Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎PART XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mustangs

Jan 13, 2008
Barrie
What a huge mistake. If there isnt a deal done. I think you can kiss gelinas good bye. Dam agents...this really pisses me off. The back end of nj has the potential to turn into something great...gelinas is part of that...I hope a deal gets done...still got a week...get it done

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Never underestimate an agent with an ax to the grind.

I wasn't too worried about Gelinas before, now I have my doubts.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Lol like Lou is going to lose a negotiation to this guy.....

Gelinas has literally ZERO leverage here.. "Oh im not going to come to camp... "

Lou "Alright Severson, your up"

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
This agent is a child

Seems hes worried about beating Lou more than he is getting a contract for his player

We have other D options, several, so whatevs

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
We'd likely lose Gelinas before Lou gave in to an agent's theatrics.

I'd rather that not happen, though. I'm really intrigued by Gelinas' potential (despite his deficiencies).

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
This agent is a child

Seems hes worried about beating Lou more than he is getting a contract for his player

We have other D options, several, so whatevs

He did lose one of his prized clients to Lou. I remember reading Marty's book where he said Lupien suggested that Marty should demand to be one of the top five highest paid goaltenders and that he should demand a trade if it meant that. Also I remember that Lou refused to work with him and they haven't worked with Lupien client since or at least until Gelinas apparently.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
it always goes so well when the agent starts chirping about the cheapness of the GM to the media...

always.

:facepalm:

I would fire him on the spot after doing that.

The sad part is that a lot of these side antics don't even make it back to the player (unless you have one with the bad habit of reading stories about themselves).
Sometimes they don't even know how badly their getting screwed by their agent's power complex.

Hopefully Gelinas is smart enough to know how a hold out is the worst thing for him. He has no control over where he goes or how long he sits out. He's not a well known name yet to have any real drawing power.
Maybe the best thing he can do for himself is to sign for what he can at the last minute and see what next summer (and some new leverage) can bring. That should be its own set of fun.

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
The Devils have apparently extended tryout invitations to Jeff Halpern and Michal Handzus. Unclear at this point if they will accept.

I find this FW situation really confusing. Honestly don't know what Lou is doing.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Lol like Lou is going to lose a negotiation to this guy.....

Gelinas has literally ZERO leverage here.. "Oh im not going to come to camp... "

Lou "Alright Severson, your up"

Pretty much. And whoever said that Lou might be thinking ahead to Larsson and Merrill's next contracts, that makes a lot of sense.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
The Devils have apparently extended tryout invitations to Jeff Halpern and Michal Handzus. Unclear at this point if they will accept.

I find this FW situation really confusing. Honestly don't know what Lou is doing.

Same thing Vancouver did with Owen Nolan and Marco Sturm: giving the vets a break in preseason. It would make sense with all the old, injury-prone dudes coming to camp.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site

Looks like they might be in line to compete for the 3rd and 4th line center spots. At first I thought Lou didn't have confidence in Josefson but it looks like Gionta is in the same boat.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

"Hey Jeff/Michal, you guys are good at faceoffs. Maybe you can come in for a couple weeks and our guys will get better by osmosis?"

As long as it's tryouts, it's fine.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
Lupien said the reason Gelinas has yet to re-sign so far is simple.

“It’s always money,” Lupien said. “It’s always money and (Lamoriello) loves to play with the power. That’s what everybody knows.”

louie.gif

Son of a......

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Handzus not quite as good in the dot in recent years as I would have thought.

Halpern:
2010-11: 56.9%
2011-12: 58.4%
2012-13: 56.1%
2013-14: 52.7%

Handzus:
2010-11: 51.7%
2011-12: 50.7%
2012-13: 55.6%
2013-14: 49.6%

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
No way to Halpern and Handzus.

Still want Gomez though.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
He did lose one of his prized clients to Lou. I remember reading Marty's book where he said Lupien suggested that Marty should demand to be one of the top five highest paid goaltenders and that he should demand a trade if it meant that. Also I remember that Lou refused to work with him and they haven't worked with Lupien client since or at least until Gelinas apparently.

Fortunately for Marty he was old and mature enough to realize that he was better off moving on from this guy as it would only hurt him

I'm not sure I can say the same for Gelinas who is barely legal to drink and might have his head clouded by this guy

louie.gif

Son of a......

For an agent that's been around for a while, this is amatuer hour

It's about the player and getting him a contract not your ego and quest to get a few extra bucks out of a guy with more power than you'll ever see in your life

A quote like that would only fuel Lou more to stand his ground, that is something you never admit to somebody you are trying to negotiate with - this agent just lost right there with that admission

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
A quote like that would only fuel Lou more to stand his ground, that is something you never admit to somebody you are trying to negotiate with - this agent just lost right there with that admission

I wouldn't discount the possibility that Lupien would welcome an impasse. He might consider it more likely (long term considerations) that he could get a better deal from another GM if he can force Lou's hand.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Lol at this guy thinking Lou will back off and cave. Uncle Lou don't play that. Severson has to be licking his chops right about now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad