Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎PART XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

HobokenIrish

May 3, 2011
Charlotte, NC
I have to say... I have a weird feeling that Lou is going to package Gelinas, a pick, and a forward (Ryder, Brunner, Ruutu) and try to make a splash. I can't see how Gelinas hasn't signed yet. He's still playing golf every day in Canada as per his Instagram. He played half a season... yeah he looked good, but he has no leverage to negotiate a deal and get a ton of money.

TG's comment on Fire and Ice in the Stevens story:

Gelinas' agent just told me simply that the holdup is "money". I will have a blog post up on that shortly.

Written by TG, 9 September 2014 11:18 AM - See more at: http://fireandice.northjersey.com/f...to-replace-him-1.1083686#sthash.wW4UQyqD.dpuf

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 1h
Devils RFA D Eric Gelinas remains unsigned. Lamoriello unsure if he'll be signed before he's due to report for camp next Thursday.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
I had intended to figure out who Gelinas' agent was earlier this summer to see if it was a noted trouble maker... I should have trusted that instinct :laugh:

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
So I guess from this post we got that it's about MONEY and they are asking for less than 1.5 million. If I were Lou, I'd pull the trigger. Under 1.5 is not a lot.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Yeah, this is not going to end well. Lupien used to be Luongo's agent in Vancouver and apparently ran his mouth a lot up there. I can't find a list of his clients, though.

Luongo, Couturier and Bernier (of our CBGB) are his headliners on his agency's site
http://www.sportprospects.ca/players.html

He has history with Lou, though. And agents aren't blessed with the same short memory that their clients often have.

Jersey Man

Mad Dog
Oct 20, 2008
New York, NY
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 3m
Gelinas' agent said there is "no chance" of him attending camp without a deal because, after just 1 NHL season, can't afford the insurance.

Who will blink first?

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 3m
Gelinas' agent said there is "no chance" of him attending camp without a deal because, after just 1 NHL season, can't afford the insurance.

Who will blink first?
Dunno. It's been a long time since Lou played hardball with an RFA like this. I wonder how much money they're fighting about.

njdss4

Mar 7, 2011
Anaheim
I have to say... I have a weird feeling that Lou is going to package Gelinas, a pick, and a forward (Ryder, Brunner, Ruutu) and try to make a splash. I can't see how Gelinas hasn't signed yet. He's still playing golf every day in Canada as per his Instagram. He played half a season... yeah he looked good, but he has no leverage to negotiate a deal and get a ton of money.

Between Gelinas only have 60 career games under his belt, having an agent that Lou most likely doesn't like that's making lots of public statements about money, and the constant rumors and hints that Lou is trying to make a trade... Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Gelinas gets traded now.

I really wanted Gelinas to be a Devil up until this nonsense surfaced. Players who want huge raises with less than one full season in the league tells me he'll bolt as soon as he's a UFA, anyway. Just get some value for him now and move on.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
Between Gelinas only have 60 career games under his belt, having an agent that Lou most likely doesn't like that's making lots of public statements about money, and the constant rumors and hints that Lou is trying to make a trade... Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Gelinas gets traded now.

I really wanted Gelinas to be a Devil up until this nonsense surfaced. Players who want huge raises with less than one full season in the league tells me he'll bolt as soon as he's a UFA, anyway. Just get some value for him now and move on.

If he's not in camp, just opens up room for Severson, Kaberle, that guy from the KHL, and guys in the AHL to get good looks....not good for Gelinas who played 60 games.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey

He's not asking for a huge raise.
Lupien said “we’re not even asking (for) that” (with reference to the $1.5 million to $2 million range he mentioned), but wouldn’t get into the specific numbers being discussed. He seems to be waiting for Lamoriello to make the next move. - See more at: http://fireandice.northjersey.com/f...thout-contract-1.1084061#sthash.TV1RECyX.dpuf

It's not bad character to want more money at all.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
I don't think he'd ask for more than Barrie (2.6) and I think they probably offered close to Larsson's money (900k)

So the gap could be around $1.5 million

Not disturbingly sizable. But you have to be careful with so many other young dmen (who all have the ability to be a lot better than Gelinas) coming up on their next deals within the next year or 2.

Lupien said “we’re not even asking (for) that” (with reference to the $1.5 million to $2 million range he mentioned), but wouldn’t get into the specific numbers being discussed. He seems to be waiting for Lamoriello to make the next move. - See more at: http://fireandice.northjersey.com/f...thout-contract-1.1084061#sthash.TV1RECyX.dpuf

Oh, nevermind.
Maybe it boils down to wanting performance bonuses?

ajdevjet

we got 3
Aug 20, 2013
In your face !

get rid of him now !

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Yeah, this is not going to end well. Lupien used to be Luongo's agent in Vancouver and apparently ran his mouth a lot up there. I can't find a list of his clients, though.

He is the agent Marty fired to do his own deal when he had the contract dispute with Lou back in the day.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Oh, nevermind.
Maybe it boils down to wanting performance bonuses?

I don't think performance bonuses are allowed outside of ELCs and veteran 1 year deals. Lou's probably just trying to keep Gelinas' deal lower knowing that Larsson and Merrill will be using it as a comparable in the near future.

njdss4

Mar 7, 2011
Anaheim
Lupien said “we’re not even asking (for) that†(with reference to the $1.5 million to $2 million range he mentioned), but wouldn’t get into the specific numbers being discussed. He seems to be waiting for Lamoriello to make the next move. - See more at: http://fireandice.northjersey.com/f...thout-contract-1.1084061#sthash.TV1RECyX.dpuf

I guess it depends on our definitions of 'huge'. If he's asking for, say, $1.4M, that would be more than double his NHL salary from last year. That's a pretty huge raise to me, plus it's more than Larsson. I don't think he deserves more than Larsson right now. He may have been great on the PP, but he still has a long way to go on D.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
He is the agent Marty fired to do his own deal when he had the contract dispute with Lou back in the day.

I knew the name sounded familiar.

If they do trade Gelinas it would make sense to have a stop gap veteran in the #6 spot until Severson can take over. Kaberle's chance of making the team just went way up.

njdss4

Mar 7, 2011
Anaheim

Figures! His public quotes about Lou piss me off (via TG, emphasis mine):

Lupien said the reason Gelinas has yet to re-sign so far is simple.

“It’s always money,†Lupien said. “It’s always money and (Lamoriello) loves to play with the power. That’s what everybody knows.â€

What a jerk. You don't say this publicly. Gelinas needs to fire this guy before camp if he cares at all about actually playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad