Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎2014-2015 Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ
And yet we have n+1 amount of posters on this board saying that coach isnt playing on ice, it's the players. New coach wouldnt change anything. :shakehead

No, this is what people say:

1)Pete is dumb because he doesn't play Larsson

2)Pete is dumb because he doesn't play Gelinas

3)Larsson and Gelinas gets into a perfect combo to turn the puck over into a Bruins goal

4)oh damn, Fire Pete!

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Larsson has been on for two even strength goals and one of them was when Cory let it in off the end boards against Detroit. They obviously should stop playing him tho because you know this team is full of defenseman that never make mistakes.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
No the problem is the lack of accountability from the coach. You can bet that once Merrill is healthy, DeBoer will have that Larsson/Gelinas turnover fresh in his mind and one of them is going to get the healthy scratch treatment.... but Salvador can be on the ice for over 50% of the team's goals against and a guy like Zubrus can stink up the joint night in and night out and they never get reprimanded for it.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
This is when your starting goalie needs a break:

@TGfireandice
Schneider: "I want to play every chance I can get, but Keith deserves to get a shot here at some point, I think."

If Schneider starts tonight, I think that'll be the last straw for me. I love Schneider... but his confidence is shot and he's constantly left out to dry by a lazy team in front of him. He needs a rest.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
No the problem is the lack of accountability from the coach. You can bet that once Merrill is healthy, DeBoer will have that Larsson/Gelinas turnover fresh in his mind and one of them is going to get the healthy scratch treatment.... but Salvador can be on the ice for over 50% of the team's goals against and a guy like Zubrus can stink up the joint night in and night out and they never get reprimanded for it.

It will look bad, but the fans need to let management know... Boo the absolute **** out of the **** that we are witnessing

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
When Merrill comes back, the 2nd pairing should be Merrill-Larsson. Enough of Salvador-Zid getting so many ****ing minutes when they're just a ****en disaster. Rotate Sal, Zid, and Gelinas on the 3rd pairing.

GhostofKenKlee

I dont think ive ever tuned out of so many games like I have this year...

Countless numbers of times I just cant be asked to watch this team and Salvador play 20 minutes per game when he ****ing sucks.. I just dont understand how someone who is on the ice for 54% of all goals scored against us can continue to play.. This is not a coincidence and Im at the point that I dont care at what people think. Boo the **** out of him (and Pete pls)

"You guys keep talking about fatigue...we've only played 14 games."
No Morning Skate.....

No words

There is a union mandate as to how many you can have, plus they play tonight.

GhostofKenKlee

3)Larsson and Gelinas gets into a perfect combo to turn the puck over into a Bruins goal

4)oh damn, Fire Pete!

Sums it up for me. This Raymond Babbit tick certain posters have is funny about how the coach and the players.

DeBoer also said if he does bench Salvador he risks losing the room.

It's obvious that they are letting the kids play on defense and if there were more kids to play upfront they would be playing.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
This is ridiculous. Of course you and others have a problem with losing. And rightly so. No one likes to watch a losing team, because losing teams look disorganized, purposeless, and mentally fragile. There are very few lovable losers.

We currently are losing with a purpose toward tomorrow. People are complaining about Salvador - but the fastest way to have solved that problem would have been to trade for Boychuk or to have signed someone like Gorges so we could have a veteran that would reduce Sal's minutes. That, of course, would have meant demoting Severson or Merrill, or getting rid of Larsson or Gelinas. Instead, the Devils are trying to give the kids minutes. Larsson was directly responsible for two goals last night: first with a silly penalty after he couldn't handle Marchand down low, then when he made a high-risk, low-reward pass to Gelinas. But there's no sense that the Devils are in the market for a veteran d-man ASAP. You can argue that ice time distribution should be shifted in specific situations, but broadly, you can't say that we're playing vets and keeping kids on the bench / in the minors.

Despite the growth of Josefson and Severson, and to a lesser extent, of Gelinas and Larssson, people act as if this Devils team has no future. Why? Because we're not winning right now. I'm happy that people are upset. Who wants to watch a loser? I'm just sad that people believe the answer is more losing (talk about accepting mediocrity), or knee jerk moves (fire everyone!).

The reality is, if Lou and Pete stay, and the Devils lose their next 68 in regulation, you'll have seen a successful tank job. Yet, no one here will have felt good about it. Welcome to the rebuild.

I don't think the defense is the primary issue, aside from Salvador's slide and the occasional misplay. The devils are routinely giving up 30+ shots, which is largely attributable to a lack of puck control and sustaining an offensive push through the neutral zone. You can't win in this league by surrendering the blue line and constantly being hemmed in. The forwards are doing very little to aid the defense and goaltending. And it's almost solely a footspeed issue, an inability to get from point A to point B in the necessary time.

GhostofKenKlee

I don't think the defense is the primary issue, aside from Salvador's slide and the occasional misplay. The devils are routinely giving up 30+ shots, which is largely attributable to a lack of puck control and sustaining an offensive push through the neutral zone. You can't win in this league by surrendering the blue line and constantly being hemmed in. The forwards are doing very little to aid the defense and goaltending. And it's almost solely a footspeed issue, an inability to get from point A to point B in the necessary time.

Yeah, it's not Volchenkov is not back there block a few of those shots a game.

It's funny some forces here that use to say he sucked is sorely missed this season for his play and PK prowess. To an extent Fayne.

So, all the agesist, lets rebuild folks this a byproduct of going youth. Who is the Volchenkov clone on youth we have? I'm all for younger players, but lets not ignore two big problems that are directly traced by to losing two veterans on D. That's not a coincidence at all. Nothing to do with forwards, same players up front. It's just the bias of some of posters here in not acknowledging that Anton was good at the PK.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL

4)oh damn, Fire Pete!

No, that's not what people say.

People say, this coach is a stupid hypocritical jackass because he punishes some players for doing nothing wrong while rewarding other players for doing everything wrong.

Notice how Larsson didn't play after the 2nd goal despite making a tape-to-tape pass that SOMEONE ELSE FLUBBED, while Zids was out there for nearly 25 minutes despite being one of the worst players on the ice?

If you're going to put words in people's mouths at least know what you're talking about.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago

People say, this coach is a stupid hypocritical jackass because he punishes some players for doing nothing wrong while rewarding other players for doing everything wrong.

Notice how Larsson didn't play after the 2nd goal despite making a tape-to-tape pass that SOMEONE ELSE FLUBBED, while Zids was out there for nearly 25 minutes despite being one of the worst players on the ice?

If you're going to put words in people's mouths at least know what you're talking about.

He did play after the 2nd goal, just not a whole lot. And, from eyeballing the shift chart, he didn't play at all in the last 12-15 mins of the game.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Interested to see how long this charade goes on. Does 1 win buy Deboer another few weeks?

I say the Western Canada trip buries him. Maybe they win 1 of the next 3. Maybe. But I could totally see them getting blitzed by the flames, oilers and jets, especially if those teams push the pace. It isn't rocket science to see what the devils lack.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Sums it up for me. This Raymond Babbit tick certain posters have is funny about how the coach and the players.

DeBoer also said if he does bench Salvador he risks losing the room.

It's obvious that they are letting the kids play on defense and if there were more kids to play upfront they would be playing.

Talk about a country club atmosphere for veteran players. They really need a disciplinarian like Pat Burns who enjoys ripping complacent vets a new one.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
To sum up any Devils news this morning:

No morning skate. Havlat skated briefly. No word on goalie or Henrique status.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
Talk about a country club atmosphere for veteran players. They really need a disciplinarian like Pat Burns who enjoys ripping complacent vets a new one.

yep, country club atmosphere is the perfect way to describe the current state of the team.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Of course, its harder to intimidate veteran players when they all have NMCs or NTCs. Remember when NTCs were against Lou's policy way back when?

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ

So many people here refuse to hold Larsson accountable for his play. He was not good last night. Gelinas outplayed him DEFENSIVELY, figure that.

The answer to Zids being out there is incredibly simple. We needed goals and he is a bigger offensive threat.

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ

Agree with this 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad