GDT: Devils vs. Stars 8:30 MSG+ part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
People **** on Zacha’s “drive”, but I look at JQ and I absolutely see a guy that doesn’t seem interested in putting in the work needed to be a NHL player.
BTW, I thought Zacha had some drive again tonight, but for about half a period he was meh... my theory was that he almost gave it away passing up our own slot, and got gunshy for a bit.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
People **** on Zacha’s “drive”, but I look at JQ and I absolutely see a guy that doesn’t seem interested in putting in the work needed to be a NHL player.

Those two shouldn't be in the same sentence anymore.

JQ got schooled twice in the game by the Radulov line. At least one of the times resulted in a direct goal. It's not all on JQ, but he got schooled by magician behind the net there. Hynes is partially to blame, but it was an away game so they get last change still,, right....... lol

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Those two shouldn't be in the same sentence anymore.

JQ got schooled twice in the game by the Radulov line. At least one of the times resulted in a direct goal. It's not all on JQ, but he got schooled by magician behind the net there. Hynes is partially to blame, but it was an away game so they get last change still,, right....... lol

You still have to make some effort. Take the body. Make it harder for him.

Seney isn’t getting schooled like that in that situation even if he is outsized and out matched.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Because defensively he is bad. He is making all the same mistakes as everyone else.
I don't see him doing that lately though.

I don't at all.

Severson and Vatanen? YES! Not Butcher, at least not in recent times.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I suspect if there wasn't the scrum afterwards he would have gotten just 2.

They kind of tried to even it out by giving 2 to the Stars and 5 to us, creating a 3 minute PP for them.

Again, it's just conjecture on my part.

Yeah that's likely a factor for sure... it definitely impacted the game, which we stopped talking about because NJ had such an almost amazing comeback, but in reality, the ref's influenced the early part of the game more than it would seem is "neutral".

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
We only had 5 D in the 3rd, thats why Vats and Sevs were together at certain points. Having no Greene hurt since the 6 D usually stink together, only having 5 is even worse.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
BTW, I thought Zacha had some drive again tonight, but for about half a period he was meh... my theory was that he almost gave it away passing up our own slot, and got gunshy for a bit.

He had a bipolar type of game, but a lot of forwards did tonight.

Nico wasn’t fighting it a lot. Coleman had an uncharacteristicly bad game.

Reactions: liquid1988

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
We only had 5 D in the 3rd, thats why Vats and Sevs were together at certain points. Having no Greene hurt since the 6 D usually stink together, only having 5 is even worse.

Mueller needs to be back in. They need another D that is at least somewhat responsible.

I don’t even think he is all that good, but everything is badly out of balance with what is in now and guys wanting to shoot up ice up early so much.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Mueller needs to be back in. They need another D that is at least somewhat responsible.
I'm sure he'll be in next game if Greene can't go.

I don't think Santini has been bad, although I think Mueller is better than him. His ceiling is certainly much higher.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
You still have to make some effort. Take the body. Make it harder for him.

Seney isn’t getting schooled like that in that situation even if he is outsized and out matched.

Oh, i definitely agree with you, making the point that he was out of his league. He has speed, Ill give JQ that.... I was really mad that Dallas was able to match up their best guys against our 4th line, at least more than 3 times tonight.. I don't know if it was by last change, or by design. It was a bad setup all game long, particularly in first and early 2nd period.

EDIT: Seney has been really good, he thinks the game better as he has to to survive with that size.....

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

I don’t even think he is all that good, but everything is badly out of balance with what is in now and guys wanting to shoot up ice up early so much.
If it were my call, I'd definitely have Mueller and Santini in for Greene and Lovejoy. Take our chances on the kids and have them gain experience.

Reactions: nugg

Camille the Eel

How about why even change the pairings that were the same and good for 2 shutouts before this game?

And what kind of crap system is Hynes running that is so confusing that nobody KNOWS immediately who they have on the faceoff?
Breaking up Vats and Santini was senseless. When you find a combination that works, stick with it so guys know their roles.

Vats has been playing the off side with Santini. On the game winner here he then looked confused as to which guy was his and which side he was taking. Insanely bad communication between he and Sevs but not a good situation for Hynes to have put him in. And why? Why? After 3 straight wins and 2 shutouts?

Reactions: Whaddagoal

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
So... what is HF consensus? Is Wood an idiot, or was it just bad luck that Benn was caught watching his pass and got called away on concussion protocol, which probably led to the ref giving the major?

Obviously it leaves a sour taste as the major cost us goals, but it was a clean hit, wasn't it? the redditverse and devils fan base on other social media seem split, though it seems most are mad at Wood.

20 years ago, that hit would've been a highlight

i liked the hit……why?

'cause its something we dont see enough of…..need more like it.

….also, not a major

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
A lot of bad breakdowns, failed clears and turnovers, but they still would have probably gotten to OT if it were not for an absolutely disgraceful decision by Vats which led to the 5th goal.

I am so down on him this season.
He was awful tonight again.

PZ, Noesen, Nico were not good at all tonight too.

#4 was the best player on the ice.

Botolm line, didn't play a smart game but still hung in there, but not good enough, especially Vats

They hung Big Mac out to dry.

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
I think Butcher has been playing a very fine defensive game lately. Pretty underrated.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Also, Bishop closed the gate on the 3rd.

Lot of heart shown tonight by NJD.

What happened to Greene?
Championing Bishop in a game where he was probably one of our best players? Why am I not surprised?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You're spinning and twisting.

Read it again and try to dispute that he wasn't a factor in the 3rd.
This is the same thing I say when someone says ''Well, Cory got lit up in the 3rd because our own guys scored own goals on him''.

If Bishop hadn't played so mediocre early on, he wouldn't have had to be a factor in the 3rd.

He played a less than mediocre game, but you can cherry pick a period if you want.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Breaking up Vats and Santini was senseless. When you find a combination that works, stick with it so guys know their roles.

Vats has been playing the off side with Santini. On the game winner here he then looked confused as to which guy was his and which side he was taking. Insanely bad communication between he and Sevs but not a good situation for Hynes to have put him in. And why? Why? After 3 straight wins and 2 shutouts?
Huh? Santini and Vats played together tonight until Greene went down and they had to rotate guys in and out so the pairings were mixed at times to rest guys.

Pairings were:

Greene Severson
Vatanen Santini
Butcher Lovejoy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad