either from within or without. Plus I don’t really care about peaking too soon, so long as they win enough to make the playoffs comfortably it’s not a big issue till the trade deadline at least.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Their PDO right now is 1.009, which is 15th in the league. Maybe slightly on the fortunate side, but the results are in line overall with their underlying. The PP is going to cool down, but the 5-on-5 shooting should pick up a bit. Defensively they should get better as the begin to gel more. the goaltending is a concern that might continue.

When it comes to the defense my biggest concern is the PK defense. The 5v5 D isn't great but it's nowhere near as bad as some make it out to be. Really makes no sense why the PK looks so much worse and more passive than it did last year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad