GDT: Devils vs. Sabres - Animal House - 7:00 PM MSG+2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
This staff is utterly clueless lol.

Yea, lets go 7 D. Lets not call up a forward with some offensive skill to come in and help make up for some of the following :

injuries to the top 6, some players in the top 6 not playing up to par, others just being a waste of a roster spot and a huge hit on the cap (even with the space) thanks to their career dying in front of us, and other players coming back down to earth a bit, and the PP being stagnant because of all of the above and also, the inability to adapt a new PP strategy when the current one is predictable and just bad because of veteran presence and "faceoff wins" being forced into it over actual skill.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Personally, I think it makes a ton of sense to continue to scratch a kid you were playing 20 minutes a night for multiple games, including when you go with 7dmen.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
honest question, based on brucie boy’s complaints on seth jones. how is taylor hall eligible to play tonight? it seems like the rule is if you miss the ASG, injury or not, you have to sit a game out. in jones’ case, the request was made by the NHL to prevent a flu outbreak or some such. but hall?

believe me, I’m not complaining…just curious

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
honest question, based on brucie boy’s complaints on seth jones. how is taylor hall eligible to play tonight? it seems like the rule is if you miss the ASG, injury or not, you have to sit a game out. in jones’ case, the request was made by the NHL to prevent a flu outbreak or some such. but hall?

Don't know the actual rule, but I'm pretty sure since Hall didn't play the game(s) before the All Star game it's not an issue. I'd guess Jones had been playing up through the ASG and then didn't play.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

Pretty sure you have to miss either the game before the All Star game or after. Hall had missed the one (and two others) prior, he was actually injured. I guess Jones played right up until the break, had his "illness" but was ready to go the game after the break.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Don't know the actual rule, but I'm pretty sure since Hall didn't play the game(s) before the All Star game it's not an issue. I'd guess Jones had been playing up through the ASG and then didn't play.

Pretty sure you have to miss either the game before the All Star game or after. Hall had missed the one (and two others) prior, he was actually injured. I guess Jones played right up until the break, had his "illness" but was ready to go the game after the break.

ahhh ok. before the break, that makes sense. cool beans, thanks

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn

According to the Blue Jackets, the NHL told him to stay home because they didn't want him to give everyone else the flu, which is kinda hilarious.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Alright, time to start winning again. That break was much needed. Now come back strong and string a few wins together.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Santini was not doing well with the minutes he was getting and it was terrible coaching to keep feeding him to the dogs like that repeatedly. It’s also weird that he’s now not even getting minutes in a reduced role. But I really don’t care that much to be honest, he’s behind Severson and Vatanen on the depth chart and Lovejoy has been fine. We’re not winning or losing games because Lovejoy is in over Santini.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Anybody thinking this will be an easy win is out to lunch. Buffalo has been playing really well lately and they have some dangerous players.

Doesn't have to be an easy win but they need A win, period. I don't care how good they've played over the last two weeks, if you lose two straight games to the Sabres you have no business calling yourself a 'playoff' team. Who else are you going to beat if the Sabres are too tough for you right now?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I just don't get this staff's treatment of Santini. Overuse him, have him struggle with overusage then UNuse him period. There should be more of a gradual downticking than that, especially since Lovejoy's only in the same role people wanted Santini in atm.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
According to the Blue Jackets, the NHL told him to stay home because they didn't want him to give everyone else the flu, which is kinda hilarious.

It's not that unreasonable tbh...of course if it was Taylor Hall he wouldn't have gotten that exemption cause the league hates us.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Only reason LJ is playing is to raise his trade value, whatever that is lol

I’d like to think that is the case but with another season left on his deal I don’t think he has any value playing some protected minutes as a 6 and maybe offering a little mentoring to Butcher. The staff probably sees him as the best option in that spot right now. Hopefully that changes. Hard for me to believe he’s a better option than Santini in that limited role with the exception of the mentoring part.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Lovejoy has been pretty good if you count not being a tire fire in protected minutes as pretty good.

Zero reason he should be playing over Santini if Santini is healthy.
He isn’t being sheltered, that’s a false narrative. He’s handled his even strength assignments fine and is playing crucial minutes on one of the top PKs in the NHL.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Santini was not doing well with the minutes he was getting and it was terrible coaching to keep feeding him to the dogs like that repeatedly. It’s also weird that he’s now not even getting minutes in a reduced role. But I really don’t care that much to be honest, he’s behind Severson and Vatanen on the depth chart and Lovejoy has been fine. We’re not winning or losing games because Lovejoy is in over Santini.

You are correct but there is also the matter of the development of Santini. If you believe he is learning by practicing and watching and maybe some video work then it’s fine. I’m skeptical that Santini will improve more that way than if he plays those limited minutes. At some point Santini will get back in and we will see if the enforced press box time was a net positive. Not a huge deal but Lovejoy has no real future with the team and I’d prefer to help Santini develop over whatever Lovejoy provides right now. It’s also a go to coaching move to play the veterans heavily when a team is struggling. I guess it’s easier to face Shero with a lineup reliant on Zajac Lovejoy etc instead of the kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad