TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
So is Hughes homeless now?
If Cory's family follows him to Bingo---

Jack
source.gif

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I agree it's weird that in no year has Schneider's GF/60 beaten his backup's - I just cannot ascribe that to the goaltender.

It's worth noting that as a Canuck backup, Schneider's GF/60 beats Luongo every season he was there.

2010-11 - Schneider: 3.41 GF/60 Luongo 2.94 GF/60
2011-12 - Schneider: 2.95 GF/60 Luongo 2.81 GF/60
2012-13 - Schneider: 2.6 GF/60 Luongo 2.26 GF/60

So yeah, once again, the case for it being 'Schneider's fault' seems to be getting worse.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
It's worth noting that as a Canuck backup, Schneider's GF/60 beats Luongo every season he was there.

2010-11 - Schneider: 3.41 GF/60 Luongo 2.94 GF/60
2011-12 - Schneider: 2.95 GF/60 Luongo 2.81 GF/60
2012-13 - Schneider: 2.6 GF/60 Luongo 2.26 GF/60

So yeah, once again, the case for it being 'Schneider's fault' seems to be getting worse.

He was a good backup, and 2 decent years as a starter in nj. His play steeply declined, then injuries to the groin made things worse. Lost the starters role 2 times, to both kk and now blackwood. This is becoming a trend with butterfly goalies steeply declining ie quick (who was 10x better then cory ever was).

I just hope they work a trade for him after an ahl stint... its 3 years past time to move on to a decent goalie, not come back up and fail again on the team.

His career with nj should be over.. domingue (or whatever his name is) is def not the answer, and barely qualified to be an nhl backup

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
"2 decent years"

this is correct. He was a (borderline) top 5 goalie for one season. He was always a statisticians darling like most high save % under utilized goalies.

not sure why everyone needs to make excuses for why he didnt succeed or live up to his contract.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
this is correct. He was a (borderline) top 5 goalie for one season. He was always a statisticians darling like most high save % under utilized goalies.

not sure why everyone needs to make excuses for why he didnt succeed or live up to his contract.
I'm with you but many people are simply wedded to certain metrics and there is nothing you can do or say to change their minds. I just wonder why though if he was so elite then how he never finished higher than 6th in Vezina voting, only made one all-star team, or was the starting goalie in really only one international competition. Just my two cents but what do I know I'm just some part-time poster here.

Reactions: guitarguyvic

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I'll help you out with this one, 217 Forever.

I'm with you but many people are simply wedded to certain metrics and there is nothing you can do or say to change their minds. I just wonder why though if he was so elite then how he never finished higher than 6th in Vezina voting

Because he was a backup to one of the best goalies of all time and when he became a starter at age 28, he started for one of the worst teams in the NHL. Then he got injured and never regained his top form.

only made one all-star team

Because he was a backup to one of the best goalies of all time and when he became a starter at age 28, he started for one of the worst teams in the NHL. Then he got injured and never regained his top form.

or was the starting goalie in really only one international competition

Because he was a backup to one of the best goalies of all time and when he finally became a starter at age 28, he started for one of the worst teams in the NHL. Then he got injured and never regained his top form.

Hope that helped!

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Schneider is easily the most overrated goalie I’ve ever seen defended on these boards.

Just pretend for a minute that he never played for the devils...would we really be using all these qualifiers Mkt describe his career?

Look at the emphasis that gets placed on him having a good looking save percentage for a few seasons with us...as if that’s some grand accomplishment that’s never been done by many a goaltender whose careers otherwise were rather unremarkable.

I think people generally like Cory as a person, and they don’t see him as a huge piece of what has been wrong with this team over the last half decade, so they over inflate his performance to match their personal feelings. It’s weird to me.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Schneider is easily the most overrated goalie I’ve ever seen defended on these boards.

Just pretend for a minute that he never played for the devils...would we really be using all these qualifiers Mkt describe his career?

Look at the emphasis that gets placed on him having a good looking save percentage for a few seasons with us...as if that’s some grand accomplishment that’s never been done by many a goaltender whose careers otherwise were rather unremarkable.

I think people generally like Cory as a person, and they don’t see him as a huge piece of what has been wrong with this team over the last half decade, so they over inflate his performance to match their personal feelings. It’s weird to me.

correct. According to hockey reference Cory Schneider’s top 3 comparables are Craig Anderson, Tommy Salo and Martin Biron.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
So is the crux of the argument that Cory wasn't clutch or timely? Is that it?

The team loses 120 goals of production over two years, Cory posts .920 for three years and is somehow not doing his job well enough?

Tell me if I'm misinterpreting the argument against him being a top 5 goalie at that time. Because those teams were in games they shouldn't have been because of Cory and the system they played.

However, the last three seasons he absolutely has been a huge problem. If not, the biggest. I don't think anyone's denying that.

Reactions: GameSeven

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
So is the crux of the argument that Cory wasn't clutch or timely? Is that it?

The team loses 120 goals of production over two years, Cory posts .920 for three years and is somehow not doing his job well enough?

Tell me if I'm misinterpreting the argument against him being a top 5 goalie at that time. Because those teams were in games they shouldn't have been because of Cory and the system they played.

However, the last three seasons he absolutely has been a huge problem. If not, the biggest. I don't think anyone's denying that.

The argument against him being a top 5 goalie is there were 5 better goalies in the league, putting up better numbers. He received 1 #5 ASG selection and one #6 ASG selection. Team selection not fan voted. The argument is he was never as good as his potential or what people thought he would become if EVERYTHING went his way. I think the injuries were unfortunate but his style and ability was never going to age well. He started to decline in the 16-17 season. So up until the injuries started. You had one season as a backup to a legend. 2 seasons of borderline top 5 play. One season where he was outplayed by Keith Kinkaid. Then 3 follow-up seasons as the worst goalie in the NHL.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
You weren't going to the ASG or getting Vezina nominations if you were backstopping the NJ Devils post-2012.

What more can you ask, short of being Carey Price, Rinne or Bobrovsky?

I agree that he was paid for potential which was not realized.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
correct. According to hockey reference Cory Schneider’s top 3 comparables are Craig Anderson, Tommy Salo and Martin Biron.

right, because that takes his entire career into account. Which basically everyone agrees he has been terrible for 2-3 years now.

I wonder what those names were back in 2016?

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
You weren't going to the ASG or getting Vezina nominations if you were backstopping the NJ Devils post-2012.

What more can you ask, short of being Carey Price, Rinne or Bobrovsky?

I agree that he was paid for potential which was not realized.
But we've been told time and time again that wins do not matter only SVPCT% does so it seems like some folks want to have it both ways. His non-wins stats were good enough to make him "elite", but not good enough to provide really any kind of league-wide recognition? That's fine if you want to think that way I just personally do not.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
right, because that takes his entire career into account. Which basically everyone agrees he has been terrible for 2-3 years now.

I wonder what those names were back in 2016?

they would have been the same. It would just have cut off the 9/10/11 columns. He still would have compared to these goalies.

7Ik6AOa.jpg

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Yet another angle that tries to untie that Gordian knot - what will it yield?

Cory Schneider had the best SV% of all time at the end of 2015-16. All time. That doesn't mean he was the best goalie of all-time, far from it, but at his peak he was one of the best goalies to ever play. He's still 8th all time despite being average to bad the last 4 seasons. No goalie will have a career like him - no goalie will ever again sit patiently behind a top-tier goalie for 6 years until being traded at age 27, and then end up on a dismal team with no hope of winning anything. It's just such an unlikely confluence of events.

Reactions: Oneiro and NjDevsRR

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
League-wide recognition, if you're not a statistical leader, only comes with team success. So the main argument is that he didn't do anything spectacular, which is a ridiculous expectation considering the lack of scoring and the mediocre defense we had. I mean, really the question is did he do what he was supposed to do those first three years? Because I don't see how he didn't.

Reactions: NjDevsRR

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
they would have been the same. It would just have cut off the 9/10/11 columns. He still would have compared to these goalies.

7Ik6AOa.jpg

This is twaddle. The first time Cory started more than 5/8th of his team's games was in 2014-15 as a 28/29 year old. Schneider put up 8.4 point shares in 33 games in 2011-12 - that's rated as his 5th best season, when he played as backup. He never had a chance to be a starter in his prime like almost all of these other guys did - the only legitimate comparable on this list is Craig Anderson who didn't get a starting job in the NHL until he was 28 and who has turned out to be an average goaltender who has managed to stay much healthier than Cory.

Reactions: NjDevsRR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad