Pre-Game Talk: Devils vs Oilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I like how Eakins matched Hall/RNH/Eberle against the Sedin line last game. Totally canceled out our top line. He should have split them up but he's not bright enough to do that

Yeah especially when the Pouliot-RNH-Eberle line did so well in Hall's absence. I also think that Hall isn't 100% because I haven't seen his really wind up like he can since the injury.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Yeah especially when the Pouliot-RNH-Eberle line did so well in Hall's absence. I also think that Hall isn't 100% because I haven't seen his really wind up like he can since the injury.

Yeah I've noticed that as well. Not really sure why they would rush him back. Haven't they heard of the RG3 debacle? :laugh:

EnthusiasticYak

Mar 7, 2014
Thought i'd post this here since this thread is kinda chat for today, but Andrew Cogliano said some interesting stuff on hockey central at noon just a few minutes ago. Obviously it's been a while since he's been in Edmonton but it doesn't seem like anything has changed from the mindset he suggests the team was in before games.

"With Anaheim the standard is: you have to win. That's just the bottom line, every time we play we expect to win. I'm not saying that that is not what it was in Edmonton, but the years i was there you sometimes.. you really knew you weren't going to win. In Anaheim it's completely different, the organization is at such a high level you have no time to feel comfortable."

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
Ryan Rishaug‏@TSNRyanRishaug·17 secs18 seconds ago
Marincin will be in tonight.

tumblr_inline_nd3s94o5EW1r59of0.gif

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Fun Fact!!

If Edmonton loses tonight they will have gone 4 points better than last in the first 20 games. Yay... Progress. But wait.

They will be 6 points worse than they were 2 years ago, and all of the points that year were obtained against the west. Oh oh.

:help:

Also they only had one point against the west at this time last year (albeit in only 6 games rather than 10 this year), so all of the improvement is at the expense of beating the Eastern teams at a better rate than last year.

First win was against Calgary in Game 22. Game 22 is against Dallas this year. We watch in anticipation. Well, maybe we'll watch.

Last edited:

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
I mean HF boards has become the epitome of misery for the Oilers.

Of course it has. There's a passionate fan base here and the Oilers have been garbage for almost a decade.

Why would people be happy with the teams performance?

nhlisajoke

Nov 15, 2010
Edmonton
Ryan Rishaug‏@TSNRyanRishaug·1 min1 minute ago
Aulie doing the conditioning work. Looks like he’s out for Marincin.

oh man, Nikitin stays in

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Bold prediction:

The Oilers will never win another game against the West for as long as they exist. Better get these wins against the East.

lololololololol this team make brain hurt.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Ryan Rishaug‏@TSNRyanRishaug·1 min1 minute ago
Aulie doing the conditioning work. Looks like he’s out for Marincin.

oh man, Nikitin stays in

At this stage, regarding Nikitin the only thing that makes sense for me is that MacT is "recommending" to Eakins that he be given every chance to work his way out of whatever doldrums he's in, and Eakins knows better than to say no at this stage in the game.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Thought i'd post this here since this thread is kinda chat for today, but Andrew Cogliano said some interesting stuff on hockey central at noon just a few minutes ago. Obviously it's been a while since he's been in Edmonton but it doesn't seem like anything has changed from the mindset he suggests the team was in before games.

"With Anaheim the standard is: you have to win. That's just the bottom line, every time we play we expect to win. I'm not saying that that is not what it was in Edmonton, but the years i was there you sometimes.. you really knew you weren't going to win. In Anaheim it's completely different, the organization is at such a high level you have no time to feel comfortable."

Rebuild... 4-6 year time frame to be competitive... "it's a process".

Everything we hear and see from this team points to a team that has no sense of urgency to WIN NOW.

It's always assumed the team is in a transition phase and they'll get better "someday" at some fuzzy point in the future when all the players have developed sufficiently and everyone on the team eventually buys in to the fantastic advanced systems the coaches are preaching and everyone lives up to their full potentials. It's a process.

Everyone from management to coaches to players has a pass on being a truly competitive team that's actually expected to win each game they play.

I get the feeling the team is in a limbo period where they are all waiting to finally be competitive in the new rink... like that will finally turn around the team and everything until then is a process.

***** aren't being kicked on a daily basis to be an actual hard-working team that is expected to win every ****ing game they play... that's what happens on actual competitive teams... and it certainly isn't the case on the Oilers.

Instead we have this weak... "It's a process" type environment which allows mediocre game after games performances to get a free pass.

nhlisajoke

Nov 15, 2010
Edmonton
just got offered gold seats and i took them....please forgive me :

Please forgive me ‒ I know not what I do.
Please forgive me ‒ I can't stop lovin' you
Don't deny me, this pain I'm going through...
Please forgive me if I need you like I do.
Please believe me, every word I say is true...
Please forgive me I can't stop loving you

Still feels like our best times are together.
Feels like the first touch, still gettin' closer baby
Can't get close enough.
Still holdin' on, you're still number one.
I remember the smell of your skin,
I remember everything,
I remember all your moves I remember you, yeah!
I remember the nights, you know I still do.

nhlisajoke

Nov 15, 2010
Edmonton
Jason Gregor‏@JasonGregor·3 mins3 minutes ago
"We default to veterans that they will play well. Nikky feels he can play better and we need him to." Eakins on Nikitin #Oilers

Last edited by a moderator:

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Don't know if this has already been said:

"Nuge has hit a spot where he can carry a line. We know Taylor can so we will try to get two lines going." Eakins on line changes.

This is ****ing ridiculous. How the **** does our head coach come to this conclusions after all of us, two babies and a ****ing house cat?

I don't understand how he's always the last one to figure something out.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
At this stage, regarding Nikitin the only thing that makes sense for me is that MacT is "recommending" to Eakins that he be given every chance to work his way out of whatever doldrums he's in, and Eakins knows better than to say no at this stage in the game.

Same reason they keep going to the Justin Schultz well again and again.

Guess they didn't teach the concept of sunk costs at whatever online diploma mill MacT got his business degree from.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
Rebuild... 4-6 year time frame to be competitive... "it's a process".

Everything we hear and see from this team points to a team that has no sense of urgency to WIN NOW.

It's always assumed the team is in a transition phase and they'll get better "someday" at some fuzzy point in the future when all the players have developed sufficiently and everyone on the team eventually buys in to the fantastic advanced systems the coaches are preaching and everyone lives up to their full potentials. It's a process.

Everyone from management to coaches to players has a pass on being a truly competitive team that's actually expected to win each game they play.

I get the feeling the team is in a limbo period where they are all waiting to finally be competitive in the new rink... like that will finally turn around the team and everything until then is a process.

***** aren't being kicked on a daily basis to be an actual hard-working team that is expected to win every ****ing game they play... that's what happens on actual competitive teams... and it certainly isn't the case on the Oilers.

Instead we have this weak... "It's a process" type environment which allows mediocre game after games performances to get a free pass.

Just to play devil's advocate, it's really easy to develop a wining attitude and go into games expecting to win when you already have a track record of success. It's not a switch you can turn on or off. There's no magic formula either that will make a team start believing in themselves. The only cure for losing is winning.

cj354

Nov 2, 2013

This is ****ing ridiculous. How the **** does our head coach come to this conclusions after all of us, two babies and a ****ing house cat?

This exactly.

The mistakes that Eakins has been making this year are just so clear avoidable, this more than anything is what has been the most frustrating for me so far in the season.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

LOL, as usual the oilers are two weeks behind the average fan of this team. My god.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad