Devils Team Discussion (team/player news and notes) ‎2015 offseason II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
He may have said that but there's no way of knowing if that is the truth or just speculation.

Let's play along with that and say he never said it :rolleyes:

Doesn't really take much to figure out that it was the case if you follow the team close enough and the circumstances surrounding that time period and is only confirmed further by personally hearing it from a former player in this organization for quite some time.

Nothing really too new, just people still want to keep the blinders on and ignore the reality because of their agenda to seek out the Lou's fault narrative there that didn't exist in that situation.

Sascha Goc

Mar 9, 2014

Doesn't really take much to figure out that it was the case if you follow the team close enough and the circumstances surrounding that time period and is only confirmed further by personally hearing it from a former player in this organization for quite some time.

Nothing really too new, just people still want to keep the blinders on and ignore the reality because of their agenda to seek out the Lou's fault narrative there that didn't exist in that situation.

I posted that quote in the Kovalchuk thread because I wasn't sure where to put it lol. I really think that is just common sense that the ownership hindered Parise resigning and extension would have been done long before Parise hit UFA or had the chance to "collude" with Suter had the finances been right at the time. But that goes against the narrative.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
I posted that quote in the Kovalchuk thread because I wasn't sure where to put it lol. I really think that is just common sense that the ownership hindered Parise resigning and extension would have been done long before Parise hit UFA or had the chance to "collude" with Suter had the finances been right at the time. But that goes against the narrative.

During that time period there was a lot was out of Lou's control.

Players weren't getting paid on time and payment after payment was getting deferred, I mean how much more does it need to be spelled out :laugh:

There are a couple of guys that left, not all necessarily names as big as Parise, including him that left for elsewhere with that financial uncertainty in their minds as part of the decision to accept an offer elsewhere.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
During that time period there was a lot was out of Lou's control.

Players weren't getting paid on time and payment after payment was getting deferred, I mean how much more does it need to be spelled out :laugh:

There are a couple of guys that left, not all necessarily names as big as Parise, including him that left for elsewhere with that financial uncertainty in their minds as part of the decision to accept an offer elsewhere.

"Financial uncertainty" is not the same as "they didn't offer me the same thing (or very close) to what Minny did".

When was the last time a team went bankrupt? He would have gotten paid. He chose to leave because he wanted to.

Anyway why are we discussing this again?

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
We lost Parise when we signed him to a 1 year contract extension in the summer of 2011. At the time, media has speculated that Parise was looking for a longer-term deal, but we didn't give him one. Everyone, and I do mean everyone, knew that the 1 year contract extension to UFA was a mistake. Lou knew that too. The only reason to do that was financial constraints.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
"Financial uncertainty" is not the same as "they didn't offer me the same thing (or very close) to what Minny did".

When was the last time a team went bankrupt? He would have gotten paid. He chose to leave because he wanted to.

When did anybody say he wouldn't get paid or that he didn't choose to leave because he wanted to? It's extremely naive to believe the financial situation had a minuscule impact on his decision and when people from the organization are explicitly saying as much how much more do you need?

You'd be able to carry on without issue working for an organization that was as broke as the Titanic and by getting paid on a schedule that was all over the map? You'd be fine knowing that the organization you're working for had to part ways with important employees as a result of being broke and that by parting ways with them the organization would suffer further which would then put them in a deeper hole as it wouldn't likely be as successful?

You have to put yourself in the other person's shoes, think about it from their perspective.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Because Damian Cox said Lou flat admitted 'privately' that financial issues were the reason for Zach's departure.

Drewr15

Jun 30, 2005
New Milford, CT
Just look at what happened and in my opinion you can piece together the financial issue that was missing. Parise got lockout insurance from the Wild in the sense that he got a $20m bonus over two seasons in up front cash - to ensure he got paid regardless of lockout. The Devils I'm sure offered large dollars over time in a long term contract but because of the financial issues going on - there was no way they could match that up front bonus.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Just look at what happened and in my opinion you can piece together the financial issue that was missing. Parise got lockout insurance from the Wild in the sense that he got a $20m bonus over two seasons in up front cash - to ensure he got paid regardless of lockout. The Devils I'm sure offered large dollars over time in a long term contract but because of the financial issues going on - there was no way they could match that up front bonus.
Our financial constraints definitely made it impossible for us to compete with Minnesota's offer in the summer of 2012, but I still think we really lost Parise in the summer of 2011.

Sascha Goc

Mar 9, 2014

I was just about to post this. I just took a look at the structuring of his contract and he got 25 million in signing bonuses over his first three seasons in addition to his salary. The Devils could have put together something similar in term and salary but there is no chance they had the immediate cash flow to dish out 25 million in signing bonuses.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
Because Damian Cox said Lou flat admitted 'privately' that financial issues were the reason for Zach's departure.

That could mean anything.

Zach also said that playing with Suter was important to him and we also know anectodally that his GF wanted to go back to Minnesota.

The only thing I would buy (if it even happened) was that maybe he wanted to sign long term the year he got only the one year deal but couldn't because VBK couldn't afford him then. I remember Lou stating that he made Zach a competitive offer when he went UFA and apparently Lou always tells us the truth so why not believe it.

Anyway, if you guys think you have it all figured out and know what happened then you shouldn't be worried about me and what I think.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005

The wild did us a favor actually by giving Parise such a ridiculous contract.

Sascha Goc

Mar 9, 2014
Our financial constraints definitely made it impossible for us to compete with Minnesota's offer in the summer of 2012, but I still think we really lost Parise in the summer of 2011.

I don't think we had the money to do it 2011 either which was the real issue.

Drewr15

Jun 30, 2005
New Milford, CT

I don't disagree but we also don't know if that was a factor in 2011 as well. I think everyone knew a lockout was coming. If Parise and his agent were pushing for those guaranteed bonuses I just don't see how the Devils could have done it. Combine that with the lure of fulfilling his childhood dream of playing home in Minnesota wearing his dad's number, just think those two big factors were to big for the Devils to ever overcome.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
I was just about to post this. I just took a look at the structuring of his contract and he got 25 million in signing bonuses over his first three seasons in addition to his salary. The Devils could have put together something similar in terms and salary but there is no chance they had the immediate cash flow to dish out 25 million in signing bonuses.

That's fine and maybe true. But that isn't exactly a "financial issue", at least not my interpretation of what a "financial issue". To me that connotation means "getting paid much less" not "how the deal is structured". But it does make sense.

Drewr15

Jun 30, 2005
New Milford, CT
That's fine and maybe true. But that isn't exactly a "financial issue", at least not my interpretation of what a "financial issue". To me that connotation means "getting paid much less" not "how the deal is structured". But it does make sense.

You have to remember during lockout - you don't get paid, nor do you get that money back. And after the previous lockout salaries were rolled back and we know the owners tried to do it last time. The guaranteed money would make a huge difference in my opinion as it eliminates those 2 factors.

Sascha Goc

Mar 9, 2014

It's semantics one way or another he probably got an extra 20 million from the Wild that the Devils couldn't give him at the time. If Vanderbeek didn't have his issues who knows how things would've turned out.

The team had to take out a loan from the league just to continue daily operations and couldn't keep up with paying salaries. I doubt the league would've even allowed them to put another 25 million in up front money on the books.

Last edited:

GhostofKenKlee

THe LL haters are just a bit much in that regard. I'm talking the hardcore ones. Let's not let facts and reality get in the way of good rants on their parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad