GDT: Devils vs Bruins and Canadiens - Preseason - 7:00 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I’m very pumped about how good Gusev looked. All I knew from him was watching highlight videos and him at the world championships and was sceptical if his game would translate and carry over to the nhl game and style. So far he looks very good to me and well worth what we traded to get him and worth his cap hit.
I was afraid that even though he is very skilled , that his skill set would not translate that well to the North American game but .... looks sexy to me so far .

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Wood and Coleman both generally play left but if they're together I'm definitely going with Coleman on the right. Wood has negative puck skills and shouldn't be on his off side

Wood played on his off side for very long stretches last season. I agree he shouldn't be there but he at least managed to be break-even with Coleman and Zajac doing that.

danito

Apr 10, 2015
Is it just me or does gusev look bigger and faster than what people describe him of being
He definitely doesn't look slow, but I wouldn't call him fast either. Kinda plays similar to Bratt, very patient and smart with puck just more talented

Reactions: glenwo2

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
You know it's official.....and inevitable now :

For those who don't like this song, may I suggest you invest in some ear plugs if you go to the games in person?

Otherwise, it's FUN times for the LIVE Crowd that would look and sound GOOD and FUN on TV! :)

You would have to pay me to wave my hands from side to side and yell heyyyyy hooooo.

I also never said I liked fun.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Is it just me or does gusev look bigger and faster than what people describe him of being

For his skating I think people were really exaggerating. I remember hearing that he wasn't a burner or anything but he was still a good skater and it seemed like some people were acting like he was a below average skater

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
For his skating I think people were really exaggerating. I remember hearing that he wasn't a burner or anything but he was still a good skater and it seemed like some people were acting like he was a below average skater

Yes, or people playing it down so opponent organizations don't snatch him up.

Guy has a toolset that should work well in this size rink. Maybe in bigger rink that lack of burner speed stands out more.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
He definitely doesn't look slow, but I wouldn't call him fast either. Kinda plays similar to Bratt, very patient and smart with puck just more talented

I think Gusev and Bratt have the opposite strengths in skating from the little video I watched of Gusev.

Bratt’s skating strength is his first 2 steps and Gusev’s strength is when he is up to speed and gliding.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
You would have to pay me to wave my hands from side to side and yell heyyyyy hooooo.

I also never said I liked fun.

Well, if this wins then i guess you can just sit in your seat like an old curmudgeon. No one is forcing you to waive your hands you can sit there and clap. Just like no one makes anyone say "You Suck" or chant the "Rangers Suck" or force you to do the floss on the jumbotron.

Reactions: glenwo2

pulkit1989

Nov 16, 2011
Hall-Hischier-Palmieri
Gusev-Hughes-Zacha
Bratt-Zajac-simmonds
Wood-Coleman-hayden

I personally prefer having zacha with goose and Hughes instead of simmonds
I dont know man.. I think ..
Hall-Hischier-Bratt
Gusev-hughes-Palmeiri
Coleman-Zacha-Simmonds
Wood-Zajac-Hayden

might do wonders... Skilled, checking, grit all there

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Wood and Coleman both generally play left but if they're together I'm definitely going with Coleman on the right. Wood has negative puck skills and shouldn't be on his off side

You guys gotta lay off Wood. He had some jump and a breakaway, and he's a big body that bangs into things. There seems to be a whole segment of ex-Clarkson haters that need to punish the guy with the mop out there in his hands.

We've got a plethora of super-reedy, somewhat tiny guys who could potentially disappear during the post-season. Let Wood and Simmonds take some of the lumber and heat away from those guys.

Can't compare a Lamborghini and a dump truck. But a dump truck comes in handy sometimes.

Reactions: Ronnie Bass

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I dont know man.. I think ..
Hall-Hischier-Bratt
Gusev-hughes-Palmeiri
Coleman-Zacha-Simmonds
Wood-Zajac-Hayden

might do wonders... Skilled, checking, grit all there

I'm gonna go:
Hall - Hischier - Palms
Gusev - Hughes - Bratt
Wood - Zajac - Coleman
Boqvist - Zacha - Simmonds

Playing time for 2nd/3rd/4th line varies by opponent and usage.
Edit: and as soon as I type this.... switch Bratt and Palms. no, switch them back... err...

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Well, if this wins then i guess you can just sit in your seat like an old curmudgeon. No one is forcing you to waive your hands you can sit there and clap. Just like no one makes anyone say "You Suck" or chant the "Rangers Suck" or force you to do the floss on the jumbotron.

I'm still holding out false hope that it doesn't win.

Speaking off I heard new verses to the Rangers suck chant I've never heard before. It's basically become a short pagrapah now, never heard the Kanes part before. It's gotten pretty ridiculous now.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
the devils definitely have a playoff roster. I think how good hughes/gusev end up being will just determine how far they get in the playoffs xD (assuming no major injuries)

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
You guys gotta lay off Wood. He had some jump and a breakaway, and he's a big body that bangs into things. There seems to be a whole segment of ex-Clarkson haters that need to punish the guy with the mop out there in his hands.

We've got a plethora of super-reedy, somewhat tiny guys who could potentially disappear during the post-season. Let Wood and Simmonds take some of the lumber and heat away from those guys.

Can't compare a Lamborghini and a dump truck. But a dump truck comes in handy sometimes.

Wood is good at what he does but I don't think how he plays and his skill set is suited on his off wing. Coleman fits that better

Reactions: billingtons ghost

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Was listening to NHL on XM on the way home and they were playing an interview with Hughes earlier today. When asked about playing with Gusev, a mention was made of playing some give and go. Well? :thumbu:

On a side note - at least Wood didn't run the goalie tonight. Still, just speed.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey

THIS. When Wood plays well, the Devils play well. I can't understand how some don't see his value to this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad