Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎PART XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Okay let's put the brakes on the 'clutch' argument - at least in this thread...this thread's solely for Devils team and player-specific news, discussion, rumors, etc.

<enter crickets>

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
August is the worst month to be a hockey fan. July had free agency and late June has the draft. August has nothing and absolutely blows.

When is the next World Cup of hockey? That used to start in August.:laugh:

theking72

Confucius Ackbar
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
NJ
August can sometimes be fun, like that one time there were pictures of Kovalchuk training in the mountains or something with that other guy who never really made the team. I enjoyed that very much.

devilsrock

Sep 14, 2005
Great Neck, NY
August is the worst month to be a hockey fan. July had free agency and late June has the draft. August has nothing and absolutely blows.

Look at the bright side we only have one month until preseason starts.

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
Once again there are are whispers of Lou having close talks with Cheveldayoff and Jets about some kind of trade. They've been talking all summer. Also could possibly involve Boston in some way, because Chiarelli has been in those same talks in some capacity apparently.

The names that are being mentioned include Wheeler, as Lou has serious interest in him and has had for a long time. Brad Marchand's name keeps popping up to. As far as which players other teams want from NJ, Gelinas is the only I've heard. And I don't like that.

I've said for a very long time, do not trade Gelinas under any circumstances. He's going to be a special d-man in this league, I really believe that.

Don't read too much into it, as there are always talks. But I thought it was interesting to hear an inclination of a third team being involved in some kind of of a trade. You don't see those happen too often. I wonder if anything can be worked out.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Well that could be another obvious reason why Gelinas hasn't signed yet, if they are considering trading him. They'd kind of have to get another d-man back though (either in the trade or sign one of the dreck guys left in FA), I can't picture them handing someone REALLY green like Severson a spot when there's already two other younger d-men in the lineup and he's barely played in the AHL.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Well that could be another obvious reason why Gelinas hasn't signed yet, if they are considering trading him. They'd kind of have to get another d-man back though (either in the trade or sign one of the dreck guys left in FA), I can't picture them handing someone REALLY green like Severson a spot when there's already two other younger d-men in the lineup and he's barely played in the AHL.

If Boston is involved, they're looking to unload a defenseman as well as clear cap space.

Which would make sense if this is a 3 way trade in the making.

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
I would trade Gelinas for Blake Wheeler 100 times out of 100.

Well, yes, straight up I would too.

I just have a feeling we'd probably see some other names involved too.

Talk about some kind of interest in Mark Stuart. I don't know if there's anything to it, maybe because he's played for Boston and now in Winnipeg. It's either Chiarelli that has interest in him or it's Lou. I know Lou has said he likes the D now, but a guy like Stuart could make sense. A veteran, and maybe Salvador's replacement.

Merrills Marauders

Jul 20, 2011
New Jersey

I was coming here to say exactly this. and then I saw

Once again there are are whispers of Lou having close talks with Cheveldayoff and Jets about some kind of trade. They've been talking all summer. Also could possibly involve Boston in some way, because Chiarelli has been in those same talks in some capacity apparently.

The names that are being mentioned include Wheeler, as Lou has serious interest in him and has had for a long time. Brad Marchand's name keeps popping up to. As far as which players other teams want from NJ, Gelinas is the only I've heard. And I don't like that.

I've said for a very long time, do not trade Gelinas under any circumstances. He's going to be a special d-man in this league, I really believe that.

Don't read too much into it, as there are always talks. But I thought it was interesting to hear an inclination of a third team being involved in some kind of of a trade. You don't see those happen too often. I wonder if anything can be worked out.

I'm torn on this. Because while Gelinas could develop into something special in a full season, I also see a scenario where his defensive lapses become commonplace and then we lose some trading value.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
As far as which players other teams want from NJ, Gelinas is the only I've heard. And I don't like that.

I'm in this camp, too. I'm probably one of his harsher critics right now, but I haven't been this excited about watching a prospect's skills come to fruition since Parise was drafted.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Gelinas's floor is probably lower than all our other d-men and his celing's probably higher than any, that's what makes him tough to judge atm.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I like Gelinas, but if we could package him with something to get Wheeler, I wouldn't hesitate to move him. Not that I really buy that rumor anyway. I mean it's the Jets. They seem to be content not doing anything other than drafting.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Gelinas's floor is probably lower than all our other d-men and his celing's probably higher than any, that's what makes him tough to judge atm.

maybe, and I said maybe thats why Lou might entertain offers for him, he's a gamble
while some of our other D prospects are more of a sure-thing, with less up (or down) side

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Chevaldayoff sucks. Winnipeg has been below average for years now, and no changes are even made. They do need to shake it up over there. Or else they'll continue picking around the top 10 every year.

In before a Jets fan tells me "We ain't finishing bottom 10 brah!" Save it. I heard it last year from that pompous bunch, and I wound up being right. I am 85% sure that they'll beat us again both times this year though. #smallvictories!

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto

Do you have a link? Not going to believe something without proof.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Chevaldayoff sucks. Winnipeg has been below average for years now, and no changes are even made. They do need to shake it up over there. Or else they'll continue picking around the top 10 every year.

In before a Jets fan tells me "We ain't finishing bottom 10 brah!" Save it. I heard it last year from that pompous bunch, and I wound up being right. I am 85% sure that they'll beat us again both times this year though. #smallvictories!

yeah...you know thats gonna happen, and probably while they're on a 9 game losing streak too!
but I do think they are gonna shake things up a little to show the fans they're serious about getting "better"

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I like Gelinas, but if we could package him with something to get Wheeler, I wouldn't hesitate to move him. Not that I really buy that rumor anyway. I mean it's the Jets. They seem to be content not doing anything other than drafting.

I actually didn't read your post before I made mine, but yes that's exactly it. That's exactly how that regime has been doing business ever since the move to Winnipeg. Ice a mediocre team year after year, no playoff berths, but hey they sell out every night! I'm sure the fans are happy having a team up there again, but the below mediocrity has gotta be making them absolutely crazy by now

And I'm sorry because I like Pavelec, but something has to be done about the goaltending up there. Pavelec is quite possibly the most athletic goalie in the game, but his goaltending has proven to be ineffective for years now. Too much flopping and never being in position. All the talent in the world, but needs to adjust his game. Chevaldayoff better hope he finds it this year, or he's possibly putting his job on the line with all trust in Pavelec and no insurance policy.

Here's my bold prediction. Chevaldayoff is the first GM casualty this year. Nonis could be if the new guard in Toronto has an easy trigger finger. Snow is a possibility too if they forfeit a top 5-10 pick, but Wang has shown the utmost confidence in him for years now.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Devilswede has posted about an anonymous connection in the organization. You don't have to believe him, but he did discuss how Lou had a real fondness for Ryane Clowe and would try to acquire him somehow. Lou wound up signing him the first chance he got, so I do believe he has some credibility.

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006

Nope, sorry. No link. This is stuff right to my ear. It's not a "source" or anything, just a connection to the org in a way.

Over the years I've reported stuff like Mogilny signing with us as UFA, Kovalchuk's contract numbers before they were known, Devils signing Henrique to a long term deal, Lou's interest in Clowe for a long time before finally getting him last summer etc.

No big stuff or earth shattering, and I don't post rumors. I just share some stuff with you guys here when I do hear something.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Although, if there was a year the Jets wanted to suck, it would probably be this one. They could have a 1-2 punch of McDavid/Eichel and Scheifele up the middle.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Although, if there was a year the Jets wanted to suck, it would probably be this one. They could have a 1-2 punch of McDavid/Eichel and Scheifele up the middle.

More league stuff than Devils news, but I have this feeling that there are a quite a few teams that wanna tank this year.

Not like 83-84 Pens style, but just enough to where they make no moves for the better and just ice a bad team. I think there's a few teams who are fine with sucking for McDavid and Eichel.

Winnipeg could very well be one of those teams. Maybe they wanna play Pavelec 70 games and hope he doesn't make any adjustments to his game.

I think Calgary and Buffalo are without a doubt in the sweepstakes, Edmonton too. Ottawa is another team that I think is all aboard for a craptastic season. They'd make it extremely obvious if they were to trade Bobby Ryan out of there.

I think Vancouver's recent fire sale will put them in there too, despite the Miller signing. If they hadn't dealt all those guys for a bunch of crap, I wouldn't think they were going for the sweepstakes this year.

Florida seems like they're close to being in on it too, but they made minor improvements and Luongo will keep them in enough games where they might miss out. They didn't get any worse at all, but I don't think they got too much better.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Nope, sorry. No link. This is stuff right to my ear. It's not a "source" or anything, just a connection to the org in a way.

Over the years I've reported stuff like Mogilny signing with us as UFA, Kovalchuk's contract numbers before they were known, Devils signing Henrique to a long term deal, Lou's interest in Clowe for a long time before finally getting him last summer etc.

No big stuff or earth shattering, and I don't post rumors. I just share some stuff with you guys here when I do hear something.

I can vouch for him as well.. Has told us all that before it happens. Dead on when he does post it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->