Pre-Game Talk: Devils vs Oilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Eastern Conference opponent right now is the worst possible thing for anyone holding out for changes in Edmonton. They win this one and all will be forgiven probably.

EnthusiasticYak

Mar 7, 2014
Eastern Conference opponent right now is the worst possible thing for anyone holding out for changes in Edmonton. They win this one and all will be forgiven probably.

If they put Marincin in then i can see them winning. It'll buy Eakins 10 more games for sure. It's telling to listen to his post game interviews and what his mindset is regarding wins and losses; when they lose he just takes the positives and looks onto the next game. But in a competent organization they re-evaluate after a loss and look onto the next game after a win.

I agree partially with some of Eakins' values, but he just isn't hitting the nail on the head when it comes to the big stuff. I think he would have made a fine NHL assistant but the jump to HC was just too much for him, and for some reason he was in a position to only accept a HC job. It is what it is, fans and the rest of the Oilers group just need to hope that his coaching style hasn't done any permanent damage to the players development.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
I expect an Oilers loss. Could be close, but the snowball effect is hard to halt and the team hasn't show the talent or focus to be able to deliver. NJ is still in the Eastern playoff chase - Edmonton is realizing it's 'next year' time already. Hope I'm wrong, but short of a crazy goaltending performance, we're due for an Eastern team to trounce us.

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee
Jagr's huge butt boxes out all the wimps on the team for 2 assists and 1 goal. he either skates the puck up and does a wrist shot using the defense as a screen to win the game or he comes out of the corner using his butt and shoots from a crap angle.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
If they put Marincin in then i can see them winning. It'll buy Eakins 10 more games for sure. It's telling to listen to his post game interviews and what his mindset is regarding wins and losses; when they lose he just takes the positives and looks onto the next game. But in a competent organization they re-evaluate after a loss and look onto the next game after a win.

I agree partially with some of Eakins' values, but he just isn't hitting the nail on the head when it comes to the big stuff. I think he would have made a fine NHL assistant but the jump to HC was just too much for him, and for some reason he was in a position to only accept a HC job. It is what it is, fans and the rest of the Oilers group just need to hope that his coaching style hasn't done any permanent damage to the players development.

From what I understood Eakins was actually willing to accept an assistent gig but MacT went all high-school-crushy on him and hired him as a HC. He probably would have been a nice balance to Kruegers more leaned back style. Oh well.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
I'm excited to see the Devil's young D-man. Severson, Gelinas and Larsson all look like future top-4 guys with more development.

It's the east so we'll be in the game and maybe even win.

Truth be told, I'm just voting for chaos.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
From what I understood Eakins was actually willing to accept an assistent gig but MacT went all high-school-crushy on him and hired him as a HC. He probably would have been a nice balance to Kruegers more leaned back style. Oh well.
"Dallas are you interested in an assistant coaching position with the Edmonton Oilers?"

"Oh yes, I could learn a thing or two about winning from you and Kevin Lowe. He has the most Stanley Cups of anyone active in the game right now and you'd have even more if the stupid coaches would have given you more ice time instead of Gretzky."

"Do you know how to set up Skype? Of course you do, you're a genius."

EnthusiasticYak

Mar 7, 2014

Sounds like he should have stuck with his original plan to insulate Krueger with good assistants.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
This one feels like a 4-3 game, not sure for who. Agree that Jagr will do what he always does to us. I still remember that play where he undressed Whitney (in OT I think) when he was with the Stars, to score the game winner.

I'll say 4-3 Devs.

Jagr x 2, Henrique, Severson

Yak x 2, Hall

oilersrule14

May 13, 2003
Visit site

He was interviewing for an associate position, which is different than assistant. However, he was also interviewing for multiple other head coaching positions, and that he was a frontrunner for a lot of them...if I recall, the media thought Vancouver was going to hire him as head coach before the Oilers 'stole' him.

mactforcoach

Nov 18, 2008
Drayton Valley Ab
I'd consider this a special game to be at, then we go and give our tickets away. It might very well be the last chance we get to see Jagr play and theres nothing quite like watching him live.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
This thread is very depressing. Is there any other forums where people aren't bitter and hateful.

The team is bad and has been bad for a long time we all know this. The actual bitterness and level of vitriol put towards the Oilers however only has a small part to do with the actual record of the team. People would still be upset at a bad team long term but not near this bad. Here are the reasons.

1) The front office has shown itself to be rife with nepotism for years. Hiring boy hood heros, hiring buddies etc.
2) The front office has set themselves up to be positively unlikeable due to how they treat certain players, how they talk up their own abilities and how they seem to have utter disdain for anyone questioning their methods.
3) The team had the utter gall to lamely threaten the fans (who have filled the rink and bought gobs of merchandise for years) with moving the team all because they wanted to put pressure on the city for a very very very favourable arena deal (which they got).
4) The cities media has been tremendously slow to put any kind of pressure on the organization for their long list of foibles. In fact the Oilers have essentially bought silence and favourable reviews in the instance of one radio station and it's employees.

All of this leads to an incredible sense of frustration with almost no way to vent it. Also with the full knowledge that nothing is going to change in a major way. Kevin Lowe steps down? He has already done the damage by hiring macT. Eakins gets fired? MacT is still there and will be looking for a coach who thinks like him.

People call for a purge, we all know that is not going to happen and the people responsible for, in mact's words this 'Debacle' will ride off into the sunset with rose petals tossed at their feet instead of being tossed out on their ear.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I like that they're going back to the Pouliot-RNH-Eberle line. They need to keep that line together and build another line around Hall.

Crobby

Sep 14, 2009
We really need a big shot from the point. I can think of maybe 3 goals all year that have come from the blue line. Nikitin PP, Purcell PP, and Ference last game. Thats it. Everything else is in close or from the slot, etc.

A big point shot generates rebounds, helps the PP, keeps defenders honest (am i going to play Aulie tight or cheat down the half wall and cover Hall/RNH/Eberle instead??).

Our cycle game is poor because we don't generate anything back there. These are goals that kill momentum for other teams. You get the puck deep, forecheck, cycle, back to point, and BOOM! A quick goal is huge. We don't get these. We have to make a perfect play to score in this scenario right now and good teams don't allow that. Need some greasy, crash the net, lucky bounce, mayhem scramble type goals that seem to happen in our end constantly.

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
Marcinin will play tonight and play well. Hopefully showing Oilers management/coaching how bad Nikitin actually has played..

Next game Aullie will come out of the line up for Nikitin and Nikitin will continue to play terrible and get tons of ice time... "some coaches just want to watch the world burn"

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I like that they're going back to the Pouliot-RNH-Eberle line. They need to keep that line together and build another line around Hall.

I like how Eakins matched Hall/RNH/Eberle against the Sedin line last game. Totally canceled out our top line. He should have split them up but he's not bright enough to do that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad