Devils Team Discussion (team/player news and notes) ‎2015 offseason VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaiMaiShu

Aug 12, 2005
FWIW. gelinas44Here is my new number !!!!!!!! @nhldevils @nhl WHY ? .... 44 was my number for most my carreer .. But was also the number i had in lewiston where it all started, when the nj devils drafted me. #44

per his instagram. No idea how to imbed the link, nor do I know how to quote from the old thread into this new one. I still live in Uncle Lou's time hahah.

liquid1988

Oct 14, 2013
Exit 88 GSPW
30 in 30 for the Devils came out today. They had a list of additions and subtractions and Captain Traffic Cone was on the subtraction list!(57 second mark) Wonder if they know something we don't. Althought I want to hope for the best, they were pretty much spot on with the review of this upcoming season.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
30 in 30 for the Devils came out today. They had a list of additions and subtractions and Captain Traffic Cone was on the subtraction list!(57 second mark) Wonder if they know something we don't.

I hope they do have a tip-off. At this point with his age, I'd consider Sal more addition by subtraction than pure subtraction if he really isn't coming back. Same as Zubrus was addition by subtraction.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Any chance Zacha sees significant minutes next season? I realize no one probably knows the answer to that question but it seems like there is room up top and the Devils need an injection of offense.

Fantasy hockey related.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I hope they do have a tip-off. At this point with his age, I'd consider Sal more addition by subtraction than pure subtraction if he really isn't coming back. Same as Zubrus was addition by subtraction.

I think they are making an educated guess, and its a correct one. Sal's career looks completely over health wise, but even if he wants to play again it won't be here. Just from everything going on it wouldn't make sense for Sal to come back.

Think they are mostly right about us next season. We are still a few years away from being where we want to be, but we should still be more fun to watch and we have reasons to be optimistic long term.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Any chance Zacha sees significant minutes next season? I realize no one probably knows the answer to that question but it seems like there is room up top and the Devils need an injection of offense.

Fantasy hockey related.

There is a chance, but its way to early to tell. He isn't even signed yet, and he has to make it through camp and blow some people away to push himself into major minutes.

They want to give him a chance to prove he can hack it, but they don't want to rush him if he isn't ready.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Nearly everyone on that list is addition by subtraction. Sal, Zubs, Ryder, Havlat, and Clemmer. Better of without all of them.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I must admit that I do like Gelinas changing to number #44.

There is something nostalgic about watching a Devils player wearing #44 with a big slapper - Richer, Souray and now Gelinas

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
FWIW. gelinas44Here is my new number !!!!!!!! @nhldevils @nhl WHY ? .... 44 was my number for most my carreer .. But was also the number i had in lewiston where it all started, when the nj devils drafted me. #44

per his instagram. No idea how to imbed the link, nor do I know how to quote from the old thread into this new one. I still live in Uncle Lou's time hahah.

SPTmaineiacs2P0929.jpg

I meant to look up his junior number a couple days ago when Cordell said he was switching to #24.

Fantasy hockey related.

Right now we're on a ten day countdown to him needing to get signed. Assuming he does sign, there certainly seems to be the opportunity for Zacha to earn a spot on the club after they bought out Zubrus last week. There was a Sarnia STH who mentioned that Zacha did play at RW for them last season and that would be the most pressing need at the moment.

Hypothetically:

Cammalleri-Zajac-Palmieri
Elias-Henrique-Zacha
Matteau-Josefson-Ruutu

I wouldn't expect huge numbers (ie, something close to Sean Monahan's rookie year would be fantastic), but he could get some secondary PP time.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Is it safe to say "Devils Tradition" or the "Devils Way" are phrases that in fact are no longer valid? At least for the time being. I don't see how we can refer to anything from the "Lou Era" and describe our team as such anymore.

Not saying that's a bad thing, but for future discussions we'll have to disregard everything the Devils have done the previous 20+ years, when examining and predicting things that will happen now and in the future.

New Jack City

Dec 28, 2011
SPTmaineiacs2P0929.jpg

I meant to look up his junior number a couple days ago when Cordell said he was switching to #24.

Right now we're on a ten day countdown to him needing to get signed. Assuming he does sign, there certainly seems to be the opportunity for Zacha to earn a spot on the club after they bought out Zubrus last week. There was a Sarnia STH who mentioned that Zacha did play at RW for them last season and that would be the most pressing need at the moment.

Hypothetically:

Cammalleri-Zajac-Palmieri
Elias-Henrique-Zacha
Matteau-Josefson-Ruutu

I wouldn't expect huge numbers (ie, something close to Sean Monahan's rookie year would be fantastic), but he could get some secondary PP time.

that top 9 would at least be fun to watch with the new youth mixed in

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
It got lost in the last thread, but I think it's a pretty safe bet that Moore gets #17 so I wonder what numbers the other players we have will get.

Kalinin -- #40 with Avangard Omsk

Matteau -- #23 in the QMJHL

Boucher and Zacha -- #14 with Sarnia

O'Brien -- #42 with Ottawa and #14 with Hershey last year

Blandisi -- #10 with Barrie

Coleman -- #25 with Miami

Mozik -- #74 with HC Plzen

Hrabarenka -- #81 and #84 in the QMJHL

Helgeson -- #4 for Minnesota so that's irrelevant

Plus some of our current NHL guys

Josefson -- #10 and #11 before coming to North America but he did wear #16 for Sweden in the WC

Merrill -- #24 in college and at the World Juniors he wore #3 or #4, I can't tell.

Severson -- #7 in Kelowna

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
17 is such an ugly number for a defenseman though. It always stuck out to me watching Moore play on the rangers.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I think they are making an educated guess, and its a correct one. Sal's career looks completely over health wise, but even if he wants to play again it won't be here. Just from everything going on it wouldn't make sense for Sal to come back.

Think they are mostly right about us next season. We are still a few years away from being where we want to be, but we should still be more fun to watch and we have reasons to be optimistic long term.

Yeah, I think they were pretty accurate, which is unusual since outside media is rarely accurate about the Devils. I do hope that we could make the playoffs the year after next, though, while they seem to think that playoffs would be further along than that, which I understand, but would find depressing.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Is it safe to say "Devils Tradition" or the "Devils Way" are phrases that in fact are no longer valid? At least for the time being. I don't see how we can refer to anything from the "Lou Era" and describe our team as such anymore.

Not saying that's a bad thing, but for future discussions we'll have to disregard everything the Devils have done the previous 20+ years, when examining and predicting things that will happen now and in the future.

The Devil's way was winning, with a focus on strong defense and goaltending. We haven't been following that for a few years now.

Little things like no high numbers, and not letting the press on the plane is just window dressing Lou stuff. It isn't an identity. The only reason the team has an identity, hell the only reason it still exists is because we won. Obviously Lou's work is the reason we won, and there is Devil's hockey, but that can continue without him (it was always going to because he isn't immortal) if we can get back to contender status.

About the 30 on 30. The one thing that could monkey wrench their prediction is the possibility of a prospect or two surprising and breaking out. There are a few guys that could do that, we shall see.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
I seriously hope they're not considering a 3rd jersey.

But the way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm in denial over the fact it'll happen but I think most of us believe it will. And I like Tom calling out the fact third jerseys are money grabs on Twitter but I think he mistakes why people ask him about it constantly. Most people ask because they DON'T want third jerseys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig