GDT: Devils vs. Panthers 7PM MSG+

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The Devils are not this bad, but it's a good reminder that this is a transitional year. So if Ray can get something for Stemps, Elias, josefson, Merill, Gelinas, 22, Tlusty, Rutuu...get assets because this team is just ok and almost unwatchablet when they get out worked.

I don't think he's getting anything for Tootoo, Josefson, Tlusty (if he continues to not produce offense) and Ruutu. He's probably not getting much for Elias either, not as much as you think. He looks as cooked as ever, and has been mailing it in and making stupid decisions. Like his pass to no one on the PP. That was a ''**** it, I don't give a ****'' play if I ever saw one.

No need to trade Merrill or Gelinas unless they're part of a bigger package. Stempniak is the only guy that would bring back something halfway worthwhile.

Josefson, Tootoo, Ruutu, Tlusty (if this pace continues) are all 4th liners or at least are at this point.

liquid1988

Oct 14, 2013
Exit 88 GSPW
The Devils are not this bad, but it's a good reminder that this is a transitional year. So if Ray can get something for Stemps, Elias, josefson, Merill, Gelinas, 22, Tlusty, Rutuu...get assets because this team is just ok and almost unwatchablet when they get out worked.

The truth is the truth. We all came into this season with low expectations and the team as a whole has blown every prediction out of the water. It has been said here before but even if we somehow made the playoffs, how far would we really get? Doubt past the first round. I HIGHLY doubt Elias is going to be playing anywhere after this season. Nothing personal against him but he should have retired last season with more of his dignity intact. I would also argue against getting rid of Gelinas any time soon unless we get something decent out of it. I was one of the biggest Gelina haters mid way through November but he seems to have picked it up a bit in the "Smart Defensive Play" category.

Fun Fact

When Merrill is on the ice, the team scores 1.16 goals for per 60 but allows 2.12 goals per 60. Anyone else see a problem with that?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
well her dad does an awesome job impersonating all kinds of stereotypes in film……she got it from him i guess

The first time I saw her on TV and heard I song, I wondered what made her so famous. I figured ''She's gotta know someone somewhere, she's not the easiest on the eyes and her voice is terribly hard on the ears''

Then I found out she was Rob Schneider's daughter.

That would explain that alright!

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The truth is the truth. We all came into this season with low expectations and the team as a whole has blown every prediction out of the water. It has been said here before but even if we somehow made the playoffs, how far would we really get? Doubt past the first round. I HIGHLY doubt Elias is going to be playing anywhere after this season. Nothing personal against him but he should have retired last season with more of his dignity intact. I would also argue against getting rid of Gelinas any time soon unless we get something decent out of it. I was one of the biggest Gelina haters mid way through November but he seems to have picked it up a bit in the "Smart Defensive Play" category.

Fun Fact

When Merrill is on the ice, the team scores 1.16 goals for per 60 but allows 2.12 goals per 60. Anyone else see a problem with that?

Looks like Jim is on vacation, looking at his post in the TNA.:laugh:

If he wasn't, I'd expect to see how Moore is the worst on the team in goals against per 60.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I don't think he's getting anything for Tootoo, Josefson, Tlusty (if he continues to not produce offense) and Ruutu. He's probably not getting much for Elias either, not as much as you think. He looks as cooked as ever, and has been mailing it in and making stupid decisions. Like his pass to no one on the PP. That was a ''**** it, I don't give a ****'' play if I ever saw one.

No need to trade Merrill or Gelinas unless they're part of a bigger package. Stempniak is the only guy that would bring back something halfway worthwhile.

Josefson, Tootoo, Ruutu, Tlusty (if this pace continues) are all 4th liners or at least are at this point.

Yeah, Tootoo, Josefson, Tlusty (at this rate), and Ruutu don't get us much if anything on the trade market. Other teams aren't going to be interested in paying something for our garbage fourth liners. We saw that last year when we can only move Jagr and Zid.

As far as Elias goes, his value probably isn't that high, so it's really not worth trading him unless he really wants that last crack at the Cup somewhere else. Otherwise let the guy stay a career Devil out of respect. That's more important than whatever mid-to-low round pick or question mark prospect we could get for him.

I agree about only trading Merrill or Gelinas if they're part of a bigger package or if one of them could somehow net us a decent young forward.

Stempniak might net a good return, but I'd prefer to sign him to a new contract. I think we could get him for reasonably cheap and he's been a good player for us.

Most of the players I'd want to get rid of won't return much, and most of those that will, I don't really want to move.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Merrill has been atrocious this year, he's been the worst defenseman we have. Gelinas was worse early on, but lately even he's been better than Merrill. He wasn't good at all last year either, so it's not like his regression was just this year.

I'll cool off though. God forbid I bad mouth Josefson, Kalinin or Merrill around here, and people start saying they're the whipping boys.

But I don't see how they're whipping boys when they're not good.

Most of our defense has been good IMO, but Merrill is the weak link this year. Gelinas is too, but he's been at least a little better defensively than Merrill as of late.

Schlemko has had to babysit Merrill usually, and I think he's done a good job of doing that for the most part.

I don't know about the Gelinas part, don't think he is an NHL Dman. Kalinin has been okay IMO, nothing special. Josefson is just not good offensively, should be on the 4th line if we had more depth.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Can't believe some lady had the balls to tell me I wasn't a "True Fan" after getting up and walking out after the 4th goal tonight. Is it still unacceptable to punch a lady in the face these days? I guess its hard for some people to see road kill when they have their heads up there ass.

I thought about this while watching because I could totally see me walking out tonight. At home I stopped watching before end of 2nd period, was making me ill. Aside from panthers fans I'd say most "true fans" would have found the game utterly unwatchable.

I might get my chance to walk out anyway, seeing the ducks this weekend. :shakehead Really feeling taken this year at games with several to go yet. #SenseOfDread

liquid1988

Oct 14, 2013
Exit 88 GSPW
I thought about this while watching because I could totally see me walking out tonight. At home I stopped watching before end of 2nd period, was making me ill. Aside from panthers fans I'd say most "true fans" would have found the game utterly unwatchable.

I might get my chance to walk out anyway, seeing the ducks this weekend. :shakehead Really feeling taken this year at games with several to go yet. #SenseOfDread

Last season I left multiple games early when I sensed the big L coming but this season this is the first time. I was just so pissed at the effort that was given tonight and expect more from this team. (although every analyst in the hockey world would say otherwise)

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I can't wait for someone to quote our W/L record with him in the lineup :laugh:

I'm just looking for something, anything from the bottom 6. It's only his first game back so we'll see.

I really want to see that psychopath Farnham back in the lineup. We desperately needed some energy these last 3 games. I don't know how he does it but he's great at drawing penalties.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I was thinking of bailing when it got to 3-0 since it was obvious that they had zero chance, but it took me am hour and 20 minutes to get to the game with the horrendous traffic today.
When it usually takes 35 minutes.

So I tortured myself and stayed til the end.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Generally I never leave early unless it's a five-goal game after two periods though I might have to break that rule Saturday if they're stinking again in part cause of the football Jet game :P

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
We missed Zajac tonight.

Really rough game to be at. The bottom-6 was dreadful, and was getting destroyed along the boards and in possession.

A lot of missed shot opportunities, and a lot of bad, no-look passes. The latter was mainly Patty and Tootoo. Friggin brutal.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm just looking for something, anything from the bottom 6. It's only his first game back so we'll see.

I really want to see that psychopath Farnham back in the lineup. We desperately needed some energy these last 3 games. I don't know how he does it but he's great at drawing penalties.

It was just a bit...eyebrow raising when someone said we hadn't won a game with Ruutu in the lineup this year, granted he hasn't played a lot but he did play a lot last year when we stunk. Not that he's the reason but right now he's just got a bit of a black cloud presence. Floats around for his 7-8 minutes a game doing nothing as the team loses again.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
We missed Zajac tonight.

Really rough game to be at. The bottom-6 was dreadful, and was getting destroyed along the boards and in possession.

A lot of missed shot opportunities, and a lot of bad, no-look passes. The latter was mainly Patty and Tootoo. Friggin brutal.

Good analysis.

Bottom 6 was brutal but the worst shift of the night was from the top line on the 2nd goal allowed.

Had about 3 should have cleared but didn't, then it was in our net.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Amidst the no show effort on the ice was the no show effort in the stands.

Anyone else annoyed/concerned that we didnt crack 13-14k tonight?

I know attendance is not usually strong the week before Christmas on a weeknight, but it was a lousy crowd tonight considering the team was in a playoff spot going in.

I'm sure it will spike up during the next few weeks but I was deflated by the empty seats.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
This team is going to look mighty different next year. I can see half the roster getting turned over

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Amidst the no show effort on the ice was the no show effort in the stands.

Anyone else annoyed/concerned that we didnt crack 13-14k tonight?

I know attendance is not usually strong the week before Christmas on a weeknight, but it was a lousy crowd tonight considering the team was in a playoff spot going in.

I'm sure it will spike up during the next few weeks but I was deflated by the empty seats.

I know, and I mean while Florida isn't a big market team, we shouldn't have to rely on facing a big name opponent to put butts in the seats. I was very happy to go tonight to my first game at the Rock in a little while (going to school in Northern VA), but I was definitely hoping for more people to be there.

This team is going to look mighty different next year. I can see half the roster getting turned over

I know, and to be quite frank, I'm quite excited at the thought. I mean look at how different the roster looks after one off-season of Shero's work...can you imagine the change when a whole bunch of cap space opens up and more contracts come off the books? Like I said earlier, I can't wait to see what he does, since he's not under nearly the same expectations as he was in Pitt.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
All of Farnham, Ruutu, Kalinin, Josefson, Gionta, (I still feel like I'm missing someone?) are okay on the team, they're all just 4th liners and have no business playing above that. That could change for Kalinin, as he's still new. But this year he's produced like a pretty good 4th liner. Tootoo is fine for the 4th line too, I just feel he's nearing the end. Matteau has barely looked like an NHL player when in the lineup this year. Though I do think he needs a longer rope than what he's gotten, just a little bit longer. Just a slight bit. I'm still undecided on Kennedy. Started out decently, cooled down a lot. Same with Elias. Tlusty has produced at a pace lower than some of the 4th liners I constantly ***** about. So that means that we have to purge half of them, just so we don't have nothing but 4th liners in the entire bottom 6 again.

Ruutu will be out of the league after this year, Tootoo will be out of the league after this year unless we're dumb enough to re sign him. Not sure if he's one of Shero's boys or not. Shero and him go back to Nashville together. Elias will probably be out of the league next year. If he's not though, I think it will be in another city. I never thought we'd re sign him right from before training camp even started this year. If he continues to play like this and his offense continues to dip, I'm not sure how many teams will be lining up to sign him at all. Maybe Pete would love to add him in San Jose? Ruutu and Tootoo weren't Pete guys like Zubrus, so I don't think they'll be en route to San Jose after this season.

And if what I say about Josefson and Kalinin is really bashing them, I think I must have curb stomped Zubrus, Ryder and Havlat last year and Bernier the year before. I've been pretty fair to them, and I haven't said anything that isn't true. They don't belong in the top 9, let alone the top 6. Josefson being the 3rd line center (as well as other 4th liners playing up above the 4th line) is THE reason why we have one even strength goal from our 3rd line this year. An unassisted soft serve special at that.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Farnham is on IR still?

So that means we have to waive someone or send someone to Albany before we activate him? Well at least if Zajac is activated first?

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
It looked like Josefson and Gionta were allergic to centering the puck. I lost track of how many times they would circle behind the net, hold the puck, and eventually turn it over.

When you're losing by a decent margin and nothing is clicking offensively, just throw it on goal. JJ and Gio would look at the man in front, but still continue to cycle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad