GDT: Devils vs. Ducks - 8:00 PM - MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Remember when I said that it was nice to see the Canucks handling business?

So that didn't exactly play out
A10A1B4A-851C-4810-9153-AC5852BB4D92.png

Reactions: Forge and Dialamo

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Im so confused

Is Hoelscher 6’1” 180 or 5’10 160??

These prospect websites are never the same with these things

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
All youre doing is responding with these snarky posts that dont actually list any reasonable explanation

I thought you were better than this - weve had some good conversations recently so I dont get why you cant give me some reasons like I have to you

Because it's actually been answered before (just not by me)

If you leave him a year short of UFA, he doesn't have to take anything longer than a year contract wise. He's an RFA with arbitration eligible rights. So he sits tight, goes to arbitration, an award is handed out and he's a UFA the following year with quite possibly a lot of resentment. Thus, signing him a year shy of his UFA is not a cure all. You cannot force him to take years out of his free agency. If you want to get around that, maybe you need to kick out the possibility of signing him to a 5 year deal as well. So now we are looking at 3 / 4 (to potentially sign him to a long term deal at that point , but if he outplays that, that second contract in 3 to 4 years could be considerably greater. Say he settles in at 50-60 point per season over the next three. Well, we are going to have to give him a good amount of money when he's up again.

Secondarily, we don't know what the labor landscape is at that point in time. How do we know that the terms of free agency aren't different? Maybe, when a new cba is signed, one of the things that is altered is when they can hit UFA and he hits it anyway.

Thirdly, I'm not concerned about 6.5 years down the line with him. I'm just not. I can't get people to be concerned about signing Palms to a bloated contract for 5 years down the line that will probably not age well, but now I'm getting blow back for not having enough foresight to want to shut down signing a 21 year old a year shy of unrestricted free agency. This whole thing is ass backwards.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Because it's actually been answered before (just not by me)

If you leave him a year short of UFA, he doesn't have to take anything longer than a year contract wise. He's an RFA with arbitration eligible rights. So he sits tight, goes to arbitration, an award is handed out and he's a UFA the following year with quite possibly a lot of resentment. Thus, signing him a year shy of his UFA is not a cure all. You cannot force him to take years out of his free agency. If you want to get around that, maybe you need to kick out the possibility of signing him to a 5 year deal as well. So now we are looking at 3 / 4 (to potentially sign him to a long term deal at that point , but if he outplays that, that second contract in 3 to 4 years could be considerably greater. Say he settles in at 50-60 point per season over the next three. Well, we are going to have to give him a good amount of money when he's up again.

Secondarily, we don't know what the labor landscape is at that point in time. How do we know that the terms of free agency aren't different? Maybe, when a new cba is signed, one of the things that is altered is when they can hit UFA and he hits it anyway.

Thirdly, I'm not concerned about 6.5 years down the line with him. I'm just not. I can't get people to be concerned about signing Palms to a bloated contract for 5 years down the line that will probably not age well, but now I'm getting blow back for not having enough foresight to want to shut down signing a 21 year old a year shy of unrestricted free agency. This whole thing is ass backwards.
Ive said before the only talents you should sign to long term deals after their ELC are top draft picks. hischier/Hughes were always going to get 6-8 years out of their ELC. But guys like Jesper/Smith/etc.. who take longer to prove themselves should be given 2-4 year deals like the Severson/Butcher/Wood/Zacha deals because while they may cost more later on you get those extra years. Not to mention the costs of waiting almost never exceeds the cap later on in the next contract unless its some astronomical jump in production (which is just unrealistic).

Id like a 2-3 year deal for Bratt at ~4-5mil per. Then the kid gets paid in his next year and it likely wont be much more than an extra 2-3 per

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad