GDT: Devils vs. Jets - Most Extreme Hockey Challenge part II

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Funny thing is that I actually got roasted by a couple people for ripping Cory for that game, but as far as the eye test goes, he played worse or at least as bad in that game as he did tonight or in Ottawa. That game was more on him than these last two. I think most people claimed that night that the team wasn't playing well, and maybe up to that point in the season's standards we weren't, but it was an improvement over 2 of the last 3 games and the way we played in Tampa.

The poor goal in the 1st period that went through him and then that game winner that went either off his glove and into the blue paint or possibly in between his arm and body and leaked through and into the crease, that game pissed me off from him. He played worse that night on the eyes than he did on paper and probably not as bad in these last two games as he did on paper. Goal 4 in Ottawa and goal 5 tonight were bad ones though.

We were legit playing bad against Detroit. It was close because they are Detroit. Cory did let in some questionable ones though. More then tonight for sure.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
i just dont remember cory making more than a few relatively hard saves this game is what is tough to swallow. its not just the quality of goals you allow but also the ones you prevent. and why i think bleeds system is relatively flawed. (sorry bleed)

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
i just dont remember cory making more than a few relatively hard saves this game is what is tough to swallow. its not just the quality of goals you allow but also the ones you prevent. and why i think bleeds system is relatively flawed. (sorry bleed)
It's hard to watch every save, just too time consuming, so that's why I can't use that system.

If the league would like to hire me to watch every shot on goal and save, I would definitely do it for money though!:laugh:

But they gotta pay me full time because I won't have time to go to work if I'm doing that!

Reactions: haak84

Azathoth

May 25, 2017
Centre of Chaos
The whole team sucks right now. Bitching about how crappy Corey is is like complains about how the deck chairs are oriented on the titanic.

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
Another night another loss. When is this shit going to end COACH. This will be excepted well. Cory needs to do a shitload better then he is. Keith although may not be the best option, but its the best one we have. Cory needs to figure out his game. Coach needs to figure out this team OR he needs to be replaced. SOMETHING HAS TO GIVE BEFORE THE SEASON IS LOST.

Reactions: glenwo2

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The whole team sucks right now. *****ing about how crappy Corey is is like complains about how the deck chairs are oriented on the titanic.
Not that I disagree for this game personally, but Cory has been crappy for over 2 years now, whereas most of the team (outside of the guys that have always been crappy) haven't been. I think that's why the leash with Cory has snapped.

Reactions: glenwo2

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
So basically in the last 6 games we lost, we allowed 33 goals..

And I mean I really want to know what Mueller is thinking right now after seeing the game from the press box. He must think Hines is a f***ing idiot

Reactions: Bleedred

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
Not that I disagree for this game personally, but Cory has been crappy for over 2 years now, whereas most of the team (outside of the guys that have always been crappy) haven't been. I think that's why the leash with Cory has snapped.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Johansson has 19 points in 46 games as a Devil. That's a 34 point player over 82 games.

He averaged 46 per 82 as a Capital, including the playoffs.

I don't want him back, I feel like he'll be let go and he'll be one of the Beau Bennett and Parenteau guys that Shero talks about who need to ''Play f***ing harder'' as far as this season goes.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Johansson has 19 points in 46 games as a Devil. That's a 34 point player over 82 games.

He averaged 46 per 82 as a Capital, including the playoffs.

I don't want him back, I feel like he'll be let go and he'll be one of the Beau Bennett and Parenteau guys that Shero talks about who need to ''Play ****ing harder'' as far as this season goes.

I think you were spot on with the Boedker comparison earlier in this thread...another perimeter 'skill' player that got 50 points early in his career but fell off the map in his mid-20's. At least we aren't gonna be stuck with the bill on the MarJo long-term contract though, all we're out is the two draft picks.

Reactions: Bleedred

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
I can only imagine how the reaction would be if Marty had been this bad for this long. Although his skills dwindled a bunch he had times where he could come back and be lights out. I don't see this in Cory but to be fair I cant's say what his injuries have done to his game. THAT'S UP TO YOU COACH

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The whole team sucks right now. *****ing about how crappy Corey is is like complains about how the deck chairs are oriented on the titanic.

Goal-tending is the least of this team's problems right now. If you have 8,492 scoring chances per night, stuff's gonna' go in, doesnt matter who's in net.

If prime 28 year old Martin Brodeur played this game, he'd have given up 3 or 4 goals too.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
How was the fourth goal soft exactly? It rebounded off the boards right to an open player on the side of the net. Look I'll bag on Cory as much as anyone but bagging on Cory is missing the point right now. Blaming Cory for this mess is like blaming Josh McCown for the Jets no-showing against the Bills today. Sure he hasn't play well in a long time but can the rest of the team COMPETE first?

Like it or not we're stuck with Cory for the forseeable future and Keith's not playing the remaining 65 games of the season. He'll play the majority but Cory's gotta play some and the team needs to get its heads out of its rear end or it won't matter who plays what game.

Wasn't soft, but he also was tracking the puck horrbily, as usual.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think you were spot on with the Boedker comparison earlier in this thread...another perimeter 'skill' player that got 50 points early in his career but fell off the map in his mid-20's. At least we aren't gonna be stuck with the bill on the MarJo long-term contract though, all we're out is the two draft picks.
We might be able to get a 2nd round pick for him at the deadline if we're out. Maybe not. If a team wants to pay for his past production.

I'm not mad about spending that pick for him at all, it just didn't work out. I'd find a similar player who we can get for a 2nd round pick this offseason. He's probably the biggest underachiever on this team this year.

And while it's too early to say right now, he might even fall off because of the concussions. Still too early to say if that's happening right now, but I don't wanna re-sign him to find out. He and Zacha are the two biggest disappointments and underachievers this season. Noesen is also another guy that I wanted more from, but he's not been what he was last season.

For me, I never expected Lovejoy to be good, I never expected Stafford to even be as good as he was last year (which wasn't good), I never thought Cory would bounce back and be good again, so those are the three biggest disappointments. Add Miles Wood to the fourth biggest.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
telling you - Nasreddine is gonna be the first scapegoat for the overall teams' failures. Maybe we see Brylin or Stevens up here (someone needs to whisper in Scotty's ears)

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
telling you - Nasreddine is gonna be the first scapegoat for the overall teams' failures. Maybe we see Brylin or Stevens up here (someone needs to whisper in Scotty's ears)
It's very rare that an assistant goes mid-season, without a head coach also going.

I think when/if Hynes goes, that's when Nasreddine will go, unless it's after this season and Hynes survives it, but Shero takes one of his assistants as a ''Warning, you'll be next' move.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Give me an example of an assistant anywhere in the NHL getting fired in-season where the head coach wasn't.

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
Goal-tending is the least of this team's problems right now. If you have 8,492 scoring chances per night, stuff's gonna' go in, doesnt matter who's in net.

If prime 28 year old Martin Brodeur played this game, he'd have given up 3 or 4 goals too.
Wrong. I'm not going to get into a Marty argument but prime Marty could flat out steal games and keep us in the race when the rest of the team sucked. Many times this team just plays with the puck and would rather make a pretty pass then getting it to the net. SHOOT THE DAM THING.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Give me an example of an assistant anywhere in the NHL getting fired in-season where the head coach wasn't.
Yup, that's what I just said haha.

It definitely happens, but it's almost always in the offseason.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

I think a team would be willing to take a chance on him so we should be able to get some assets back.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
devils had 23 scoring chances and jets had 20

this game wasnt as lopsided as ppl want you to believe. wasnt as close as im making it out to be either.

Reactions: glenwo2 and Nubmer6

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Wrong. I'm not going to get into a Marty argument but prime Marty could flat out steal games and keep us in the race when the rest of the team sucked. Many times this team just plays with the puck and would rather make a pretty pass then getting it to the net. SHOOT THE DAM THING.

Comparing either Cory OR KK to prime Marty is a disservice. Not to mention prime Marty didn't have to play in front of teams like this. The one time Marty had to play on a team this bad, he looked just as bad as either goalie - granted it was in his late 30's when he was even getting benched for a little while after Lemaire came back.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00