Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎2014-2015 Part XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Some good stuff from TG/Cory

Love it. Cory is definitely a smart man who can see the big picture. We are really lucky to have him in net for what might be the rest of his career and I am so thankful for that. That trade for him at the draft is gonna go down as one of the most important momenta in team history. It will be fun to look back on that trade I'm the years to come. It was most definitely the right move even if guys like Horvat and Domi turn intó fantastic players, which I expect them to be. But having a goalie like him locked up brings so much security to the franchise. It might not look so great around here at the moment but I truly believe that well turn things around much faster than a lot of our pessimistic fans and fans of other teams believe.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
I think when you look at the Devils you see a solid foundation. This isn't a team with out a direction, it's clear that the team is going to be built around Cory, Larsson, Severson and Merrill. Those are the key building blocks going forward and now we have to work about building around them. We already have Greene locked up long term and now we need some forwards to go along with them.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Sharpie is worth it. Getting to watch him every night he's still a beast. He's recovered from his injury and is starting to roll again. IDK if i'd go beyond 2 years but I'd love him here.

Agreed, I would trade for Sharp without question. Plus, he only has two years left on his deal. It's not like you're going to have a 37 year old player with a large cap hit.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Lou: "It's a transition, not a rebuild."

I think he's talking about Bruce Jenner.

:laugh:

I really think we absolutely NEED to get rid of one of Zubrus or Ruutu after this season, the one that we keep stays on the 4th line.

Preferably we keep Ruutu, as I think he could have possibly done better with increased minutes and better linemates. Especially if Matteau has to be up next year. We better hope Matteau is better at offense than those two, or else that's a lot of non offense from 3 forwards and too much of the same kind of player.

Imagine Clowe is stupid enough to keep playing, then we've really got a lot of non offense. I can't imagine Matteau being any worse than Zubrus though. I can't even imagine Clowe after his 108th concussion being any worse than Zubrus. Though he didn't look very good to start this year before he got concussed again.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
Yea, Sharp is the first name that came to mind when I saw that quote from Louis. I'd rather have him than any of the free agent forwards. Probably wouldn't take a whole lot to get him.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
I would love a return to home whites. Hated that change. And a white/green version would be very cool.

The old white Christmas tree jersey is 10x nicer than the red one. It's such a clean look and I'll never understand for the life of me why they haven't worn that jersey during a game.

NJDevilsFan21

Trade Everyone!!
Nov 10, 2006
Agreed, I would trade for Sharp without question. Plus, he only has two years left on his deal. It's not like you're going to have a 37 year old player with a large cap hit.

If Sharp only has two years left (does that include this season?), then yes I'd absolutely like him here. But Sharp alone wouldn't turn this thing around. As much as others probably don't, if we could package Zajac + to TOR for Kessel, I'd maybe go for that depending on what the + is. One bad contract is exchanged for another, and we'd get someone who is a natural goal scorer. He might not be able to play defensively, but neither could Kovy when he came here.

And that's what I think would be the minimum to turn this around. Scoring skill on the level of Sharp + Kessel coming over. That's just to stop being so mediocre, maybe. That's if our defense can continue developing and find a good transition game. That's how bad I think we are. :(

Lou is right though when he says our cap situation is good. We have a lot coming off the cap in the next two seasons... assuming he doesn't bring back any of the dinosaurs.

Last edited:

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I liked the idea of Sharp, until I realized he's another 33 year old we'd be giving up assets for and isn't part of the long-term solution.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
The old white Christmas tree jersey is 10x nicer than the red one. It's such a clean look and I'll never understand for the life of me why they haven't worn that jersey during a game.

Now that we've had success in the red and black we won't change back, but the red, white, and greens are gorgeous and very unique. Our current scheme/jersey is just lumped together with Carolina, Chicago, Ottawa, and even Calgary to a certain extent when they have the red jersey with black logo. When the Devils wore the throwbacks for the Stadium Series, most of the national media was commenting on how beautiful the jerseys looked.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Focus on offensewith high draft picks, no D and bad goaltending and fire your coach super early.

hmmm who does that remind me of?

Surely you can't be talking about Edmonton.

Scrivens, Fasth, and Schultz are good!:sarcasm:

Don't forget Petry and Fayne either.:laugh:

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Lou is so stubborn and stuck in his old ways, he still wants to slog it out and win games 2-1.

I agree that the team is in transition with regards to the defense, we have some nice pieces in place. The forwards on the other hand need to be killed with fire, pissed on, their arms and legs chopped off, spread to the four corners of the earth and buried 500ft down in lead lined, concrete nuclear waste containers so they can never haunt us again. Put Oates and Foligno in there while we're at it.

What really disturbs me in that TG article was that Lou mentioned in detail the whole coaching staff and seems that he's happy and satisfied with them. Seems like he may want them here moving forward. :shakehead:pout:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Lou is so stubborn and stuck in his old ways, he still wants to slog it out and win games 2-1.

I agree that the team is in transition with regards to the defense, we have some nice pieces in place. The forwards on the other hand need to be killed with fire, pissed on, their arms and legs chopped off, spread to the four corners of the earth and buried 500ft down in lead lined, concrete nuclear waste containers so they can never haunt us again. Put Oates and Foligno in there while we're at it.

What really disturbs me in that TG article was that Lou mentioned in detail the whole coaching staff and seems that he's happy and satisfied with them. Seems like he may want them here moving forward. :shakehead:pout:

Loved your explanation of the forwards!:laugh:

Don't worry though bro, we got Black, Kujawhatever, and some other guys I can't think of (I guess my memory loses all credibility for forgetting these superstars).

Black actually looks like a decent prospect at this point, that's pretty sad that he's one of our best too.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Edmonton has drafted defenseman with their first round picks too. Klefbom in 2011 and Nurse in 2013 and they have in the later rounds too.

The guys they drafted with their 1st overall picks were the guys that every team in the league would have picked.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
There's a reason the Devils and Sabres looked disturbingly evenly-matched last night. Schneider's the only thing keeping us from a real shot at McDavid at this point. Also I think we're getting to the point where it's be fair to say Adam Oates is the worst coach in the NHL.

B768D910-F6F9-44C5-95F0-F08226A5E260_zpsio073mvu.png

Oh and look what other team is close to the end of the pack, though still above us.

My new favorite team! Those superstars from Calgary!

Anaheim is near the bottom there too. Such a fantastic coach that Santa Claus guy is.

Columbus is down there as well. Perhaps that's another reason they're having a pretty underwhelming follow up to last season. They weren't very good either. Insane goaltending and a pretty good shooting percentage. I don't think it was Colorado like high though.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
Edmonton has drafted defenseman with their first round picks too. Klefbom in 2011 and Nurse in 2013 and they have in the later rounds too.

The guys they drafted with their 1st overall picks were the guys that every team in the league would have picked.

Of course. They just haven't gotten anything else right the last few years, though Klefbom is coming around.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

yea, this is pretty obvious to me.

he had a quote a couple weeks ago that was something like "who cares how much we score as long as its more than the other team"

sure, in reality thats true. but the mindset you SHOULD have is "we want to score as many goals as possible"

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Of course. They just haven't gotten anything else right the last few years, though Klefbom is coming around.

Klefbom is really good and they'll probably get either a potential number 1 center in this draft or Hanifin. It's not really that bleak for them. Who knows with Lowe he might **** it up.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010

Eh, but Lou says a lot of things and most of the time when it comes to answering questions, he doesn't give you much. He was speaking highly of Pete, what was it a week or two before he got fired? Never, ever, will he throw somebody under the bus publicly, always been that way.

Just because he respects and shows these guys respect doesn't mean he is going to move forward with them. You could be my boss and respect the hell out of me but not think I am the right guy to have around going forward in a different direction.

When he initiaties the conversation/comes out on his own and says something (kinda like Jenner did), then thats when you take what he says more seriously.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I get what you are saying Wingman, he's always operated like that but this time it seemed he was a bit more forthcoming with some info. Nothing groundbreaking though, I'm surprised he even addressed the rebuilding/transition thing.

We know he operates like this but it makes people nuts. Why does it always have to be like it's some highly classified cold war state secret? I know what you're going to say about that I think. :laugh:

NHL Fanatik*

Is Lou sick? Or are the cameras affecting something?

On his left eye there is a huge yellow patch of skin; have I just never noticed this?

Edit: It seems to be around both eyes... da fuq?

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
As for Lou's article with TG, If we had 2 or 3 real good prospects at forward I could accept what he's saying. However, I'm not giving up on them yet but Matty and Boucher don't exactly have me oozing with confidence and it's to early for Quennvile, maybe the new kid Bandish makes some noise. Because I take whatever Lou say's with a grain of salt. No more koolaid until he proves me wrong. How's the saying go: Don't Pee Down my Back and Tell tell me it's Raining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad