Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎2014-2015 Part XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
No reason to start this superearly...let's just close it until the other one gets filled so people aren't commenting on two at once.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I want to see Gelly in tonight no matter what.
Remove Fraser or Harrold.

Also, pair Gomez and Cammy together.

Camille the Eel

Fraser has been playing well. With both Fraser and Larsen the Devils have been much stronger in front of their own net since the change in coaches.

But to Harrold not playing Amen. Nothing against him personally but - if Gelinas is healthy (and maybe he isn't, because he's been scratched a lot) - he creates some offense despite looking lost at times in his own end. And even if you want him not to look lost there, there's no substitute for more game experience.

NJN225

Jul 22, 2013
New York
I dont really mind Fraser playing, it's Harrold that bothers me. Especially when you consider how awful the break outs were last night I think Gellys shot really would've helped open things up a bit.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I don't think any particular player from the 2014 draft has had a special year this year. And I don't see why they are drafting guys like Rehill and Baddock in the late rounds, just go for the home run picks at that point. I'm not demanding late round steals but give yourselves a chance.

Anyway they also don't draft much from Europe either, only Larsson and Mauro Jorg are the europeans they drafted in the past 5 years. That's around 30 picks with only 2 of them being European, so I'm wondering if that's just a coincidence in their draft lists and where they are picking or they are trying to avoid picking guys from Europe.

Last impact forward drafted was Henrique and that was seven years ago. Drafting is a huge problem and I kinda hope for a new scouting staff but I doubt that's going to happen with Lou here.

They are going to waste Schneider's prime years from the current path they are going in which sucks. But it's a fixable situation and hopefully they start building an actual team instead of building a team of UFAs.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I don't think any particular player from the 2014 draft has had a special year this year. And I don't see why they are drafting guys like Rehill and Baddock in the late rounds, just go for the home run picks at that point. I'm not demanding late round steals but give yourselves a chance.
They have been looking for home run picks in the late rounds every year...all of these guys are still hopefuls and all of these guys come from rounds not many NHL players will come out of...

J.D. Dudek 6th round* 152 overall* * * * * * * *

2013 Miles Wood 5th 100 overall
Myles Bell 6th round 160 overall

135 5th round Graham Black
150 5th round Alexander Kerfoot
180 6th round Artur Gavrus
99 4th round Reid Boucher

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
i don't really disagree with much there but I'm saying if they do the 2015 draft like they did the 2014 draft I'll be a bit disappointed.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

I don't really get the fascination with putting Cammy as the third-line center, he's predictably dissapeared since then. Probably an assumption but it comes off like another one of kooky Oates' ideas.

GhostofKenKlee

How are they wasting Cory's Prime years? They are playing the Kinder on Defense and just need a coach that can work with what he has and not so rigid like DeBoer was.

They will be better now and contend for a spot next season. They are 18-22-9 and not as good or as awful. I would venture to say if they made a move earlier they would be better in the coaching department.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
How are they wasting Cory's Prime years? They are playing the Kinder on Defense and just need a coach that can work with what he has and not so rigid like DeBoer was.

They will be better now and contend for a spot next season. They are 18-22-9 and not as good or as awful. I would venture to say if they made a move earlier they would be better in the coaching department.

the forward situation will take a while to fix.

Defense is developing fine with Larsson/Severson, maybe Merrill is just having a bit of a sophomore slump but I think he'll recover considering what we saw his rookie year so I don't really see problems there but the kind of forward group they have will keep them out of contention for a bit. But at least Cory hasn't played that many NHL games yet so maybe he can stay near top 10 for the duration of the contract.

Maybe with the canadian dollar going down they can quality guys from teams that are in a bit of a cap crunch.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It's so hard to project though...I mean on draft day or even a few years down the line. Hell, were coming up on 4 years and we still don't really know what we have in Blake Coleman, Reid Boucher or Blake Pietila from the 2011 draft.

Especially with these late round picks that get drafted out of the US Development program or Highschool then go on to play NCAA hockey like Wood, Kerfoot, Coleman, Dudek or Pietila...You sometimes can't get a real handle on what these players are for 5+ years.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
the forward situation will take a while to fix.

Defense is developing fine with Larsson/Severson, maybe Merrill is just having a bit of a sophomore slump but I think he'll recover considering what we saw his rookie year so I don't really see problems there but the kind of forward group they have will keep them out of contention for a bit. But at least Cory hasn't played that many NHL games yet so maybe he can stay near top 10 for the duration of the contract.

Maybe with the canadian dollar going down they can quality guys from teams that are in a bit of a cap crunch.

merrill will be solid severson solid larsson solid greene solid... gelinas helgeson are anybody's guess how they will turn out... gelinas i think will find his groove but i can see him busting long term..

im excited for steve santini

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Fraser has been playing well. With both Fraser and Larsen the Devils have been much stronger in front of their own net since the change in coaches.

But to Harrold not playing Amen. Nothing against him personally but - if Gelinas is healthy (and maybe he isn't, because he's been scratched a lot) - he creates some offense despite looking lost at times in his own end. And even if you want him not to look lost there, there's no substitute for more game experience.

Come on man, Fraser has been absolutely atrocious. You would think in his 9 games started he would have one game where he's a Corsi Plus player... Oh wait, he hasn't. He's a -48 in 9 games played.

Even Salvador in was positive 5/15 games being a -23 Corsi player in 15 games. It's sad when your worse then Salvadeuce.

Larsson in retrospect is a +2 Corsi player in the games since Stevens has been hired.

Summary, IN NO WAY IS FRASER PLAYING WELL!

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Fraser isn't good but using Corsi for a stay at home defenseman that rarely generates shots, are ALWAYS the last man in the offensive zone and the first one out makes little sense to me.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Ya Gelly in, and JJ more minutes.

We complained about Lars with Pete, and that has changed with the new regime, but the above guys continue to get limited minutes while guys like Zub's and Harrold see more ice time.

Is this not supposed to be an evaluation period?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Fraser did his thing, but I think that tact was only going to pump the team up for so long. Now we are back to looking like a very bad team and Fraser fighting whoever is not going to change that.

Does Fraser's presence keep guys from running our skill guys? Maybe, but aside from the Jagr hit was that ever a real issue?

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Fraser isn't good but using Corsi for a stay at home defenseman that rarely generates shots, are ALWAYS the last man in the offensive zone and the first one out makes little sense to me.

If the job of the Stay at Home defensemen is to get constantly pinned in the d-zone and help Cory increase his save total, then Fraser's doing an excellent job.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

We might be able to squeeze out wins if Corey is playing at an all-star level, but with the forward we have now, this team isn't close to competing.

That's why I still think we should pack this season in, give up on the playoffs, and get a low enough pick to come out with a superstar-caliber player in the draft; someone to build around. The forward prospects don't really look to bleak, in my opinion, if we can acquire at least one surefire offensive guy.

In relatable terms, I think we can do well with a team of Henrique's as long as we have a E. Staal or Getzlaf anchoring the offense. That's what we're truly lacking and none of our prospects look like they will be anything more than second liners or complimentary first liners.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
If the job of the Stay at Home defensemen is to get constantly pinned in the d-zone and help Cory increase his save total, then Fraser's doing an excellent job.

Stay at home D are almost always going to be at the very bottom of their team in any shot based stat. It's more the nature of their role than any kind of statement of playing quality.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Stay at home D are almost always going to be at the very bottom of their team in any shot based stat. It's more the nature of their role than any kind of statement of playing quality.

Understandable, but when your the bottom of the league and putting up worse numbers than Bryce Salvador, then it tells me he's not doing his job properly.

We got guys like Larsson and Greene who are our shutdown defensemen. I don't see why we need a stay at home defensemen to cover 3rd and 4th liners.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Understandable, but when your the bottom of the league and putting up worse numbers than Bryce Salvador, then it tells me he's not doing his job properly.

We got guys like Larsson and Greene who are our shutdown defensemen. I don't see why we need a stay at home defensemen to cover 3rd and 4th liners.

I want a physical guy in the back. I think we lack that and because of that, we have to see Fraser in the lineup. I know he's been injured and bounced around a bit, but Ryan Wilson appeals to me. He's a UFA this year as well.

He's a physical guy and he produces points when he's healthy. If anyone remembers he put a pretty dirty hit on Elias in Colorado a few years ago, almost concussed him. I know he was a point producer in juniors so he's got some playmaking ability. The only problem is he's a lefty which forces either him or Merrill to his offside. As bad as it sounds, the fact that he's injury prone almost appeals to me more, because it gives us an opportunity to play the young guys when inevitably he gets injured.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Even though our record has improved since Pete has been gone this team is worse IMO. We are only in the position we are in terms of getting points outa games because of Cory.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Getting ready to head to The Rock early today to grab dinner at Dino, Mercato or maybe even Fornos.

Supposed to be a full house tonight and I have great seats.

Fired up and I'm expecting a better effort by Red & Black tonight.
Hopeful to witness Devils history too with Patty, fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad