Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎PART XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Wow, to each his own but I'm shocked at the Semin hate. I would love to have him here.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
Wow, to each his own but I'm shocked at the Semin hate. I would love to have him here.

He'd be great here. People gotta remember that Jagr and Elias are up there in age and Ryder and Brunner if on the team this year are free agents next year.

Where's the offense going to come from if Jagr and Elias retire next year and both Brunner and Ryder are off the team(which I suspect will happen)?

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
Via TG: Scott Stevens will not be on Devils' coaching staff this season. Lou Lamoriello said it was a "personal, professional" decision.Lamoriello said he hopes Stevens will be back coaching for Devils at some point, but it won't be this season. Tommy Albelin, who has been an assistant in Albany, will take Stevens' place on NHL coaching staff.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Via TG: Scott Stevens will not be on Devils' coaching staff this season. Lou Lamoriello said it was a "personal, professional" decision.Lamoriello said he hopes Stevens will be back coaching for Devils at some point, but it won't be this season. Tommy Albelin, who has been an assistant in Albany, will take Stevens' place on NHL coaching staff.

Interesting. Tommy's been an assistant up here before right? I'm intrigued to see if he has any sort of built up rapport with the young d-men from Albany already.

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA

Gretzky's coaching track record...Personal accomplishment does not translate into great coaching. Also, it's probably nigh impossible to replace Big Bird as a defensive coach. I wonder if Lemaire had any input into this.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
Interesting. Tommy's been an assistant up here before right? I'm intrigued to see if he has any sort of built up rapport with the young d-men from Albany already.

wondering the same thing, how things might be different under him. i think it would be a positive thing (didn't like the job stevens was doing, based on the general consensus of how he ran things), and especially could be good for the young guys who had time with Albelin in Albany. hopefully it helps larsson. the one thing i hope/think is albelin wont have that veteran bias in terms of playing time.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN

Interesting. A bit sudden.

Tommy has plenty of experience to step into that role imo. I'm just curious if this was a purely job-related issue for Scott or something at home needing his attention. I hope he and his family are in good health.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
No knock on Stevens, but I think this will do well for Larsson's play. Took a step back when Stevens came aboard after doing well with Robinson.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
No chance in hell Robinson comes back right?

Larry's back yard currently;

beach-cocktail-wallpapers-hd-wallpaper-desktoplist.jpg

I'd say no. :sarcasm:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I never was Stevens biggest coaching critic on here, but I absolutely didn't care for him. I still think Gelinas seemed to go downhill after Stevens told him to play more physical.

I'm a bigger fan of Tommy Albelin as far as coaching goes. A much bigger fan.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I have to say... I have a weird feeling that Lou is going to package Gelinas, a pick, and a forward (Ryder, Brunner, Ruutu) and try to make a splash. I can't see how Gelinas hasn't signed yet. He's still playing golf every day in Canada as per his Instagram. He played half a season... yeah he looked good, but he has no leverage to negotiate a deal and get a ton of money.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Him waiting as long as he did for a 1 year deal is very telling. No one was kicking their tires.

Yes, but that one year deal was still for 7 million dollars. Seems more like he stood firm on his monetary demands, and ended up having to sacrifice term because of it. Certainly worked out for him in the end.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I have to say... I have a weird feeling that Lou is going to package Gelinas, a pick, and a forward (Ryder, Brunner, Ruutu) and try to make a splash. I can't see how Gelinas hasn't signed yet. He's still playing golf every day in Canada as per his Instagram. He played half a season... yeah he looked good, but he has no leverage to negotiate a deal and get a ton of money.

Lou has no need to rush on Gelinas. This is a huge year for him. He can't afford to miss a huge a chunk of camp/the season and watch his spot get usurped by any number of younger, cheaper players.

Besides, I'm not sure Gelinas, a pick, and any of those forwards would net us much in a trade. Maybe another buy-low Cammalleri-type player?

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Lou has no need to rush on Gelinas. This is a huge year for him. He can't afford to miss a huge a chunk of camp/the season and watch his spot get usurped by any number of younger, cheaper players.

Besides, I'm not sure Gelinas, a pick, and any of those forwards would net us much in a trade. Maybe another buy-low Cammalleri-type player?

I would go Semin. The Canes would absolutely love to Gelinas judging by their group of defensemen. Lou would have to add a nice pick as well.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
Yes, but that one year deal was still for 7 million dollars. Seems more like he stood firm on his monetary demands, and ended up having to sacrifice term because of it. Certainly worked out for him in the end.

Maybe thats true, but if the guy is on the trade block, only after 2 years, its pretty clear there is an issue with this guy. Carolina didn't really improve at all after picking him up. You'd think a player that can put up the points he was on Washington would have a bigger impact.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
With the amount of veterans the Devils have PLUS Lou at the helm, I would trust the team to help almost any player get through character issues.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This has probably been asked thousands of times in this thread, but when does camp officially start?

September 18th I think. Or at least that's the day of physicals. First on ice date might be next Friday the 19th.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Maybe thats true, but if the guy is on the trade block, only after 2 years, its pretty clear there is an issue with this guy. Carolina didn't really improve at all after picking him up. You'd think a player that can put up the points he was on Washington would have a bigger impact.

I wouldn't go that far, he turned Eric Staal back into a top-10 scorer. Carolina's just a sucky team that needs much more than one additional point-per-game forward to be successful. Can't blame Semin for not turning around a team with one or two good defensemen and goaltending issues.

But I still wouldn't be surprised if he's on the block. Ron Francis is probably trying to put his own stamp on the team (a stamp that looks oddly like Connor McDavid).

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
That one silly look he gave the camera in the beginning is more personality that I've seen from him in the entire time he's been here haha. He really is a goofy dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad