Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎PART XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
He scored 76 in 77 games. Shared the lead with Selanne who played 84 games. But the best goal scorer that year was Mario who scored 69 goals in 60 games.

I said that is probably the best peak out of all the past Devils, but that season had 14 players score 50+.

The years Kovy was scoring 50+ he was with a group of 5 tops.

The year he won his scoring title he only scored 41 (tied with Iginla and Nash).

I think Kovy career would have been significantly better if he had Jacque as his coach during his peak.

But look at the names/players who were stll very much in there prime when Mogilny did that.... Mogilny was in a league with Gretzky, Lemieux , Hull, Yzerman, Shannahan...and he led the league.

Pretty nuts!

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Mogilny was so fun to watch but as far as goal scoring he can't compete with Kovy.

Kovy has 8 top 10 goals - 4 top 5 goals seasons.
Mogilny has 2 top 5 goal seasons.

Kovy has 5 top 10 point seasons - 2 top 5 point seasons.
Mogilny has 2 top 10 point seasons.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
But look at the names/players who were stll very much in there prime when Mogilny did that.... Mogilny was in a league with Gretzky, Lemieux , Hull, Yzerman, Shannahan...and he led the league.

Pretty nuts!

Not really. Don't get me wrong Mogilny was a great player and had an amazing season. Lemieux wins the goal scoring if he plays 77 games. Gretzky wasn't scoring goals like he was in his early 20s.

Kovy prime years had Crosby and Ovechkin.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
All this talk of oltimers makes me think if you could have one devil from the past in their prime who would it be? For this specific team...

For me Scott Stevens withouta doubt.

I'll second that. Easily the most important player to our team we've ever had on the ice.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Not really. Don't get me wrong Mogilny was a great player and had an amazing season. Lemieux wins the goal scoring if he plays 77 games. Gretzky wasn't scoring goals like he was in his early 20s.

Kovy prime years had Crosby and Ovechkin.

I don't think it hurt that he had Lafontaine centering him for 60 games either..

schoenfeld

2 Way Contract
Dec 10, 2006
All this talk of oltimers makes me think if you could have one devil from the past in their prime who would it be? For this specific team...

For me Scott Stevens withouta doubt.

88 playoffs patrik sundstrom.

ajdevjet

we got 3
Aug 20, 2013
In your face !

Holy flashback ! Broke and still holds the record for most pts in one playoff game I think.

Yep still the record........
On April 22, 1988, Sundstrom set a Stanley Cup playoffs record (since tied by Mario Lemieux) by recording eight points (three goals and five assists) in New Jersey's 10-4 victory over the Washington Capitals in Game 3 of the Patrick Division Final. This broke the previous record of seven points, recorded on three occasions by Wayne Gretzky while with the Edmonton Oilers.

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

He only had 20 points in 18 games...and considering he had 8 points in Round 2 game 3 vs the caps (I was at the Byrne that night with my wife/girlfriend at the time- still have the ticket somewhere). It wasn't a huge run...it was a huge game though.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Jacques Lemaire.

Good answer. I'd go with him or Burns. If I had to choose a player, I would choose Marty in his prime. We definitely need a goal scorer though. I like the Mogilny answer. A prime Elias or Jägr would do wonders.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Definitely have to go with Stevens here as well.

Although the thought of a Parise-Zajac-Jagr line makes me need to change my pants.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
All you guys are missing prime Peter Stastny.

But, honestly - Scott Stevens.

A prime Stastny would be almost impossible for me to disagree with....that was just an incredible and a beautiful person.

Do you know that guy answered every single piece of fan mail he EVER received!!!! It might have have taken him 3 years but he answered every letter and returned every hockey card signed he received

If there wasn't a Gretzky he would've been it....it's a crying shame he never had the opportunity tocompete for a championship. Stastny and his brothers are one of the greatest stories of the NHL.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Good answer. I'd go with him or Burns. If I had to choose a player, I would choose Marty in his prime. We definitely need a goal scorer though. I like the Mogilny answer. A prime Elias or Jägr would do wonders.

I like the Lemaire answer.

Although Pat Burns was a great coach for us, I really don't understand the love-in fest. He inherited a juggernaut and his coaching didn't really stand out above even guys like Schoenfeld.

btw - props for using the umlaut with Jagr - although he's Czech, not German - so I think you have to go with an accent grave there... little apostrophe thing.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Probably at most, one more. He was already 40 and pretty slow at that stage of his career. I think at his age with the new rules, he would have struggled.

He was already slowing down by 2001 and not quite the same player. That 2000 run was just the coup de grace on his career.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
He was already slowing down by 2001 and not quite the same player. That 2000 run was just the coup de grace on his career.

If there was a 2005 season he would've played. We were robbed of Stevens last season. Maybe it was for the best, but that was a player who deserved a proper fair well.... I kind of feel the same about Brodeur. I think Stevens makes Brodeur's end a little more sensitive... in a sense that not give either of these players a grand goodbye would be a shame.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Jacques Lemaire.

Lemaire is just a god.

I've got to be honest, hearing people sing his praises today is almost funny... there was a large portion of time when most devils fans hated him... but we've never seen a more brilliant hockey mind in the organization and we never will.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Lemaire is just a god.

I've got to be honest, hearing people sing his praises today is almost funny... there was a large portion of time when most devils fans hated him... but we've never seen a more brilliant hockey mind in the organization and we never will.

There was a short period of time when I was one of those people. But after just a short time, I realized how stupid I was. The guy is a hockey genius, pure and simple.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Lemaire is just a god.

All you need to do is go back to the thread where he was brought back in 2010 after Sutter left and then look at the reaction when Lou brought him in after firing MacLean to notice the change in appreciation.

I think a lot of people have finally come to realize that it's not necessarily just about the system, but the combination of creating a system/ideology based around getting the best out of the players you have. What he did with that team and the run they went on was nothing short of incredible.

NC107*

In his prime with his attitude to go with this team it is Bobby Holik for me. Nice trip down memory lane.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
I would take Holik.

If we're talking prime years, Bergeron isn't really a better point producer.

Even in his peak, Bobby never scored 70 points or scored 30 goals. Bergeron has done both twice, albeit never at the same time. As for who I would take, I don't know. I watched Holik so I know everything Jim says is true, but Bergeron is such a warrior. It seems like nothing short of death will keep Bergeron off the ice and even then he manages to produce.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Lemaire is just a god.

I watched a documentary on enforcers in the NHL recently called The Last Gladiators. It was a good documentary, it profiled mostly Chris Nilan from the Canadiens. He spoke about how much respect he had for Lemaire who really believed that he could be more than an enforcer and helped him work on his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad