Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
I want to say things won’t get worse in net next season and goaltending is voodoo but who the hell am I kidding, really? The goaltending will still suck, the coaches will go nowhere until we’re out of the playoffs in December, they won’t improve the results on the ice, and you can pencil in the Pens and Caps to make the playoffs again because they are immortal.

I’m so sick of this culture of failure, this miasma of gaseous shit surrounding this team.

Reactions: Billdo

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I want to say things won’t get worse in net next season and goaltending is voodoo but who the hell am I kidding, really? The goaltending will still suck, the coaches will go nowhere until we’re out of the playoffs in December, they won’t improve the results on the ice, and you can pencil in the Pens and Caps to make the playoffs again because they are immortal.

I’m so sick of this culture of failure, this miasma of gaseous shit surrounding this team.
Maybe the goaltending will end up half as bad next year which would still be awful but the odds of it being anywhere close to 60+ goals allowed above expected is astronomically low.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I want to say things won’t get worse in net next season and goaltending is voodoo but who the hell am I kidding, really? The goaltending will suck, the coaches will go nowhere, they won’t improve the results on the ice, and you can pencil in the Pens and Caps to make the playoffs again because they are immortal.

It doesn't look good. No obvious upgrades in goal on the horizon, no skaters to look forward to either. Hughes and Gritsyuk are a year away, and Holtz... --long slow whistle--

Zetterlund is a bright spot, but it's not enough.

I could see 2023-2024 being a good year with Hughes, Grits, and whoever we draft this year hopefully all making a big impact at once.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
The shitting on Holtz after 10 NHL games and an awesome AHL season is so premature it's not even funny.

Kid just posted up a 0.5 G/GP season in the AHL in his first pro NA season and we're on here talking as if he's some scrub. I understand the season was shit people but come on.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
I don’t even want the playoffs next year necessarily, I just want improvement in the standings and point totals but I’ve wanted that forever and never got it.
Maybe the goaltending will end up half as bad next year which would still be awful but the odds of it being anywhere close to 60+ goals allowed above expected is astronomically low.
I’ll take the bet that it will.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
The shitting on Holtz after 10 NHL games and an awesome AHL season is so premature it's not even funny.

Kid just posted up a 0.5 G/GP season in the AHL in his first pro NA season and we're on here talking as if he's some scrub. I understand the season was shit people but come on.

Maybe but there is legitimate reason to be very worried. We've seen someone like Boqvist go from awful to serviceable but that took until he was 23 and we need Holtz to be more than serviceable. There needs to be massive improvements in his game

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
The shitting on Holtz after 10 NHL games and an awesome AHL season is so premature it's not even funny. Kid just posted up a 0.5 G/GP season in the AHL in his first pro NA season and we're on here talking as if he's some scrub. I understand the season was shit people but come on.
Same happened after his 10 AHL games last season. That said, Holtz has a lot to work on this summer. Hope he has a better postseason than Stillman.

Reactions: Devs3cups

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

never-tell-me-the-odds-star.gif

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Maybe but there is legitimate reason to be very worried.
Maybe most of you are overreacting. The truth is most likely in the middle.

What I do know is that I'll surely keep on being encouraged with what he's done in his first full pro season instead of basing my thoughts off 10 NHL games at 19.

Is his skating something for him to work on? Absolutely. He did improve on it this season and there's no reason why he won't work on it this off-season.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
I mean he still had 8 pts in his last 10 with 35 shots so it's not like he's been completely neutralized
Holtz has missed the net a lot recently as well. He's never played this many games in a season before.

DeLeo was injured and in Covid protocol after his call up, but his intensity and sense of urgency seems to have been less since then.

I don't know how much Holtz got out of these two games. Not saying he won't play his best in the playoffs, but I'm not sure how much good these two games have done for his confidence.

Reactions: Guttersniped
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad