Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎2014-2015 Part XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

schoenfeld

2 Way Contract
Dec 10, 2006
it's a real shame what happened to clowe, healthy he was a hell of a hockey player, one of those dudes you win with.

Camille the Eel

Any guess whether we see Severson again this season? Broken bone usually mends in 6 weeks but with a foot you don't want recurring injuries. At 18 years old he's been rushed. The body is also still growing in a boy that age. My guess is no, he's shut down at this point.

And why bring him back in for a month?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Severson's actually 20, going to be 21 in August. But yeah it almost does seem like they're intentionally taking their sweet time getting him back, or they just dramatically undersold the injury timeline publicly in December.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I'd like Gomez back. Jagr is already outta here, he checked out about a week ago.

Ryder and Havlat can both **** off into retirement, where they belong. I don't see many teams signing them after this year. They can very likely still be traded this year, but I don't see much interest beyond this season. Ryder might get a deal at a million or under for one year, or possibly even need a training camp tryout. Maybe even getting a training camp tryout after turning down 1 year for 1 million because he thinks he's too good for that. Havlat might be Czech bound.

I do like Bernier this year and forgive him for last year, I just don't think he'll do what he's done next year. He probably won't be as bad as he was last year either, I'm expecting somewhere in between. He might even draw interest from other teams after a season like this. Would like him back to be honest, but we have too much deadweight taking up spaces, that we really don't have room. If we can get rid of deadweight like Zubrus and Ruutu (fat chance) then I'd like to bring him back, but I doubt we can get rid of one of them, let alone both. And Matteau HAS to be in the NHL next year because he's no longer waiver exempt.

Tootoo I'll take back if we must have a goonish type player in the lineup. As was already said, he's better than the Boulton's, Barch's, Janssen's, Peters, and other such junk we've signed. He's probably the most skilled enforcerish type player we've had since Jim McKenzie. Asham wasn't too bad either at the time we had him.

Clowe really needs to hang it up. He just shouldn't be doing this anymore.

We need a player like Gomez. He gives a crap, provides valuable feedback at a needed position and would take a 1 year deal to stay most likely. I also love the flexibility that Bernier provides as he can play up and down the line up and could be brought back cheap.

The last thing I want us to do is try and rebuild our forward corp in one off season by giving out 3 year deals to 4 different players and then not have them work out. Bernier and Gomez have been good thus year and are good stop gaps for reasonable dollars

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
it's a real shame what happened to clowe, healthy he was a hell of a hockey player, one of those dudes you win with.

He was damaged goods BEFORE Lou even signed him. That's why Sather walked away. The Clowe signing is a perfect example of a Lou blind spot.

schoenfeld

2 Way Contract
Dec 10, 2006
He was damaged goods BEFORE Lou even signed him. That's why Sather walked away. The Clowe signing is a perfect example of a Lou blind spot.

for the umpteenth time, the contract they gave him was a dice roll that had escape options. you're making it sound like you are personally paying the guys insurance plan out or that it's crippling the teams salary cap.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
for the umpteenth time, the contract they gave him was a dice roll that had escape options. you're making it sound like you are personally paying the guys insurance plan out or that it's crippling the teams salary cap.

A deal that gives a player on a very steep decline with major health problems term and a good amount of money isn't a risk, it's just stupid. That was a terrible contract. It was inexcusable. Clowe was never ever going to live up to that contract even if he didn't get another concussion. Not on this team, and likely not even on a good one. It was an indefensible signing after Lou made a rational and correct decision to walk away from Clarkson.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
A deal that gives a player on a very steep decline with major health problems term and a good amount of money isn't a risk, it's just stupid. That was a terrible contract. It was inexcusable. Clowe was never ever going to live up to that contract even if he didn't get another concussion. Not on this team, and likely not even on a good one. It was an indefensible signing after Lou made a rational and correct decision to walk away from Clarkson.

Signing an older player prone to concussions to a 5 year deal is sheer stupidity. I remember when the deal was posted, I'd say 3 of 4 posters were extremely skeptical.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Signing an older player prone to concussions to a 5 year deal is sheer stupidity. I remember when the deal was posted, I'd say 3 of 4 posters were extremely skeptical.

I was straight up irate. I couldn't believe what an idiotic move that was after making a good one to let Clarkson walk.

On an unrelated note, I think Rupp is my least favorite former Devil of all time. Screw that guy.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
I don't think McLellan is that good. Would take Julien over him any day.

I'm not completely convinced he's a big part of the Sharks problems, but I don't wanna find out by having to test out his next stop on the Devils.

I mean I'd rather have him than Oates for **** sure. If that's the absolute best we can do, so be it.

I'm just not convinced McLellan is as good of a coach as his reputation suggests. I'd like to see either he or Boudreau coach a mediocre team and see if they can still have success, and I don't mean a mediocre team like the Devils either.

I'm a bigger believer In guys like Quenneville and Babcock. They've coached the mediocre teams and have had success. Quenneville won a Jack Adams and got some pretty below average St Louis Blues teams into the playoffs years ago. They never got close to a championship, but they really had no business in the playoffs.

I think McLellan is a great coach. SJS have a enjoyable system that works and he has successfully developed young players. (He is a former Babcock assistant). 2008-14 SJS is ranked #3 in FF% and #5 in GF%. He has been pretty bad in the playoffs, but our problem now is actually getting a team good enough to be in the playoffs.

Player wise his first season he had Vlasic (21) who had his best season in his career. IMO Larsson has the chance to be as good as Vlasic and plays a similar game.

He doesn't seem to have any trouble developing his young players. He helped develop Couture, Pavelski into a star; got a lot of our Demers, Setoguchi, Braun, Hertl , and Irwin.

Last edited:

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I was straight up irate. I couldn't believe what an idiotic move that was after making a good one to let Clarkson walk.

On an unrelated note, I think Rupp is my least favorite former Devil of all time. Screw that guy.

Recently re-watched the clip of him punching Marty in the 2012 playoffs. Guy is a flat out *******.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

Clarkson wasn't just left to walk he chose to not re-sign here and go somewhere else. I've heard he was offered more money here than Toronto offered him but he wanted to go home

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I would bet money we did NOT offer him anything near what Toronto did. If anything we probably offered him Clowe's contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad