PA
I can't take anyone seriously that thinks Kopitar isn't a superstar

0.9 PPG for his career and plays elite defense

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Kopitar isn't considered a 'star' the way Patrik Elias wasn't considered a star in his heyday, neither is flamboyant or going to put up huge numbers in their system but they're absolutely top talents in the league.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey

For what it's worth, I'd rather build my team around a Kopitar than an Ovechkin but to me, he's an elite two way forward. He's not a superstar. I don't care to get caught up in semantics, as I said earlier. If others want to consider him a superstar, I'm fine with that.

My main point is I'd rather get a good, two way center and some depth around him than just have one superstar forward. I'd rather have Kopitar and be able to afford Carter than just have Ovechkin. You can only get an Ovechkin at first overall, but you can quite possibly get a Kopitar at sixth overall. That's why I don't think that picking sixth necessarily consigns the Devils to a decade of misery.

If people want to get caught up in semantics and ignore my overall point, I don't particularly care whether or not they respect my opinion. I think I've clarified what I meant enough that it's understandable whether or not people agree with it, and if they want to disagree and still think tanking would guarantee a decade of success, that's their prerogative.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Superstar? What the hell does that even mean? Ticket sales? Like Springsteen? Those are never ending conversations.

Top 10 is something very definitive in my opinion.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Kopitar isn't considered a 'star' the way Patrik Elias wasn't considered a star in his heyday, neither is flamboyant or going to put up huge numbers in their system but they're absolutely top talents in the league.

This is pretty much what I mean, thank you.

You can't win without an elite, two-way center but you also will have a hard time winning without a top tier goalie and a great defenseman (or two). Cup winners have a lot of talent throughout their rosters, so I understand the fascination with getting a number one center for this team, but I don't think that we needed to pick first overall to do that. We can pick sixth overall and achieve that.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Superstar? What the hell does that even mean? Ticket sales? Like Springsteen? Those are never ending conversations.

Top 10 is something very definitive in my opinion.

That's why I didn't want to get caught up with semantics. I think I've made it clear what type of forward should be the bedrock, in my opinion, of a winning team. Whether others consider that guy a superstar or not is no sweat off my back either way.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Just checked, in the last 7 years no Kopitar in the top 10 scoring....I'll look back further now.

EDIT: Just checked further...Kopitar NEVER in the top in scoring.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

but Kopitar DOES put up big numbers. look at his point totals in his career and hes only 27.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
What could we get from Detroit if we were to trade them local Michigan boy John Merrill?

- Could we get Anthony Mantha straight up or maybe Teemu Pulkkinen is we added a 2016 3rd round pick (maybe return Detroit's pick back to them from Zidlicky trade)?

Detroit is loaded with young forward talent (Nyqvist, Mantha, Tatar, Jurco, Pullkinnen, Sheehan) among other lesser knowns.....perhaps a depth trade for depth makes sense?

Those guys haven't really stuck in the NHL yet but Pulkinnen led the AHL in scoring. Merrill is going into his 3rd NHL season but is still so young, cheap and should develop into a nice 2nd pairing d-man.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
What could we get from Detroit if we were to trade them local Michigan boy John Merrill?

- Could we get Anthony Mantha straight up or maybe Teemu Pulkkinen is we added a 2016 3rd round pick (maybe return Detroit's pick back to them from Zidlicky trade)?

Detroit is loaded with young forward talent (Nyqvist, Mantha, Tatar, Jurco, Pullkinnen, Sheehan) among other lesser knowns.....perhaps a depth trade for depth makes sense?

I proposed Merrill for Pulks on the trade board the other day and a few Wings fans said they'd be into it.

DiscoBall

Jul 11, 2013
Stratton (802)

We're not getting Mantha...I would be surprised if we didn't have to add at least a second rounder to get anyone.

After this season, Merrill's value is worse than Detroit real estate. I'd rather keep him and see if he can rebound.

DeVols

#VFL
Jan 31, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Just checked, in the last 7 years no Kopitar in the top 10 scoring....I'll look back further now.

EDIT: Just checked further...Kopitar NEVER in the top in scoring.

Are you saying he isn't a top 10 center in the league because he was not top 10 in scoring?

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I feel like a lot of people are talking past one another due to semantics, so I just want to ask a brief multiple choice question. In the salary cap era, would you prefer to have a) Ovechkin but less money to provide depth at forward and other positions, or b) Kopitar with more money to afford depth at forward and other positions?

This isn't a trick question. I'm genuinely interested in the opinions of others. My answer is b. If your answer is also b, I don't have any argument with you:D If your answer is a, I'd like to hear the reasoning.

DiscoBall

Jul 11, 2013
Stratton (802)
I feel like a lot of people are talking past one another due to semantics, so I just want to ask a brief multiple choice question. In the salary cap era, would you prefer to have a) Ovechkin but less money to provide depth at forward and other positions, or b) Kopitar with more money to afford depth at forward and other positions?

This isn't a trick question. I'm genuinely interested in the opinions of others. My answer is b. If your answer is also b, I don't have any argument with you:D If your answer is a, I'd like to hear the reasoning.

Kopitar and it's not close.

DeVols

#VFL
Jan 31, 2008
Knoxville, TN

I will take the near point per game producing, defensively elite, center all day, every day, and twice on Sunday. B.

C is more valuable than a LW to begin with.

I think that was more of an attempt to see who would rather have the "superstar" wing or the elite two-way center. I could be mistaken, though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad