GDT: Devils vs Bruins and Canadiens - Preseason - 7:00 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I really think it’s not as complicated as we think it may be. If Boqvist keeps this level of play up, roll with

Hall-Hischier-Palmieri
Gusev-Hughes-Simmonds
Boqvist-Zajac-Bratt
Wood-Zacha-Coleman

If we’re talking about rolling the 12 best players, this completely allows us to roll 4 lines with no issue.

Weird having your best player on the 3rd line ;)

Seriously though, I'm fine with these lines. I think there's a lot of flexibility other than you probably want to keep that top line together and Hughes with Gusev. I actually think Wood can work on that line and he just didn't have a great game last night, I think he can play better than that, but Simmonds or Bratt or even Zajac, Coleman, or Zacha would be fine (assuming Zacha picks up where he left off last season).

Reactions: glenwo2

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
The B-Squad in Montreal should of won that game. They just had bad luck. Goal called off, and rang a few off the post. It didn’t help that Officiating for both games was quality. With that in mind..Wow!

If it wasn’t for the 5mil, I would say Simmonds spot is in doubt. I used to love Simmonds in his heyday but this team has has very little use for him if he can’t produce. Lower body injuries are also a concern. Furthermore, Bratt was probably the best player 2/3 of the game. McLeod has looked great. Where do you put Simmonds?

Hall-13-Palms/Bratt
Gusev-Hughes-Bratt/Palms
Coleman-Zajac-(Simmonds/Boqvist)
Woods-Zacha (Simmonds/Boqvist/McLeod/Hayden

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
So he looked strong on his skates and solid in the defensive zone? I mean the Bruins rarely touched him but I don’t know he looked how I expected him to look
Why would anyone expect him to look strong on his skates or good defensively? He probably won’t ever be and that doesn’t matter because his offense is elite.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don’t actually think money per se will be a factor with Simmonds cause it’s a one year deal and they benched/made Cory disappear for the better part of 2019 with a lot more money on his deal. But I do think Simmonds will get a lot more chances than people want cause they just flat out need a guy with his toolbox to complement the small skill guys.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I don’t actually think money per se will be a factor with Simmonds cause it’s a one year deal and they benched/made Cory disappear for the better part of 2019 with a lot more money on his deal. But I do think Simmonds will get a lot more chances than people want cause they just flat out need a guy with his toolbox to complement the small skill guys.

I'm fine with him getting an extended look, not so much because of the $5 million but more because we are a small, young team, and Simmonds is a vet with some size. That said, we clearly have options, and he'll need to really produce to keep his spot.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
seriously. some are expecting Crosby right off the bat. If we everything people are hoping, he'd be the best prospect of the last 20 years.
Even Crosby was horrendous defensively, embarrassing at faceoffs, and falling/diving all over the ice in his rookie year. His offensive game was on another level though.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Simmonds salary is very much just a placeholder for the other extensions they need to sign next year. I think he is a one year only guy (unless Hall leaves), so if he gets passed on the depth chart he gets passed.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Last night I was at the Rock really enjoying watching Hughes, Gusev, the Jespers, PK and more... then I started thinking to myself... this is without Hischier, Palmieri, Hall, Severson, Butcher, Coleman, Simmonds,.... damn I'm excited.

^ THIS. :thumbu:

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
PK Subban didn’t look extremely great out there, made a couple brutal turnovers
He was excellent. He had like two turnovers when we was trying to do too much. That’s what happens when you push the pace of play. His skating looked way better than last year which was one of my concerns from watching the handful of Preds games I caught last year. I loved his play and it’s very encouraging that he seems to be clicking with Vatanen.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
what you have to like about subban is that, while some may see it as showboating, you could also see it as someone who truly loves playing the game and being out there. it may come off as arrogant, but i'll take a guy who loves playing hockey and feels excited when we win than an emotionless robot any day of the week

Reactions: glenwo2

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Just getting to settle in on my thoughts of the game:

- Completely agree with the sentiment that Jesper Bratt was the best player on the ice last night. He looks more confident with the puck than I can recall, even from his early rookie year. I said it earlier, but the Jesper Connection is real. Those two look to be in sync out there already.

- Hughes is so dynamic with the puck, it's so much fun to watch. His first half of the game was a bit quiet but he made the most of his opportunities. I think him and Gusev are going to have a great rapport once they've been given more time to play. Whoever gets to play with them (presumably Simmonds) is going to be the beneficiary of a lot of great passes.

- Boqvist is definitely NHL ready. His skating and his hands are strong enough that he should have no issue competing at the NHL level. I don't think it's a question that he would be one of our 12 best forwards.

- People will blow PK's turnovers out of proportion (it's preseason, he was trying to make something happen), but I thought he had a strong game overall. Yes, the two turnovers that stick out were bad but in terms of his game as a whole, I liked a lot of what he did. That stretch pass to Joey was on the f***ing money. I was in section 3 right behind him, it was a beauty to watch.

- I thought Sami was our best defender across the board, I like the early output from the Sami-PK pairing and how they play together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad