Devils Team Discussion (team/player news and notes) ‎2015 offseason II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sascha Goc

Mar 9, 2014
THe LL haters are just a bit much in that regard. I'm talking the hardcore ones. Let's not let facts and reality get in the way of good rants on their parts.

Really short of Lou taking 20-25 million dollars out of his personal savings and giving it to Zach Parise, I don't know what more he could've done in that situation.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Our financial constraints definitely made it impossible for us to compete with Minnesota's offer in the summer of 2012, but I still think we really lost Parise in the summer of 2011.

You sir are mostly definitely correct. When you can't lock up one of top wingers in the league the sharks will be circling.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Forget that - he needs to go work for the government in intelligence and preventing leaks. Nobody had a dam clue what this conference was about until 4:01pm. In this day in age that is amazing.

Especially with all the different people in our organization, connected to Shero and ones in the Penguins' camp that had to know. That shows the respect/fear people have for Lou.

GhostofKenKlee

Forget that - he needs to go work for the government in intelligence and preventing leaks. Nobody had a dam clue what this conference was about until 4:01pm. In this day in age that is amazing.

Very true, I just made a similar point in another thread. No nhl insider, beat writer or anyone had an inkling of this. Chere and others openly speculated, but no one had details or a heads up.

I think LL found his rat when Chere leaked the name Paul MacLean, that was the end of his sources.

Gentleman of Verona

Famous Ray
Apr 24, 2012
Verona, NJ
Especially with all the different people in our organization, connected to Shero and ones in the Penguins' camp that had to know. That shows the respect/fear people have for Lou.

I actually think people still go along with this Lou stuff mostly for entertainment value at this point. They know that if they can just hold the secret(s) for a few days/weeks, they'll get to come sauntering out with big ****-eating grins on their faces when the announcement is made. It's like a corporate troll-job. :laugh:

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I wonder if we'll be trolling the Pens' system for under the radar players now that Shero knows well.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Which is one of the things I believe soured their fanbase on Shero.

Yeah, though he was in kind of a tough spot. When your team has Crosby and Malkin on it every year, you can conceivably think of every year as a "go for it" year. The window's always open, especially with a mostly strong supporting cast that he did have a hand in assembling.

But he didn't hedge enough, IMO. He completely sold out the future for chances at the cup, and the fact that his idea of "going for it" was trading for Brenden Morrow and Doug Murray is probably one of the biggest and most worrying knocks against him.

It's kind of interesting because the end of his tenure mirrors recent Devils' history in an uncanny way. It wasn't that Shero was terrible at drafting. But he did trade away lots of picks, and the picks he DID have were used on promising defensemen. But when lots of his D picks hit, and none of his forwards did, it left the franchise in a weird limbo where they were a contender, but had to make trades just to keep the forward depth in respectable condition.

So even though they have all of Maatta, Pouliot, Dumoulin, Harrington to look forward to, their depth at F is so bad that Shero had to leverage the future just to keep an average bottom-6 together.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Funny, on Leafs lunch today they had Dano on and were asking if the new management might be interested in Kessel for our 6th. Dano was polite and said Kessel would be a great addition and probably needs change. Watch, all we will hear his how Shero might trade for Kessel. TSN-Toronto really has a hard one in trying to unload Kessel to the Devils for their 6th, pick. I wouldn't mind Kessel for Merril and a second, while the leafs retain at least a million.

Gentleman of Verona

Famous Ray
Apr 24, 2012
Verona, NJ
Yeah, though he was in kind of a tough spot. When your team has Crosby and Malkin on it every year, you can conceivably think of every year as a "go for it" year. The window's always open, especially with a mostly strong supporting cast that he did have a hand in assembling.

But he didn't hedge enough, IMO. He completely sold out the future for chances at the cup, and the fact that his idea of "going for it" was trading for Brenden Morrow and Doug Murray is probably one of the biggest and most worrying knocks against him.

It's kind of interesting because the end of his tenure mirrors recent Devils' history in an uncanny way. It wasn't that Shero was terrible at drafting. But he did trade away lots of picks, and the picks he DID have were used on promising defensemen. But when lots of his D picks hit, and none of his forwards did, it left the franchise in a weird limbo where they were a contender, but had to make trades just to keep the forward depth in respectable condition.

So even though they have all of Maatta, Pouliot, Dumoulin, Harrington to look forward to, their depth at F is so bad that Shero had to leverage the future just to keep an average bottom-6 together.

Yeah, I agree with all of that. I think the "We're ALL IN!!!!" stuff every year probably was dictated by ownership there, though. His hand was most likely forced to a certain extent.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
Funny, on Leafs lunch today they had Dano on and were asking if the new management might be interested in Kessel for our 6th. Dano was polite and said Kessel would be a great addition and probably needs change. Watch, all we will hear his how Shero might trade for Kessel. TSN-Toronto really has a hard one in trying to unload Kessel to the Devils for their 6th, pick. I wouldn't mind Kessel for Merril and a second, while the leafs retain at least a million.

Alex Chiasson, Alex Guptill, Nicolas Paul and a 2015 second round pick was what Spezza got. My attempt at a similar package is Boucher, Matteau, Gelinas, and a 2016 second round pick. I would definitely go through with that deal.

HellOnIce

Jun 28, 2007
Problem is I think Kessel can be had for a bargain given the team probably wants him off the team and would probably rather just move on. Does Kessell hold more cards too in terms of where he can go?

Gentleman of Verona

Famous Ray
Apr 24, 2012
Verona, NJ
Alex Chiasson, Alex Guptill, Nicolas Paul and a 2015 second round pick was what Spezza got. My attempt at a similar package is Boucher, Matteau, Gelinas, and a 2016 second round pick. I would definitely go through with that deal.

I believe the asking price for Doughy Phil on the trade board (and they are indeed desperate to dump him off on the Devils in particular) was like #6 ++, which is a big no no. It was more like JVR for the #6 straight up that seemed generally agreed upon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig