Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Think the fans boo the team or cheer them after the game ? I can see it go either way . As pissed off as I am about another shit season , I couldnt boo a bunch of kids . If they announced people individually on the other hand , I would boo the shit out of Recchi . I would be tempted to boo Tatar Johnson Zacha but wouldn’t .

• Haha
Reactions: theoptimist

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I personally like Subban and wished we could've seen the old version of him, but still feel ambivalent on the trade. It was a binary bet, just didn't work out and I'd argue he was the wrong kind of defenseman to bring in for a very inexperienced group.

But I couldn't be happier that Foote is finding his game. Skating aside, I think his hockey sense is above most of the guys we've called up this year. Felt the same way about Boqvist early on, despite his tentative play. The AHL is a go-go-go kind of league and sometimes it's like guys are finally where they need to be once they're called up.

Reactions: My3Sons

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
I personally like Subban and wished we could've seen the old version of him, but still feel ambivalent on the trade. It was a binary bet, just didn't work out and I'd argue he was the wrong kind of defenseman to bring in for a very inexperienced group.

But I couldn't be happier that Foote is finding his game. Skating aside, I think his hockey sense is above most of the guys we've called up this year. Felt the same way about Boqvist early on, despite his tentative play. The AHL is a go-go-go kind of league and sometimes it's like guys are finally where they need to be once they're called up.
One thing I will say about Subban is I love the energy he brings to the team. Like the one game Hammond won Subban was the first one to run to Hammond to congratulate him & visibly called the whole team over to celebrate.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Coaches don’t typically go into a season as a lame duck.

Even guys with shaky results get extensions before that. Hynes got an extension in January of the 2018-19 season, Blashill got a two year extension last Spring.

Sometimes they hang on because there’s a team option for another year.

This was Hynes’ last year in his 3 year deal with Nashville but there’s also a team option for another year.

The point of firing Ruff is not because he’s 100% the problem, it’s because he’s up for a multi-year extension right about now.

Fitz can technically let him coach in limbo for a year, treating it as a “development year”, and then look for another coach but I don’t see people on this board would be into that approach or how that helps development since his system goes away when he does. And that doesn’t happen often with coaches because either a guy is the coach of the future or he’s not.

All the coaches I know of without term are or were interim guys, and there are a lot: Brunette (Florida), Woodcroft (Edmonton), St Louis (Montreal), King (Chicago), Lowry (Winnipeg), Yeo (Flyers), Boudreau (Vancouver) and Bowness (Dallas).

Bowness has been the coach since December 2019 and did get a two year extension, so he was basically a lame duck coach. He’ll also be 68 years old in January, so this was probably it.

Boudreau has an option for the next year that both the team & he can agree to or decline.

Reactions: My3Sons

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
Think the fans boo the team or cheer them after the game ? I can see it go either way . As pissed off as I am about another shit season , I couldnt boo a bunch of kids . If they announced people individually on the other hand , I would boo the shit out of Recchi . I would be tempted to boo Tatar Johnson Zacha but wouldn’t .
I'd boo them. Enough of this f***ing shit. I wanted to see any kind of improvement and we're worse than ever. It's not just goaltending, it's a culture.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Yup. Flyers and devils have the same number of ROWs right now, so if they win and we lose they pass us on tiebreak.
Even a shootout win for the Flyers does it too.

If Flyers win in a shootout then the teams have the same ROW. The next tie breaker after ROW is RW and the Flyers are one up there.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I'm pretty sure if the Flyers win and the Devils lose in regulation, the Devils move to the #4 slot and Philly drops to #5. But if you want to be sure, ask @Guttersniped who is the all-knowing oracle.
Many others know. You, a hard scrabble ruffian, could even know by looking at the tie breakers listed underneath the standings on the NHL.com. I even posted a screen shot of them before, but apparently people ignore my very lengthy informative posts. Why do I even bother *sob, run away, more dramatic sobbing*

Anyhoo, the 1st tiebreaker is regulation wins and the Flyers have 20 RW and we have 19 RW. So the Flyers win a tie breaker.

We would have lost that tie breaker with Chicago so not being able to tie them anymore is a good thing for the tank. (The Hawks only have 16 RW.)

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

If Flyers win in a shootout then the teams have the same ROW. The next tie breaker after ROW is RW and the Flyers are one up there.

Nope it’s RW then ROW.

3C0975D4-0666-4344-8AEA-A650D63B3A0B.jpeg

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY

That means Draft Kings has us at +482 to fall below Philly.

They think we're simply too much better than Detroit.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Many others know. You, a hard scrabble ruffian, could even know by looking at the tie breakers listed underneath the standings on the NHL.com. I even posted a screen shot of them before, but apparently people ignore my very lengthy informative posts. Why do I even bother *sob, run away, more dramatic sobbing*

Anyhoo, the 1st tiebreaker is regulation wins and the Flyers have 20 RW and we have 19 RW. So the Flyers win a tie breaker.

We would have lost that tie breaker with Chicago so not being able to tie them anymore is a good thing for the tank. (The Hawks only have 16 RW.)
Maybe I simply enjoy invoking you.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I don't think Lindy is good enough to make a team and I also don't think he's bad enough to break a team. If there's a clear upgrade to make then make it. If there's not then I'm fine with him staying.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I don't think Lindy is good enough to make a team and I also don't think he's bad enough to break a team. If there's a clear upgrade to make then make it. If there's not then I'm fine with him staying.
I know it isn't going to happen but I desperately want Gronborg here despite many ppl telling me I'm an idiot.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Flyers are at home so that’s good . I’m sure they want to win at home in their last game for their fans and should come out hard . But same goes for us . Maybe they dress all of our suck guts fit last home game and we get trampled . Here’s hoping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad