GDT: Devils vs. Panthers 7PM MSG+

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'd have to say this was their worst effort of the season. There was just nothing doing tonight.
I don't see how it can be argued that this was the worst. We've had worse period's than some of these in this game, but not a worse consecutive 45-50 minutes. Home game, not on a back to back at all. Had yesterday off completely, didn't even have practice yesterday. Just completely awful, makes NYI game look a little less bad. This wasn't even our third game in 4 nights either. Completely awful effort. The only redeeming factor is the Panthers aren't exactly a bad team. I thought they'd be in the playoffs this year, I'll still maintain that. It also means there's likely a good chance that we're not in if Florida is in this year.

I don't see how it can be argued. This was the worst 45-50 minutes of hockey we've played this season. The last 45-50 minutes was completely awful. The empty net pull and the empty net goal within 10 seconds of Cory being pulled, sums up how bad the effort was tonight. We couldn't even control the puck for 10 seconds after the goalie was pulled. Combine that with the unnecessary fourth Panthers goal in the 3rd period when everyone turned into a bunch of statue's.
Outshot 20-10 in the final two periods. Not a lot of urgency.
Terrible.

NYI game was not even as bad.

It was the better smelling ****, out of two steamy nasty ones. For lack of a better analogy.:laugh:

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
If all you did was sit in a chair and stare at the wall, you would have done more then this team tonight.

Sad but probably true. Team needs to get their focus back before Christmas. The effort has been too spotty recently, and we're not a team that can pull out wins when we aren't focused and working hard. Devils better come out ready to go on Saturday.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
At that point what did we have to lose? We were already down 4-1.

Yeah I have no problem with it, it even showcased how awful we were tonight by it not even taking 10 seconds of Cory being gone for the empty net goal to happen.

Like Devs26 said, the team deserved to lose 5-1 and lose by an even bigger than margin that the score already had been at the time.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If all you did was sit in a chair and stare at the wall, you would have done more then this team tonight.

I would have rather have made out with Elle King.

I can't stand her and think she's gross, so that's not a good thing. Her voice is the worst part about her. :laugh:

Fake New Orleans, John Fogerty impersonating accent.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
We're really starting to stumble into christmas break.

Yes. Two blowouts in three games. I can handle losing with effort (though I prefer winning) but against the Islanders and by the sound of it in this game, the Devils didn't put in the hard work. That's unacceptable. I hope the Devils can pull things together. We can't afford to go on too much of a skid with this cluster of games.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Let me just emphasize how bad this game was

This game was so awful, I'm starting to feel bad for Montoya that he didn't get the shutout.

That's how bad this game, he actually deserved a shutout.

As much as I loved when we scored the goal, he should have gotten a shutout with how awful we were tonight.

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
Yes. Two blowouts in three games. I can handle losing with effort (though I prefer winning) but against the Islanders and by the sound of it in this game, the Devils didn't put in the hard work. That's unacceptable. I hope the Devils can pull things together. We can't afford to go on too much of a skid with this cluster of games.

Yup. Earlier in the year if they lost it wasn't because of a lack of effort. These last 2 losses were because they didn't give 100%. Hopefully the coaching staff grills them.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Are they gonna go off the air before Hynes presser?

I hope he's pissed, I'd be steaming.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Yup. Earlier in the year if they lost it wasn't because of a lack of effort. These last 2 losses were because they didn't give 100%. Hopefully the coaching staff grills them.

Agree with this. There was no point in the coaches roasting the players when it was just a bad break or a lack of skill costing the team, but when it's a lack of effort--one thing this team definitely can control--resulting in the second blowout in three games, that's time to start getting in people's faces and giving them earfuls. The Islanders game and this Florida game were garbage efforts. Time for Hynes to bring out his inner drill sergeant and maybe tinker with the lineup to hold players accountable for poor efforts in that way. We'll see what he does, but I hope to see improvement when I go to the game Saturday.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Im now 0-5 on the year

Loses vs Nasvhille / Columbus / Colorado / Columbus and now Florida

F-M-L

Your first problem right off the bat was attending games against Columbus and Colorado.

Those are almost automatic losses, no matter how lousy Columbus and Colorado are.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Who would have thought that Merrill would end up being a game with 0 offensive game? He does absolutely nothing offensively. Seems to be so damn tentative. Never does anything in the offensive zone. Glad we got Moore, hopefully he keeps up his play that way the regression of Merrill as a player won't hurt long term.

liquid1988

Oct 14, 2013
Exit 88 GSPW
Can't believe some lady had the balls to tell me I wasn't a "True Fan" after getting up and walking out after the 4th goal tonight. Is it still unacceptable to punch a lady in the face these days? I guess its hard for some people to see road kill when they have their heads up there ass.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Who would have thought that Merrill would end up being a game with 0 offensive game? He does absolutely nothing offensively. Seems to be so damn tentative. Never does anything in the offensive zone. Glad we got Moore, hopefully he keeps up his play that way the regression of Merrill as a player won't hurt long term.

Never really expected him to put up any real numbers but he's just been bad positionally. He got burned tonight caught against the wall instead of being near the dot when whathisface split the D. He's been very weak in front of the net too then again most of our D is. No one takes anyone out in front of Cory. Just weak stick checks.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Merrill has been atrocious this year, he's been the worst defenseman we have. Gelinas was worse early on, but lately even he's been better than Merrill. He wasn't good at all last year either, so it's not like his regression was just this year.

I'll cool off though. God forbid I bad mouth Josefson, Kalinin or Merrill around here, and people start saying they're the whipping boys.

But I don't see how they're whipping boys when they're not good.

Most of our defense has been good IMO, but Merrill is the weak link this year. Gelinas is too, but he's been at least a little better defensively than Merrill as of late.

Schlemko has had to babysit Merrill usually, and I think he's done a good job of doing that for the most part.

liquid1988

Oct 14, 2013
Exit 88 GSPW
Merrill has been atrocious this year, he's been the worst defenseman we have. Gelinas was worse early on, but lately even he's been better than Merrill. He wasn't good at all last year either, so it's not like his regression was just this year.

I'll cool off though. God forbid I bad mouth Josefson, Kalinin or Merrill around here, and people start saying they're the whipping boys.

But I don't see how they're whipping boys when they're not good.

Most of our defense has been good IMO, but Merrill is the weak link this year. Gelinas is too, but he's been at least a little better defensively than Merrill as of late.

Schlemko has had to babysit Merrill usually, and I think he's done a good job of doing that for the most part.

Sadly, I want to see Merrill sent down to Albany to get some confidence back at the very least. Gelina has (surprisingly) been better on defense the past few games we have seen him. Not sure what has happened but the key word for Merrills season so far is "Regression"

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Can't believe some lady had the balls to tell me I wasn't a "True Fan" after getting up and walking out after the 4th goal tonight. Is it still unacceptable to punch a lady in the face these days? I guess its hard for some people to see road kill when they have their heads up there ass.

i think not punching someone simply because of their gender is not politically correct.

everyone should have equal right to be punched regardless of their sex

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Sadly, I want to see Merrill sent down to Albany to get some confidence back at the very least. Gelina has (surprisingly) been better on defense the past few games we have seen him. Not sure what has happened but the key word for Merrills season so far is "Regression"

I'm not suggesting at all that Merrill is not NHL caliber, just like I haven't suggested that guys like Josefson and Kalinin aren't NHL caliber. Just that they're 4th line caliber and shouldn't be relied on in a 3rd line role. At least Josefson shouldn't be, as he's on pace for just 15 points with all top 9 time and too much power play time. And 210+ career games, not much of a window for him to get better. Kalinin doesn't have 30 games experience yet in this league, so there's still room for him to grow.

Merrill is just the weak link on defense, not saying he should even be scratched. Gelinas really isn't much better of an option, even though he's been better lately.

I'm not sure why people have argued that Moore is worse than Merrill.

liquid1988

Oct 14, 2013
Exit 88 GSPW
I'm not suggesting at all that Merrill is not NHL caliber, just like I haven't suggested that guys like Josefson and Kalinin aren't NHL caliber. Just that they're 4th line caliber and shouldn't be relied on in a 3rd line role. At least Josefson shouldn't be, as he's on pace for just 15 points with all top 9 time and too much power play time. And 210+ career games, not much of a window for him to get better. Kalinin doesn't have 30 games experience yet in this league, so there's still room for him to grow.

Merrill is just the weak link on defense, not saying he should even be scratched. Gelinas really isn't much better of an option, even though he's been better lately.

I'm not sure why people have argued that Moore is worse than Merrill.

We have seen some good things in the past from Merrill but when you start to regress as much as he has and still get 17+ minutes a night, something is wrong. Even during preseason I was wondering what the hell happened to him. I don't think its fair to write him off yet but maybe some time in the little league will help him remember how to play again.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We have seen some good things in the past from Merrill but when you start to regress as much as he has and still get 17+ minutes a night, something is wrong. Even during preseason I was wondering what the hell happened to him. I don't think its fair to write him off yet but maybe some time in the little league will help him remember how to play again.

I'm not sure if he needs to be in the little league now, but having him on the NHL team after not even 20 AHL games wasn't exactly the best move either. He's starting to look worse than Larsson ever did in the middle of the Pete days, or at least it's went on for longer. Also consider Merrill didn't play much in college due to suspension and injuries.

He's actually played 27 AHL games, 12 of them were in 12-13 after his college season ended. And he probably also played a few of his 13-14 AHL games after the NHL season ended.

I don't think Severson will struggle like that though, I've always thought he'd be much better than Merrill. I always kind of thought Merrill was overrated though. I've always only thought of him as a middle pairing guy at best.

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
The Devils are not this bad, but it's a good reminder that this is a transitional year. So if Ray can get something for Stemps, Elias, josefson, Merill, Gelinas, 22, Tlusty, Rutuu...get assets because this team is just ok and almost unwatchablet when they get out worked.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I would have rather have made out with Elle King.

I can't stand her and think she's gross, so that's not a good thing. Her voice is the worst part about her. :laugh:

Fake New Orleans, John Fogerty impersonating accent.

well her dad does an awesome job impersonating all kinds of stereotypes in film……she got it from him i guess

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad