GDT: Devils vs. Jets - Most Extreme Hockey Challenge part II

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Why not? He didn't get sent down after the season started and he could have stayed up all year.

Once the player is reassigned to their junior team they can’t be recalled until the team’s season is over outside of some emergency situations.

Basically he is safe and will spend the year doing what he should.

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I'm done with MoJo honestly, get that guy off the team. He was horrible in our end last night and for a while now.

Reactions: glenwo2

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
yeah that's too bad for his wrist but it doesn't look malicious. just bad luck honestly

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
I feel genuinely bad for Cory. Seems like a great guy and he's clearly well liked and respected by the team. He just can't play anymore.

Such a shame, how his career is turning out.

Terrible acquisition by Lou in hindsight - Cory kept us from truly bottoming out when we desperately needed to. His prime never matched up with our rebuild.

Now we're trying to compete with a goalie who's lost a step.

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
I sometimes wonder how it might feel as a player to go into a game with a goalie that will give up at least two bad goals and will not make any extraordinary saves. It's like starting a game with a 2 goal deficit. I think goal #4 sums Cory up perfectly. The shot misses the goal and he takes forever to react and move to his right for the rebound. This is not a body thing. This has to do with will and with a quick mind. Right now Cory has neither. He looks beat and washed up.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I sometimes wonder how it might feel as a player to go into a game with a goalie that will give up at least two bad goals and will not make any extraordinary saves. It's like starting a game with a 2 goal deficit. I think goal #4 sums Cory up perfectly. The shot misses the goal and he takes forever to react and move to his right for the rebound. This is not a body thing. This has to do with will and with a quick mind. Right now Cory has neither. He looks beat and washed up.

Really? That's the goal you're going to kill him for? And it absolutely is a body thing. He clearly can't move like he used to anymore, which I'm sure plays into his mental game as well.

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
And it absolutely is a body thing. He clearly can't move like he used to anymore, which I'm sure plays into his mental game as well.

You're kidding, right? Look at the goal again and count the seconds he just sits there until he decides it may be a good idea to move to the other side, which he does in turtle-speed.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Is Larry Robinson still coaching or is he retired completely?. I know he's getting up there in age.
I believe he works for St. Louis now. At least he did last year. And I think he does most of the work from his home in Florida.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I feel genuinely bad for Cory. Seems like a great guy and he's clearly well liked and respected by the team. He just can't play anymore.
I’d be surprised if he’s here next year. I think he’ll be bought out in June, unless they feel they can find a 60 game goalie and that they can nurse him as a backup for one more year, especially if they know the CBA will be up the year after and we can get rid of him for free.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
You're kidding, right? Look at the goal again and count the seconds he just sits there until he decides it may be a good idea to move to the other side, which he does in turtle-speed.

That play happened quicker than you're making it sound. I just don't think he can physically move very well laterally anymore.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
I’d be surprised if he’s here next year. I think he’ll be bought out in June, unless they feel they can find a 60 game goalie and that they can nurse him as a backup for one more year, especially if they know the CBA will be up the year after and we can get rid of him for free.
Doesnt he have a no trade clause.... I would imagine he would be asked to waive it.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
That play happened quicker than you're making it sound. I just don't think he can physically move very well laterally anymore.

Yeah that play was barely over a second from the time the puck went past Cory on the initial shot to the time the rebound got swatted in. You'd like him to get up a little quicker but we are nitpicking what was really a bad break and bad defense.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yeah that play was barely over a second from the time the puck went past Cory on the initial shot to the time the rebound got swatted in. You'd like him to get up a little quicker but we are nitpicking what was really a bad break and bad defense.

I think every single Jet touched the puck at least once.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

Absolutely -

A rebound off of the backboard is REALLY hard to deal with when you're a goalie - you lose site of the puck and you literally have no idea where the puck really is. You're taught to avoid over-anticipating (guessing) and you're supposed to just react.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Umm...... Prime Marty played with multiple HALL OF FAME DEFENSEMEN.

Are you talking about when Colin White and Mike Motteau were our best and Marty still broke the record for wins in a season?

Realize that 2004 just about marked the end of "HOF defensemen for Marty" and he went on to play only 10 more seasons and win almost another 300 games.

Just about half of his career he was without any great defenseman in front of him - so that's just a common anti-marty narrative.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Doesnt he have a no trade clause.... I would imagine he would be asked to waive it.
And who would want him? He’s a ghost of himself at this point. And we don’t even know yet if he’s completely fallen apart since last year. He doesn’t even look serviceable anymore. Though it’s only 3 games, but I wouldn’t wanna give him more starts to find out. Regardless, I don’t think he’s ever gonna be better than the last two years, unless it’s only temporarily.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
And who would want him? He’s a ghost of himself at this point. And we don’t even know yet if he’s completely fallen apart since last year. He doesn’t even look serviceable anymore. Though it’s only 3 games, but I wouldn’t wanna give him more starts to find out. Regardless, I don’t think he’s ever gonna be better than the last two years, unless it’s only temporarily.

if we retained $3M a team might do it. then we could maybe sign kinkaid or a UFA at $3.5M?

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
I think there are teams that would take cory esp if he does rebound this season. Its 3 games, besides being slower and still giving up the weak goal hes looking like his former self (was always avg, 2-3 seasons of above avg play doesnt make him elite) Besides the Detroit game which he lost himself, he really hasn't had a chance to win the other 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad