Devils Team Discussion (team/player news and notes) ‎2015 offseason VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
am I the only one that doesn't give a **** whether we get a new 3rd jersey or not? I said the same things under Lou too (even though it would've never happened)

I really don't care either. If I don't like it I simply won't buy one. At the end of the day it's a business and new jerseys are a way for the owners to make money.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I really don't care either. If I don't like it I simply won't buy one. At the end of the day it's a business and new jerseys are a way for the owners to make money.

Looking at the darn thing (assuming it's junk) during games is still an eyesore though...even worse than that orange Mercedes-Benz ad the last year at the CAA :laugh:

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Would I be excited about third jerseys? No, I think most of them are ugly and obvious attempts to grab large chunks of money out of fans. Would I be really upset if a third jersey was made? Beyond my general disgust at third jerseys, no.

I'd rather the Devils not have a third jersey, but if they did, it would probably be fairly low on my list of problems with the team.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
This jersey talk has been making me think. With the Avs going to announce a new third and me guessing it will look like the old Rockie's jersey.

Who right now actually owns the history of the Rockies? Do we still, or did we give it back to the Avs?

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I'm just throwing this out there... I feel Hrabarenka forces Shero to move someone to make room for him and not just as the 7th D.

Last edited:

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I'm just throwing this out there... I feel Hrabarenka forces Shero to move Merrill or someone to make room for him and not just as the 7th D.

Is Hrabarenka more of an offensive defenseman (or am I confusing him with someone else)? Because if he is, I think it would be more likely that Gelinas gets moved than Merrill. At this point, I see Gelinas as more expendable than Merrill.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Is Hrabarenka more of an offensive defenseman (or am I confusing him with someone else)? Because if he is, I think it would be more likely that Gelinas gets moved than Merrill. At this point, I see Gelinas as more expendable than Merrill.

He is more offensive. He wouldn't be the type to replace Merrill.

I don't think anyone in Albany is forcing any moves. Moore's spot isn't a lock and there is still competition for the 7th spot as well.

Shero signing extra guys is him making sure we have organizational depth. No idea who is going to get hurt. Who might just be a mess or fail. Need depth from juniors, AHL up to the big club.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
He is more offensive. He wouldn't be the type to replace Merrill.

I don't think anyone in Albany is forcing any moves. Moore's spot isn't a lock and there is still competition for the 7th spot as well.

Shero signing extra guys is him making sure we have organizational depth. No idea who is going to get hurt. Who might just be a mess or fail. Need depth from juniors, AHL up to the big club.

Thanks for the info. We have so many young defensemen that I get afraid I'll confuse them sometimes. :)

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
People are down on Merrill right now but the kid has a higher ceiling then anyone in Albany or anyone we recently signed.

Obviously if the right deal comes along he shouldn't be untouchable, but he is a kid worth developing as he can turn in an anchor on a really good middle pairing

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
People are down on Merrill right now but the kid has a higher ceiling then anyone in Albany or anyone we recently signed.

Obviously if the right deal comes along he shouldn't be untouchable, but he is a kid worth developing as he can turn in an anchor on a really good middle pairing

I dunno if people are down on Merrill or just view him as the most moveable piece that can return something of offensive value.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
This jersey talk has been making me think. With the Avs going to announce a new third and me guessing it will look like the old Rockie's jersey.

Who right now actually owns the history of the Rockies? Do we still, or did we give it back to the Avs?

Pretty sure the Devils would still own anything having to do with the Rockies. Pretty much the same situation with the Jets/Coyotes. The New Jets don't have any old banners or numbers hanging in MTS because those belong to the Coyotes franchise.

For instance If QC were to get a team in the future they wouldn't be able to have anything relating to the old Nordiques because the Avs own that history now.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Pretty sure the Devils would still own anything having to do with the Rockies. Pretty much the same situation with the Jets/Coyotes. The New Jets don't have any old banners or numbers hanging in MTS because those belong to the Coyotes franchise.

For instance If QC were to get a team in the future they wouldn't be able to have anything relating to the old Nordiques because the Avs own that history now.

I know some teams in other leagues have worked out deals to regain their history.

For example in the NBA New Orleans now that they are the Pelicans and Charlatte has taken the Hornets name back. NOLA has made a deal that gives Charlette back its history. And I know some cities do it. Like Seattle still holds the Supersonics history. The Thunder weren't allowed to take it with them and whenever the NBA puts a team back there they reclaim the Supersonics history.

Then of course there is the story with the Browns in the NFL.

Why I was curious if we ever gave the Rockies history back. Was also curious about the Jets too

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
If people realized how good he can become they wouldn't be in such a rush to trade him.

Merrill is someone I view highly as far as potential, I simply mentioned him without much strength behind the person going necessarily being him. I just feel Hrabarenka pushes his way onto the team sooner than later.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Merrill is someone I view highly as far as potential, I simply mentioned him without much strength behind the person going necessarily being him. I just feel Hrabarenka pushes his way onto the team sooner than later.

I agree with you on Hranarenka but I would bet Moore would be the guy he pushes out.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I dunno if people are down on Merrill or just view him as the most moveable piece that can return something of offensive value.

I think it's more of the latter, but I don't think his value is high enough right now to get us any kind of proven forward in return. We'd likely get a similarly unproven forward back. To get a proven top six forward, we'd have to package him with something.

I know I've said it before, but I would hang on to all the kids for at least the next two seasons before trading any of them for a forward (unless there's an offer too good to refuse of course). By then Larsson, Merrill, Severson, Gelinas will all hopefully have 200-300 games under their belts and we should know what they are. I really do believe we could have something special with our defense, and I'd rather not mess with it, at least for the next couple years.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think it's more of the latter, but I don't think his value is high enough right now to get us any kind of proven forward in return. We'd likely get a similarly unproven forward back. To get a proven top six forward, we'd have to package him with something.

I know I've said it before, but I would hang on to all the kids for at least the next two seasons before trading any of them for a forward (unless there's an offer too good to refuse of course). By then Larsson, Merrill, Severson, Gelinas will all hopefully have 200-300 games under their belts and we should know what they are. I really do believe we could have something special with our defense, and I'd rather not mess with it, at least for the next couple years.

I honestly think this is the correct course of action for now. We are going to start seeing if any of our current forward prospects are worth anything, and we got the next few drafts to add quality to the organization. Plus we have the cap room to take advantage of teams that can't pay young guys like with the ducks and Kpalm.

We really just need to be patient.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
In regards to a 3 jersey, I don't think it's necessary. However, I wouldn't mind if they refined the current team jerseys. Minor alterations as in removing the black off the the shoulders and keep red and white. But that's me.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I just really want to see the white/green throwbacks at least once and maybe the red/green ones a couple of more times - matinee games or something. That would feel like a BIG change from past years. See how that goes then maybe stick your toe into the pool for a true alternate third design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad