Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Talking more his on ice #'s.

2nd best cf%. 2nd best sf%. 3rd best xGF%. 2nd best xGA/60. 3rd best SA/60.

As a winger he looks like he's pretty solid as a low event defensive fwd.

It's true his individual shots(though a career high here) and points rates at 5v5 are not great, but pretty much in line with Tatar at half the price. Plus you get the versatility in terms of ability to play center, to play on the PK, and more effective on the PP.

Small sample but if you're looking at building a 3rd line his #'s with Boq this year are very good too.

I mean if you are looking to judge Zacha this year on how he played 3-4 years ago, then maybe you'll have a different take, but if you look at his #s from just this year, and the #'s were always something the critics liked to point to, then he's been pretty good.

I’m happy that Zacha’s defensive numbers improved, they had been truly god awful in the past and that was a big problem I had with him.

I wouldn’t call him a defensive forward because of this. Individual defensive numbers can fluctuate, they have to be insanely good and/or longer history of it before I start tossing that term around.

His individual shot creation took a step forward last season and it’s slightly better this season. So to keep that up while improving his defensive play shows growth for sure.

The elephant in the room, and why everyone is down on him, is his shooting %. He’s still not high volume shooter so it needs to better for him to not drive everyone crazy.

It’s 8.08% now with 8 5v5 goals, it was at 7.3% before he scored last game.

1B67A134-EBE3-4ED1-AD15-46ECF58600BC.jpeg

My dream pre-season here was he got that shooting % up to at least ~11% and was more focused on a scoring role so he got even more pucks on net 5v5.

E7A6F34B-69D5-4C8C-AB24-B63CB65F11A7.jpeg

The other problem is he’s not shot as poorly on the power play in years but he’s in good company as just about everyone other than Hughes took it in the shorts on the disaster that is our PP this season. I was counting on more PP production from him (and everyone lol).*

The burst of offense everyone remembers from the end of 2019-20 came from assisting on Bratt’s goals scores at every strength and scoring on a white hot PP that was rolling with Gusev. In the last 20 games the PP had a 28% success rate. Zacha also had two shorties in 8 days at the end of the season (and 2 SH assists that season, his typical ludicrous shorthanded production was lost with his PK time).

He also just went through a huge late season dry spell and the most productive part of his season was in October and that included a good burst of PP production (with a fully functional Hamilton scoring with him on most of those goals).

I keep bringing this up but Zacha might go because he wants to and we aren’t going to offer him a contract that would change his mind. He has the same agent as Josh Anderson who filed for arbitration and said he would only accept a 1 year deal or 7 year deal (and that worked). I don’t see us getting some cheap bargain bridge deal here. I think his agent wants to test the trade and/or UFA waters sooner than later.

And if you look at this at as a neutral perspective, a change of scenery probably would do him good. Yes, that means he could do better on a new team, that happens.

*It was 28th/14.2%/ Net 11.0%/0.39 PP G/GP last season vs 28th/15.8%/ Net 9.5%/0.44 PP G/GP this season.

Last edited:

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I’m happy that Zacha’s defensive numbers improved, they had been truly god awful in the past and that was a big problem I had with him.

I wouldn’t call him a defensive forward because of this. Individual defensive numbers can fluctuate, they have to be insanely good and/or longer history of it before I start tossing that term around.

His individual shot creation took a step forward last season and it’s slightly better this season. So to keep that up while improving his defensive play shows growth for sure.

The elephant in the room, and why everyone is down on him, is his shooting %. He’s still not high volume shooter so it needs to better for him to not drive everyone crazy.

It’s 8.08% now with 8 5v5 goals, it was at 7.3% before he scored last game.

View attachment 537085

My dream pre-season here was he got that shooting % up to at least ~11% and was more focused on a scoring role so he got even more pucks on net 5v5.

View attachment 537087

The other problem is he’s not shot as poorly on the power play in years but he’s in good company as just about everyone other than Hughes took it in the shorts on the disaster that is our PP this season. I was counting on more PP production from him (and everyone lol).*

The burst of offense everyone remembers from the end of 2019-20 came from assisting on Bratt’s goals scores at every strength and scoring on a white hot PP that was rolling with Gusev. In the last 20 games the PP had a 28% success rate. Zacha also had two shorties in 8 days at the end of the season (and 2 SH assists that season, his typical ludicrous shorthanded production was lost with his PK time).

He also just went through a huge late season dry spell and the most productive part of the season was in October and that included a good burst of PP production (with a fully functional Hamilton scoring with him on most of those goals).

I keep bringing this up but Zacha might go because he wants to and we aren’t going to offer him a contract that would change his mind. He has the same agent as Josh Anderson who filed for arbitration and said he would only accept a 1 year deal or 7 year deal (and that worked). I don’t see us getting some cheap bargain bridge deal here. I think his agent wants to test the trade and/or UFA waters sooner than later.

And if you look at this at as a neutral perspective, a change of scenery probably would do him good. Yes, that means he could do better on a new team, that happens.

*It was 28th/14.2%/ Net 11.0%/0.39 PP G/GP last season vs 28th/15.8%/ Net 9.5%/0.44 PP G/GP this season.

Crazy he peaked in his first year where he played 1 game. It was all down hill from there

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Crazy he peaked in his first year where he played 1 game. It was all down hill from there
It’s because he has the ability to be very good. He is obviously just missing the consistent drive and endurance to go out and play his best every game. Pro hockey is an absolute grind and there’s lots of talented players who don’t have it in them to go full out balls to the wall every shift and every game. There’s players who aren’t as talented or good of hockey players but have great drive and there motors always going and it makes them a. better player. And then there’s some players who are just so talented and so good that they don’t have to. They can be off but still be really good or one of the best in the league. Certain players that play a certain type of way don’t have yo play all out every shift too.

Reactions: devilsblood

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
It’s because he has the ability to be very good. He is obviously just missing the consistent drive and endurance to go out and play his best every game. Pro hockey is an absolute grind and there’s lots of talented players who don’t have it in them to go full out balls to the wall every shift and every game. There’s players who aren’t as talented or good of hockey players but have great drive and there motors always going and it makes them a. better player. And then there’s some players who are just so talented and so good that they don’t have to. They can be off but still be really good or one of the best in the league. Certain players that play a certain type of way don’t have yo play all out every shift too.

Believe me, you're preaching the choir. I think in terms if raw talent and skills, Zacha could be one of the better players in the league. But he isn't. Whether it's a lack of effort, mental game, whatever it is he just holds himself back.

It's frustrating to watch him because his talent is so clear but he still isn't that good. I think whatever potential he has it clearly isn't going to be reached here. Perhaps a fresh start somewhere else can spark him.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
I do think Boq is a more talented offensive player, but McLeod is doing something different.

I've got them both in my lineup next season.

Great point. Comparing Boqvist and McLeod is comparing apples and oranges. But both have earned spots and should be key contributors next season.

Prefer a line of Boqvist, Kuokkanen and Sharangovich next year.

And not sure what some on here are watching but the combination of McLeod and Bastian gives the Devils the kind of heavy line most winning teams have. Assuming Miles Wood returns healthy that would give next year's coach options that Lindy Ruff never had.

The coaches can sort the rest.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
The Devils will wear custom warm-up jerseys that will be all black with white numbers, letters and crest. The crest will be an all-white, simplified "NJ" logo, while the sides of the body will be trimmed in white stripes. Also, the state of New Jersey will be featured on the shoulders. The jerseys will be auctioned off beginning April 29th through May 8th and will benefit Newark Day Center. Fans can bid on the jerseys at newjerseydevils.com/auction.

Reactions: My3Sons

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
I'm sure there will be a couple GMs out there interested in Zacha with the hope he will be their Elias Lindholm / Sam Bennett. Former top 10 pick who became a decent NHL player, showing occasional flashes of more, who finally turns it on with a change of scenery.

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
The Devils will wear custom warm-up jerseys that will be all black with white numbers, letters and crest. The crest will be an all-white, simplified "NJ" logo, while the sides of the body will be trimmed in white stripes. Also, the state of New Jersey will be featured on the shoulders. The jerseys will be auctioned off beginning April 29th through May 8th and will benefit Newark Day Center. Fans can bid on the jerseys at newjerseydevils.com/auction.

Sounds better than our alternate lmao

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
So NJ goes into the offseason with maybe five or six pieces of a top six. Two excellent centers, one excellent wing, and two good wings. Maybe Holtz grabs the last spot maybe they need to start with one of the leftovers in that spot. They have a plus fourth line of Wood is healthy. Then they have pieces and parts to make up a third line. Maybe Boquist can play 3C. Maybe Tatar and Johnsson return but I’d like to give Zetterlund a chance there as well. On defense they can sign a RD3 and bring back everyone else and see if the young guys push for regular duty. In goal they have a mess. Hopefully they can add a reasonable starter and Blackwood can be the backup heading into camp.

The obvious candidates for trades are Zacha Johnsson Tatar and Smith. Not sure any of them draw much interest.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Johnsson and Tatar would probably have some interest at next year's deadline but I'm not sure how much they'll have this summer. I don't know how many more times Arizona is going to be used as a dumping ground for bad/unwanted contracts by teams. Zacha I could see being in a change of scenery trade for another player in a similar situation. With his contract status I just don't think anybody is going to give us much in return. Smith could be used as a trade chip, but I have a feeling he'll be back. He's still just 22 so I think they'll look at it as more of a sophomore slump and hope he bounces back. I would hope though that the leash is pretty short on him, and he may very well just get forced out by another kid in camp anyway.

Goaltending...I just don't even know. Everything we've tried the last two years has pretty much blown up in our faces. At this point I'm almost convinced that we'll get a goalie and then they'll blow out their knee opening night or contract a flesh eating disease or some other weird ass thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad