Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎2014-2015 Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Is it just me or do you think that Kinkaid is a better fit for this chaotic team than say Cory ATM? Kinkaid cut his teeth in Albany and is used to breakdowns and being shelled. I think he may be more mentally prepared than Cory.

ghoti

Grind Time
Sep 18, 2005
He had some anxiety issues with Vancouver? One of the reasons that his puckhandling was also mentioned.
http://canucksarmy.com/2013/1/17/co...-in-chicago-in-2011-was-the-result-of-anxiety
“Physically, we tried everything,†Schneider explained.

“Hydrating. Electrolytes. This and that. I was taking everything known to man and drinking gallons of water before the game. But I could still feel it.

“I realized, it can’t be hydration because I’m on top of that.

“Sometimes, outwardly, you’re not anxious but inside you can be anxious. That anxiety can cause you to tighten up.â€

Schneider had to tweak his mental approach and, over time, re-learned how and when to do something that seems so natural: breathing.

“I tried to do certain things to make sure it never happens again.

Some of it was mental things, and then there was breathing, relaxing I had to do. Things that take your mind off of those trigger points. It was important to overcome and get good at so I don’t have those issues going forward.

I talked a lot to my agent Mike Liut, who has played, and he was the one who first reminded me I have to breathe. You forget to breathe and it can cause you to get tight. Then, you don’t even realize what’s happening until it’s too late.â€

Marty never had an anxious moment in his life.

Undoubtedly the coolest, calmest most unflappable player I've ever seen.

Cory Schneider is a human being. Martin Brodeur was some kind of hockey cyborg.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Seriously zero reason for Sal to play over 18 minutes and Larsson play 12.

18:02 (16:56 ES) was 2nd least minutes. Sal did not take Larsson's time. Everyone else did at over 20 minutes - namely Zidlicky at 24:38 minutes who was on the ice for all of 15 seconds with Severson before allowing a goal on the PK. Brilliant to put him on PK duty though - he's such a shut-down guy and blocks shots so well with his scarecrow impersonation 4 feet wide of the net. Anyone except Zidlicky would be a better option on the PK - even Gelinas.

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20142015/TV020218.HTM

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Actually, DeBoer made a lot of sense in that interview. He basically said veterans get longer rope because they've established themselves in the NHL, while rookies have not so they sit or play limited minutes as a result of their mistakes. It makes sense, until you've established yourself you deserve more scrutiny versus a player who has been in the league for 10, 15 years.

That's just how it works, and most coaches in the NHL use that philosophy. Coaching has nothing to do with NJD's problems, they have a roster with 3 rookies on defense, a goalie who doesn't know how to play as a starter, and a wildly inconsistent offense with slow foot speed. That's why they lose games.

Nailed it, but I'd add that Schneider hasn't been good so far either.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Is it just me or do you think that Kinkaid is a better fit for this chaotic team than say Cory ATM? Kinkaid cut his teeth in Albany and is used to breakdowns and being shelled. I think he may be more mentally prepared than Cory.

absolutely. Cory just needs to get his feet under him. He's struggling - and if he gets a chance to step back and get a breather and maybe a practice in, it'll really help.

Best case scenario: Kincaid plays great, PDB gives him another consecutive start as a reward, and then you come back to a pissed off Schneider who then mimics a brick wall for the rest of the season.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Fifteen games in, and this team is terribad. The numbers don’t lie.

3.2 G/A (25th in league)
64.4% PK (last in league)
21 goals given up on the PK – worst in the league by a country mile (next worst team has given up 13!!)
Corey Schneider – 3.00 GA, .901 Save %
Elias – 1 goal in 15 games (on pace for 6!), -3
Zajac – 2 goals in 15 games (on pace for 11), -3
Brunner – 1 goal in 11 games
Salvador & Zidlicky – both -5 (last on the team)
Severson, a rookie defenseman, leads the team in shots (next best is Ryder and he has 7 less)
No doubt we have issues with our forward group but the coaching has been atrocious as well. A decent AHL squad playing in the NHL could probably produce better PK numbers, and a more potent offense. Pete’s personnel and in-game decisions have become absurd to the point of comical at this point. Leadership IMO opinion has been a serious concern from the day Sal was named captain. This is why you don’t make journeymen players captain – what kind of example are they setting when everytime they step on the ice bad things happen? “Well at least I tried real hard”.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Cory has struggled, and Kink has yet to start an NHL game. That's about where I stand in the current situation of each.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
Where are the Devils in shots against?

They're ****ing awful defensively...just putrid. It's just a bad mix of rookies and old farts.

I miss FAYNE!!!!!! I can still see those dumb comments about "fayne not being needed since there was larsson" LOL ok

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
If this team had the same penalty kill as last year, and the rest of the stats stayed the same as this year, they would actually look ok.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Actually, DeBoer made a lot of sense in that interview. He basically said veterans get longer rope because they've established themselves in the NHL, while rookies have not so they sit or play limited minutes as a result of their mistakes. It makes sense, until you've established yourself you deserve more scrutiny versus a player who has been in the league for 10, 15 years.

That's just how it works, and most coaches in the NHL use that philosophy. Coaching has nothing to do with NJD's problems, they have a roster with 3 rookies on defense, a goalie who doesn't know how to play as a starter, and a wildly inconsistent offense with slow foot speed. That's why they lose games.

1)But don't you eventually get to a point with a veteran, where it is pretty firmly established that he is not good anymore?

And not just Sal, but Zub's, have we looked at this guys stats over the last 60 games?

2)The team is slow, yet we play our best skater 9 minutes last night. We make call ups and we bring up a guy who is at his best just standing in front of the opponents net. Lou takes plenty of blame for the amount of slow, but don't let Deboer off the hook. He is fully complicit in this.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
If this team had the same penalty kill as last year, and the rest of the stats stayed the same as this year, they would actually look ok.

Last year it was the shootout monkey. We shook it only to pickup the PK monkey.

I assume once we shake that one, some other monkey will jump on. Probably injuries by the looks of it. Wish it was trunk monkey - he was hilarious and actually fun to watch.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

They're ****ing awful defensively...just putrid. It's just a bad mix of rookies and old farts.

I miss FAYNE!!!!!! I can still see those dumb comments about "fayne not being needed since there was larsson" LOL ok

Has Fayne made Edmonton some lock down defensive team?

Sure Fayne would help, but his absence is not the reason for this teams struggles.

Though I did forget about him when talking about trades that should have been made. Like Clarkson, we should not have let Fayne walk for nothing.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Last year it was the shootout monkey. We shook it only to pickup the PK monkey.

I assume once we shake that one, some other monkey will jump on. Probably injuries by the looks of it. Wish it was trunk monkey - he was hilarious and actually fun to watch.

So is evil monkey

evil_monkey.jpg

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
Has Fayne made Edmonton some lock down defensive team?

Sure Fayne would help, but his absence is not the reason for this teams struggles.

Though I did forget about him when talking about trades that should have been made. Like Clarkson, we should not have let Fayne walk for nothing.

no he hasn't but he'd be helping this team for sure right now.

letting go of him was idiotic. now you have salvador eating minutes and gelinas and larsson are not able to handle what's been given to them. it's not working. cory schneider is facing a ******** more of shots than he did last season as well.

it was a stupid decision and some people on this board took him for granted. i had to read idiotic comments about how "larsson has more potential and he's going to be able to take on fayne's minutes quite easily" lol sure. hope they're happy now.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore

it was a stupid decision and some people on this board took him for granted. i had to read idiotic comments about how "larsson has more potential and he's going to be able to take on fayne's minutes quite easily" lol sure. hope they're happy now.

Oh c'mon. Lou wasn't buying out Salvador's contract (though he should have). Therefore, it was either Fayne or Greene. I would bet my paycheck that 95% of people would want Greene as #1 (for now). Over the next 5 years, you'll have Merrill, Larsson, Severson, Gelinas, Santini, and possibly Jacobs as your top 6 or 7. Fayne wasn't taking a 1 or 2 year deal to bridge our talent gap or getting $4M from Lou.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005

letting go of him was idiotic. now you have salvador eating minutes and gelinas and larsson are not able to handle what's been given to them. it's not working. cory schneider is facing a ******** more of shots than he did last season as well.

Team would most likely be losing with Fayne as well. He's not a Norris type defenseman.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey

Fayne wouldn't make that much of a difference considering deboer would still have that sal zidlicky pairing. And that would also mean the Devils have another contract that would be blocking defensive prospects off the team.

Larsson has been on for two goals against even strength(one of them being cory's gaffe against Detroit) so it's not like he's not pulling his weight. But yes he can't handle the minutes given to him /s.

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
Yeah.

NHLDevilsPR ‏@NHLDevilsPR 1m1 minute ago

Devils have placed Ryane Clowe on injured reserve and activated Martin Havlat. Seth Helgeson has been recalled from @AlbanyDevils. #NJDevils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad