GDT: Devils vs. Canadiens - 7:00 PM MSG+2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I would guess Yak gets dropped back to the extra role again. If you sit Lovejoy for him you're looking at a Butcher/Yak pairing, which could be an adventure defensively.

Saint Beaurivage

Jersey Shore
Nov 18, 2017
I don’t feel comfortable with Yak in the lineup if he keeps blowing coverage like he has.

In terms of blowing coverage, Yakolev is not as smart as Lovejoy. I watched Yakolev very closely last night and he seems to be another one of these Russian hockey players that need strong discipline. They can be stubborn. He does have good speed and talent, much more than Lovejoy.

Lovejoy is a weak link in my eyes. I always notice he really gets beat hard when games mean something, like the end of season and playoffs.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Zacha was fantastic. Loved how he played.

I hope he keeps the confidence up. The kid has always had the tools, probably to be a 50-60 pt C who plays great defense...maybe more, we’ll see. It would be great for the team if they can go back to not needing another center.

Quest for Stanley

Dec 12, 2017
Good to see the PP slump end. 2nd unit will be a great compliment. First PP action for Seney and he picks up a helper. Great patience by Seney to settle the play down before hitting Severson with the pass.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
On Zacha's second goal, you could see the difference in play from last month before the demotion to now and the confidence he has been playing with since coming back up.

He turned on the gear as soon as he saw the opening entering the zone and broke straight for the net. I'm not sure we would have seen that last month.

Great on the PK too, glad to see this leg of games for him and hopefully it is something that we can get from him on a more consistent basis.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
On Zacha's second goal, you could see the difference in play from last month before the demotion to now and the confidence he has been playing with since coming back up.

He turned on the gear as soon as he saw the opening entering the zone and broke straight for the net. I'm not sure we would have seen that last month.

Great on the PK too, glad to see this leg of games for him and hopefully it is something that we can get from him on a more consistent basis.
He's always looked like he hesitated in the past. Things are beginning to get instinctual now, it seems.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
He’s shooting 2.3% because his quality of shots have been abysmal, he is rarely getting any good chances. That is not good and will not change if he doesn’t smarten up.

That and he's been a liability in our own zone with failed clears and poor positioning

The hold out really set him back

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
PZ and MarJo had great games.
Hope it continues, we need them to

On the other hand Wood continues to disappoint
He has so much trouble in the defensive zone and he's not a factor with the puck anymore.

Solid win in spite of Kink looking shaky
Hard to believe PZ has twice as many goals as Barzal at the quarter pole. ;)

We need Wood to get it going. Disappointing is probably an understatement at this point.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I wish they still would broadcast the games on WFAN or some real radio station instead of streaming only

Yep, lots of people enjoy games on the radio and don't want to use their phone.

This. There's something nostalgic about listening to AM radio and it's scratchiness for me. I dislike streaming audio. Did however watch on the MSGGo app last night since TV wasn't available.

Reactions: Aethon

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Zacha is the key to rounding out the top 6. MarJo is replaceable. There are plenty of capable LWers that can be plugged into his spot

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Zacha was fantastic. Loved how he played.

If he can keep up that level of play, not saying 2 goals per, but his decision making and drive we’ll have a good shot at making the playoffs. I expect Wood will also be much better in the 2nd half of the season. Most players stink in the beginning when they miss camp.

oxman44

Dec 1, 2015
Hunterdon
So happy for PZ, Ive been holding out hope for him through all the adversity and he looks like hes finally just playing the game and not overthinking about doing the right thing. just getting to his strengths right away. I think weve gotta give the staff down in binghamton some credit too, the stint down there seems to have done wonders for his approach to the game

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
Amazing how hard some people here are on Yak. He has played four NHL games and some people already know how much he sucks. Sure, he has made some mistakes, there was at least one yesterday that was really bad, but others make mistakes too and as an NHL rookie you are simply gonna make a few more of them usually. I have to say I am pretty impressed by how well he played so far and, imho, he is a NHL calibre defenseman that doesn't look out of place at all.

Reactions: Cult of Hynes

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
will take a .923 save % and 2GAA with being shaky and getting the win every day of the week.

goaltending was a non-issue. shouldn't even be brought up especially considering the nature of the second goal.

LULZ

You would be the first person here to call Cory "lucky" after several posts and a disallowed goal.

Reactions: NjDevsRR

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I don’t feel comfortable with Yak in the lineup if he keeps blowing coverage like he has.

Chico waffled him last night saying he needs to learn to NOT chase forwards to the boards, leaving the middle open. Apparently he did that last night and someone beat Kinkaid but it hit crossbar. That's also how the first goal was scored 1 v 0 on Cory the prior game. Chico said, "I dunno if that's okay in the KHL" and I started cracking up.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
LULZ

You would be the first person here to call Cory "lucky" after several posts and a disallowed goal.

dude 0-14-2 this isnt even an argument anymore. its not even about luck. i dont care about cory. hes done.

and i already said i dont care about posts. it just seems ridiculous to say the devils won IN SPITE of kinkaid when 1) they never trailed 2) goaltending had nothing to do with the outcome.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Don’t want to get excited for Zacha until he keeps it up at a sustained pace.

Same. I'm still concerned he'll be nothing better than 3rd-line on a decent team, but it is what it is. At worst case I figure he could be a Pandolfo sort given he's very solid defensively & killing penalties.

Reactions: NJDevils17

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Chico waffled him last night saying he needs to learn to NOT chase forwards to the boards, leaving the middle open. Apparently he did that last night and someone beat Kinkaid but it hit crossbar. That's also how the first goal was scored 1 v 0 on Cory the prior game. Chico said, "I dunno if that's okay in the KHL" and I started cracking up.

That was my main moment of consternation, it happened just after the Habs made it 5-2 and could have easily made it 5-3 as a result

dude 0-14-2 this isnt even an argument anymore. its not even about luck. i dont care about cory. hes done.

and i already said i dont care about posts. it just seems ridiculous to say the devils won IN SPITE of kinkaid when 1) they never trailed 2) goaltending had nothing to do with the outcome.

For someone that doesn't care about Cory you still post enough about him. It'd be nice if you occasionally posted on something other than Cory or Keith, there are eighteen other skaters out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad