Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023-24 season part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I highly doubt that if McLeod is player 1, just my read on the matter and how much get shared behind closed doors. If the Melynyk sisters apparently knew enough to banish Formenton...

We don't know what happened with Formenton, but the other players were all with their teams. Obviously the teams did know what we knew, which was that these players were potentially implicated in the incident, and were among the only ones to not issue a public statement denying involvement. If you could blame Fitz for anything, it would be trading for Cal Foote under those circumstances.

Heck, look at the Dube situation, where the team issued a statement that the leave of absence was for mental health reasons, and then had to come out and publicly state that they did not know about the imminent charges. There is no way they would have allowed him cover it as a mental health leave if they had known.

awegrzyn

Jun 17, 2014
If McLead is Player 1, which I don't believe he is, it would mean he shared a room with Formenton. Maybe.
The documentary talks about a guy who on the next day does go onto social media, finds her, contacts her, and threatens her. That could be the second charge for Michael McLead. They are all innocent for a reason. It's all speculation. It's most likely player 1 Dube. Player 2 Foote/Formenton.

John Doe 1 is 1998
John Doe 2 is 1999
IN COURT STATEMENT. The rest is speculation.

The internet made them rapists, but it's not so clear reading what the girl was saying. They did assault her for sure, but not sure it can be proven. It's not a clear case. An objective judge will defend them and require proof.

Last edited:

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Fitz either didn’t ask or he did, and Mike lied or gave what he believed to be an accurate account of what happened that night that isn’t what the woman is saying happened.

I don’t really know what Fitz was supposed to do in this situation. Completely cut ties with a player based on muddy reports of what happened before criminal charges are brought?

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
If McLead is Player 1, which I don't believe he is, it would mean he shared a room with Formenton. Maybe.
The documentary talks about a guy who on the next day does go onto social media, finds her, contacts her, and threatens her. That could be the second charge for Michael McLead. They are all innocent for a reason. It's all speculation. It's most likely player 1 Dube. Player 2 Foote/Formenton.

John Doe 1 is 1998
John Doe 2 is 1999
IN COURT STATEMENT. The rest is speculation.
McLeod was born in 98 pal and charged with two counts.

What is ur obsession with defending this ? Weird hill to die on

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
Window just opening lol hate to see how desperate you will become if it's closing with no cup.....How much and what goalie if it's that easy please inform us....You panic and you do stupid moves goal is multiple cups not a shot at one
You’re not getting to the playoffs without a goalie, genius, let alone multiple cups. It’s not a panic move to address a giant need that makes or breaks the team. You lot can’t wrap your heads around that.

awegrzyn

Jun 17, 2014
I don’t really know what Fitz was supposed to do in this situation.

All 5 names were known in 2018 to H.H. LLP. NHL. HC. Everyone. They should have suspended them until this clears out in 2018. All 8 players.

Not defending him, you are simply illogical. He assaulted her (first count). He tried to cover up/threatened her (count 2 as accessory). Not my fault you are trying to lay 2 same charged onto 1 person. Nothing here points to M.M being Player 1. Could be, but it's not given.

Bcap88

Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
All 5 names were known in 2018 to H.H. LLP. NHL. HC. Everyone. They should have suspended them until this clears out in 2018. All 8 players.

Not defending him, you are simply illogical. He assaulted her (first count). He tried to cover up/threatened her (count 2 as accessory). Not my fault you are trying to lay 2 same charged onto 1 person.
I’m not sure you understand the definition of accessory.

Same charge different subsections to that charge.

Assault would be the original charge
The texting the players and them coming over to commit the assault would be the same charge under a different subsection.

Thus meaning two charges

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Mcleod must have an ego or view himself as untouchable. Dube and Hart got worse this season as the the filing of the charges got closer while Mcleod was having a career year and closing in on a NHL faceoff record.

This is not defending him just that I find it weird as it goes against common sense.

Reactions: hockwresjj

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
We don't know what happened with Formenton, but the other players were all with their teams. Obviously the teams did know what we knew, which was that these players were potentially implicated in the incident, and were among the only ones to not issue a public statement denying involvement. If you could blame Fitz for anything, it would be trading for Cal Foote under those circumstances.

Heck, look at the Dube situation, where the team issued a statement that the leave of absence was for mental health reasons, and then had to come out and publicly state that they did not know about the imminent charges. There is no way they would have allowed him cover it as a mental health leave if they had known.
I'll withhold judgement, and I actually do believe the Flames there. But I struggle to believe the FO didn't know more than we did, and I think the league FOs knew who player 1 was at the very least.

Maybe they chose a strategy of willful ignorance on the matter though...ugh it's all so gross.

Reactions: My3Sons

awegrzyn

Jun 17, 2014
I’m not sure you understand the definition of accessory.

Same charge different subsections to that charge.

Assault would be the original charge
The texting the players and them coming over to commit the assault would be the same charge under a different subsection.

Thus meaning two charges

Your own words: "B. Texted her after the assault and coerced her into dropping the charges". And now you do total 180 when I said the same thing.

You see if B is true, there is no hint anywhere that Player 1 was doing that. Could be, but not given. That's why I said they are innocent for a reason.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
While the players involved in sexual assault need to be punished appropriately, I'd like to see them all get therapy as part of the punishment. They are all young and will likely be returned to society at some point. Apparently the sentencing limits for this crime in Canada do not include life in prison. Beyond just punishing them they need to be treated so they can learn why what they did is wrong and how they must be better people to enjoy the privilege of being part of society. If the only thing they learn from this is don't get caught the potential seed for even worse behavior in the future is planted.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I'll withhold judgement, and I actually do believe the Flames there. But I struggle to believe the FO didn't know more than we did, and I think the league FOs knew who player 1 was at the very least.

Maybe they chose a strategy of willful ignorance on the matter though...ugh it's all so gross.
I’m guess teams had their suspicions, but no firm knowledge. The NHL was investigating, but these things are typically independent investigations where the law firm conducting it doesn’t share information until the final report is delivered.

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
Mcleod must have an ego or view himself as untouchable. Dube and Hart got worse this season as the the filing of the charges got closer while Mcleod was having a career year and closing in on a NHL faceoff record.

This is not defending him just that I find it weird as it goes against common sense.
He’s a hockey player in canada that got drafted in the first round. Hockey Canada tried covering shit up. It’s not a shocker he views himself as such. I lived there for 8 months in Mississauga actually. The girl I was dating a month before we met was assaulted by a hockey player that played junior A for the Bradford Rattlers, a league below the CHL / OHL. He kept hitting on her after the fact and even when he knew we were dating. He was a short back up goalie in a league below the CHL and never had a chance of going pro and he had an inflated ego, as did most of that team given how they were treated.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Or some guys just react differently to knowing their career's about to end, maybe he had a nothing left to lose swagger

Bcap88

Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Your own words: "B. Texted her after the assault and coerced her into dropping the charges". And now you do total 180 when I said the same thing.

You see if B is true, there is no hint anywhere that Player 1 was doing that. Could be, but not given. That's why I said they are innocent for a reason.
You must have missed the OR part in that sentence. A quick google search of Canadien law will help you. Until then you can keep defending McLeod.

Player 1 texted the victim and the victim said in those text that she was ok with having sex with him but wasn’t ok with the other players.

I would recommend you watching the fifth estate documentary on this and reading one night in London on the athletic.

Until the court case is done you can keep ur McLeod jersey hanging up.

Reactions: Darkauron

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Innocent lol...dude just got a SECOND charge. Trying to guess who was player what in leaked court documents is a fool's errand, this is bad no matter what spin you want to try and put on it.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009

It’s unclear what the second charge is. I’ve seen conflicting reports about whether it means that he’s player 1 or if it means he’s the player who didn’t actively participate so he’s being charged due to being a “party” unlike the other 4.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
If McLeod is player 1 then there's no excuse for re-signing him really. He must have been known through the whisper network as being heavily involved at the time, and Fitz was just hoping it wouldn't ever blow up in his face. Signing Foote is the cherry on top to make him look sociopathic frankly.

IDK I have a feeling this whole story is going to make me very disillusioned with the front office as more details come out. The only details we've ever gotten really (right?) is stuff that the players' defense attorneys leaked because they thought it made their client look GOOD and it is disgusting stuff at best

The stuff the prosecution presents is probably going to be explosive. Just kind of disgusted by it right now and it hasn't even really started.

I'm right there. Disgusted all around....

The whole thing is disgusting and then if McLeod is the pinnacle person who started it all / and / or orchestrated the bullying coersion..... doubly trash.

Fitz will have have to go. Re-signing the main guy and a second guy is too much for me. A stain on this organization for a long time.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Innocent lol...dude just got a SECOND charge. Trying to guess who was player what in leaked court documents is a fool's errand, this is bad no matter what spin you want to try and put on it.
Not saying this is the case, but sometimes a lesser charge is added because you worry you can’t get a conviction on the greater charge.

As an example, charging someone with both murder and manslaughter. It lets you lose the murder case but still win the manslaughter case.

I don’t think we have enough information to tell. I would tend to lean towards McLeod is charged twice for doing more bad than the others but it may not be the case.

Bcap88

Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
It’s unclear what the second charge is. I’ve seen conflicting reports about whether it means that he’s player 1 or if it means he’s the player who didn’t actively participate so he’s being charged due to being a “party” unlike the other 4.
He’s charged with same charge as the other 4 along with an additional charge. Police also believe that player one had consensual sex at first and then took part in the unconsensual sex with the group.

Hope this clarifies the second charge.

IMG_1780.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1779.jpeg
    IMG_1779.jpeg
    88.1 KB · Views: 2

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
He’s being charged with both according to the court docs. For sexual assault itself, and for being a party to sexual assault.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I'm right there. Disgusted all around....

The whole thing is disgusting and then if McLeod is the pinnacle person who started it all / and / or orchestrated the bullying coersion..... doubly trash.

Fitz will have have to go. Re-signing the main guy and a second guy is too much for me. A stain on this organization for a long time.
Why do you think he would have any insight or details into what happened? This place is intolerable.

Reactions: HBK27

awegrzyn

Jun 17, 2014
You must have missed the OR part in that sentence. A quick google search of Canadien law will help you. Until then you can keep defending McLeod.

"The fact that he is charged with two counts means he took part in it and either A. Texted to players to come over where the assault continued or B. Texted her after the assault and coerced her into dropping the charges"

Stop. The above says he took part in it AND either A or B. Your B is cover up. 2 counts according to you. Not sure why you even replying. This does not mean he is Player 1. He could be, but does not mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad