GDT: Devils vs. Panthers - 7:30PM MSG+2

Status
Not open for further replies.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I wonder how much the line juggling has to do with Rico, Palmieri, and Cammalleri not getting off to good starts? If at least a couple of those guys were scoring like they did last year maybe Hynes would be more apt to keep more regular lines. It's not like we don't see coaches mix lines when guys aren't producing all the time. Personally I think they are a little too quick to do it, but it's not anything new or different. And I understand Hynes' point of wanting versatility so they don't become too reliant on certain players playing together, but he might be going a little too far the other way.

I thought the Johnny Mac debacle was at least partially due to line juggling. From night to night, no one could get any traction because it seemed that they were always desperate.... that, and the team wasn't that good...

but the fact is that in order for these guys to play with confidence, they've got to be able to build on one shift and one game to the next and feel like - "ok, at least me and that guy had a good shift..". You only need to 'change things up' when you are stuck in a rut. These guys haven't played enough games to find a groove, much less a rut.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I wonder how much the line juggling has to do with Rico, Palmieri, and Cammalleri not getting off to good starts? If at least a couple of those guys were scoring like they did last year maybe Hynes would be more apt to keep more regular lines. It's not like we don't see coaches mix lines when guys aren't producing all the time. Personally I think they are a little too quick to do it, but it's not anything new or different. And I understand Hynes' point of wanting versatility so they don't become too reliant on certain players playing together, but he might be going a little too far the other way.

Cammy and Palms are gripping the stick too tight, at least when it comes to shooting right now. I don't think its just about linemates chemistry, they are just trying too hard to get it in the back of the net and their anticipation/timing is way off compared to last season. Maybe things had gone so well Palms was used to burying it so much, but now he's fighting the timing.

They're both setting up shop in their usual goal spots from season prior, Palms on that spot around where he plays on PP, and Camms setting up around on the other side for that wide angle shot (when hes on the ice)...but keep on shanking the shots way wide. I think its part recovery for Cam and just general he's feeling that he's underperforming so he's trying really hard to get that first goal. Palms is in a slightly similar situation except he's at least buried two already this season.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I want to see some garbage goals if Camm and Palms can't snipe the puck into the net. Get to the crease!

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
I just think guys like Henrique/Palmieri might be a bit overrated and that's where our problems lie. Don't get me wrong, they're both good players and were huge last year, but neither drive a line possession wise. Henrique has always been a more opportunistic goal scorer rather than someone who scores on straight skill. Both are just brutally inconsistent and with Cam's lackluster play, it's showing. Those three guys have been our main issue this year. Even with Zajac, you know what you're getting with him. You're getting a highly intelligent, defensive minded forward who will chip in with some points every now and then but really will just be looking to make the smart play.

Moore shouldn't be starting at this point. He's our most consistent player arguably in that he constantly gets dominated possession wise. He's always trapped in his own zone. One or two smart offensive players through 9 games shouldn't give him a pardon from getting absolutely dominated at times. No doubt in my mind Merrill is better than him. And Auvitu certainly looks better than him too. Maybe Auvitu isn't the cleanest player in his own zone either, but at the very least he usually forces his way into the offensive zone rather than his own end. Moore has got to be a healthy scratch soon.

Zacha/Bennett are very solid together. Those are two guys I wouldn't split up, whether they are on a line with Hall or without him. Bennett has been our best possession player on the year. He was snake bitten points wise until tonight. Not the biggest fan of DSP, but he is good in front of the net, so that might warrant him a spot on the fourth line.

PAP continues to play well. No complaints with him.

It's really just Moore/Henrique/Palmieri/Cammalleri who are the guys that need to step up or get off the ice in Moore's case.

hutter

Mar 6, 2014
I just think guys like Henrique/Palmieri might be a bit overrated and that's where our problems lie. Don't get me wrong, they're both good players and were huge last year, but neither drive a line possession wise. Henrique has always been a more opportunistic goal scorer rather than someone who scores on straight skill. Both are just brutally inconsistent and with Cam's lackluster play, it's showing. Those three guys have been our main issue this year. Even with Zajac, you know what you're getting with him. You're getting a highly intelligent, defensive minded forward who will chip in with some points every now and then but really will just be looking to make the smart play.

Moore shouldn't be starting at this point. He's our most consistent player arguably in that he constantly gets dominated possession wise. He's always trapped in his own zone. One or two smart offensive players through 9 games shouldn't give him a pardon from getting absolutely dominated at times. No doubt in my mind Merrill is better than him. And Auvitu certainly looks better than him too. Maybe Auvitu isn't the cleanest player in his own zone either, but at the very least he usually forces his way into the offensive zone rather than his own end. Moore has got to be a healthy scratch soon.

Zacha/Bennett are very solid together. Those are two guys I wouldn't split up, whether they are on a line with Hall or without him. Bennett has been our best possession player on the year. He was snake bitten points wise until tonight. Not the biggest fan of DSP, but he is good in front of the net, so that might warrant him a spot on the fourth line.

PAP continues to play well. No complaints with him.

It's really just Moore/Henrique/Palmieri/Cammalleri who are the guys that need to step up or get off the ice in Moore's case.

To me, Auvitu actually doesn't look bad in our zone. Forcing the play forward is 90% of defense today. Yea, he could be better with his stick and doesn't seem to seal off the play all that much, but he has his own skill set that makes him defensively valuable.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The OT was worth the price of admission. I'm not sure anything is worth this long and brutal drive though. And my poor friend has it worse than me. He hasn't even gotten home yet.

At least we got a point, but I won't ever go to Sunrise for a non-playoff game again. The only exceptions would be if the Lightning somehow relocated and that was the only city within 600 miles of with an NHL team. And even then, I wouldn't go unless it was a Friday/Saturday night and only once a year. And that's highly unlikely to ever happen.

Or in the circumstances that I somehow find myself living down there one day and it becomes much closer to me than Tampa is. I think there's a better chance of the Lightning relocating than actually finding myself moving. But I'll only go to the Tampa games from here on out.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
And the line juggling is beyond annoying at this point.

The only person it would piss off any annoy more than fans is Adam Oates. The lines were fine the other night in the last game. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I wonder if Hynes is a similar type of mechanic to this guy I know. He'd replace a part on his car like the water pump or alternator, just because it was old. Even if it was still working properly. Then he'd put the new part in and it would be defective out of the box.

And is it really gonna help a vet like Cammalleri to be playing a position that I don't believe he's ever player before? For however many years he's played in the league? This is getting to be asinine. It's like the reverse-Oates. Oates would try and change league vets to their on wing because he wanted all righties on the right wing and lefty shooters on the left wing. We're putting guys on their off wing just for the sake of doing it at this point.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
All I know is that Trocheck is killing us. Penalties and PK hurt us. I'll give them a break for being off 4 or 5 days prior to the game. Also congrats to Zacha on his first NHL goal. Hopefully, this will help him to start burying more pucks. We sure need it.

Last edited:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
We already have more OT losses than we did all of last year and we're not even 10 games in. The frustrating part is we kind of shot ourselves in the foot in all three of those losses in OT. Although this one didn't feel as bad because we came back from down 3-1.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Some more thoughts after a night's sleep:

1) Happy Zacha scored. Hope it's the first of many.

2) Cammy, Palmieri, and Rico all need to step up more than they have if this team is going to be successful. This is not a negative comment because I do believe that they can be better than they've shown so far this season, but they need to do it. Not being a chicken little; just trying to be realistic about our team's fortunes of three of our top forwards from last year continue to struggle.

3) Even in a loss, I think Hall showed how he could be a game changer for us. Encouraging to hear that Orr thinks he has been so happy here. Hopefully it stays that way.

4) Really pleased with Severson's play and glad I defended him when that wasn't necessarily the popular course of action. This is the kind of player I hoped he could be, and it's nice to see my faith rewarded.

5) At least the team managed to get a point in a game that was definitely not their best. Hope to see better results and effort next game.

Ben Matlock

Resteriged Uesr
Aug 21, 2007
On pace for 25 "loser points". 25 is probably impossible to reach, but it would be funny to have like 15 of them and make the playoffs. There would be so much crying on the main board.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
On pace for 25 "loser points". 25 is probably impossible to reach, but it would be funny to have like 15 of them and make the playoffs. There would be so much crying on the main board.

Only reason the Flyers made the playoffs last year was because of like 14 loser points. They only had 2 or 3 more wins than us.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
be me

go to bed 3-1 down
wake up
notification the Devils won in OT
watch highlights
3-3 Zacha nice
OT starts
Hall breakaway..... never mind
Trochek scores
wait for it to be waved off for some reason
isnt waved off
cry
go back to sleep

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
be me

go to bed 3-1 down
wake up
notification the Devils won in OT
watch highlights
3-3 Zacha nice
OT starts
Hall breakaway..... never mind
Trochek scores
wait for it to be waved off for some reason
isnt waved off
cry
go back to sleep

I can't blame Hall on the breakaway, because he hunted down the puck like a mad speed demon, just wish he went top shelf back-hand instead of 5-hole. I'm already sick of playing Florida teams and we have Tampa tomorrow.

Last edited:

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I can't blame Hall on the breakaway, because he hunted down the puck like a mad speed demon, just wish he went top shelf back-hand instead of 9-hole. I'm already sick of playing Florida teams and we have Tampa tomorrow.

Not to mention the puck was rolling the entire time. He tried to settle it down before he fired it but it never got off its edge. I think that's why he tried to go 5 hole.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
The OT was worth the price of admission. I'm not sure anything is worth this long and brutal drive though. And my poor friend has it worse than me. He hasn't even gotten home yet.

At least we got a point, but I won't ever go to Sunrise for a non-playoff game again. The only exceptions would be if the Lightning somehow relocated and that was the only city within 600 miles of with an NHL team. And even then, I wouldn't go unless it was a Friday/Saturday night and only once a year. And that's highly unlikely to ever happen.

Or in the circumstances that I somehow find myself living down there one day and it becomes much closer to me than Tampa is. I think there's a better chance of the Lightning relocating than actually finding myself moving. But I'll only go to the Tampa games from here on out.

No idea how you have made that trip year after year (besides your love of Devils hockey). I have a hard enough time driving up to Tampa to go to the games (less then an hour and a half). It's not the same going to away games and if we lose or win that long drive home is horrible.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Watching the OT again and I still have no idea how they didn't call Palmieri getting planted. Oh and by the way it was the same guy who took Severson out in the other OT game this year. Also, Ekblad kind of subtly skated in front of Cammalleri, holding him up slightly on the backcheck on the game winner. Still, we probably deserved our fate given how pathetic the PK was.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Watching the OT again and I still have no idea how they didn't call Palmieri getting planted. Oh and by the way it was the same guy who took Severson out in the other OT game this year. Also, Ekblad kind of subtly skated in front of Cammalleri, holding him up slightly on the backcheck on the game winner. Still, we probably deserved our fate given how pathetic the PK was.

Didn't see that. I just figured he ran out of gas and couldn't get back into the play in time. Thanks because I was telling myself how he sucks and has taken a major step backwards. Now I feel bad.;)

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

Yeah that was a penalty that was uncalled.

The PK is too slow up front.
Skating and reaction time.

Gave Florida too much space in prime scoring areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad