Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎2014-2015 Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
Every time we have a talented European he goes back to Europe. Kovy, Tedenby, Zharkov, Urbom, Bergfors. :sarcasm:

Last European drafted: Artur Gavrus 180 overall, 6 round, 2012 5 points in 22 khl games. Before that we drafted at least 1 European going back pretty far. Last one that turned out well was Sykora (Drafted year after Elias) Case is out on the younger ones

Safe to say management has become skeptical of all Europeans except Czechoslovakians.

Dont think theyd suddenly go for Semin except if he came cheap like Ruutu.

Still may have overpayed for Ruutu

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Ideally we'd be getting rid of a bad contract. Clowe or Zubrus. And don't tell me either of these guys are better than Semin.

One guy has had 112 concussions, and the other has a rod knock and oil and fluids leaking out of hole. Not to mention blowing a bunch of smoke all over the place.

Those two contracts are way worse than Semin's. Who would you rather have on the top line? A slightly declining Semin? Or the skeletons of Zubrus and Clowe?

GhostofKenKlee

Every time we have a talented European he goes back to Europe. Kovy, Tedenby, Zharkov, Urbom, Bergfors.

Kovalchuk aside, alot of those guys couldn't handle the NHL never mind the Devils. Four scream draft busts, the other is getting money from the GAZPROM.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Ideally we'd be getting rid of a bad contract. Clowe or Zubrus. And don't tell me either of these guys are better than Semin.

One guy has had 112 concussions, and the other has a rod knock and oil and fluids leaking out of hole. Not to mention blowing a bunch of smoke all over the place.

Those two contracts are way worse than Semin's. Who would you rather have on the top line? A slightly declining Semin? Or the skeletons of Zubrus and Clowe?

Semin isn't worth Lars or Gely or our 2nd round pick. All we talk about is how we need to get younger upfront. Taking his bad contract and giving up youth is going the wrong way.

It is moot because they won't take Clowe. Team is in a full rebuild.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Every time we have a talented European he goes back to Europe. Kovy, Tedenby, Zharkov, Urbom, Bergfors.

Last European drafted: Artur Gavrus 180 overall, 6 round, 2012 5 points in 22 khl games. Before that we drafted at least 1 European going back pretty far. Last one that turned out well was Sykora (Drafted year after Elias) Case is out on the younger ones

Safe to say management has become skeptical of all Europeans except Czechoslovakians.

Dont think theyd suddenly go for Semin except for a 6th rounder.

Other than Kovalchuk, those other guys ****ing sucked.

Who cares if Tedenby, Urbom, Zharkov, and Bergfors went to Europe. They went to Europe because they couldn't crack the roster in the NHL. Not for any of the reasons Kovalchuk did. Why are they even comparable?

Nevermind. I didn't notice the sarcasm smiley. My apologies for being an ass.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Semin isn't worth Lars or Gely or our 2nd round pick. All we talk about is how we need to get younger upfront. Taking his bad contract and giving up youth is going the wrong way.

It is moot because they won't take Clowe. Team is in a full rebuild.

Semin is 30. Clowe may as well be 38 and Zubrus may as well be 40, because he's been in the NHL since 18.

Though I do agree that they won't take these contracts anyway.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
they need guys with edge? thats ALL they are lol grinders up and down the lineup

The only time I see Semin making sense is if the Devils have a lineup like the Kings. It'd be like going after Gaborik to give the team a little more offensive punch. You don't want to give him more than he's capable of. He's just a sniper and that's it. Devils don't have enough versatile players to make use of a Semin.

But Semin makes 7mil, so it'll pretty much never make sense.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
Other than Kovalchuk, those other guys ****ing sucked.

Who cares if Tedenby, Urbom, Zharkov, and Bergfors went to Europe. They went to Europe because they couldn't crack the roster in the NHL. Not for any of the reasons Kovalchuk did. Why are they even comparable?

Exactly. They sucked. They were also European. Coincidence

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
they need guys with edge? thats ALL they are lol grinders up and down the lineup

You're confusing grinders with physical players. Zubrus is a grinder, not an edgy physical player. They don't really have that in the forward lineup other than Clowe, hence their obsession with getting Tootoo in the lineup or Salvador suddenly starting to fight guys despite needing AARP.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I would not take Semin at what the asking price is going to be. I just think the hype about him being poor defensively or unmotivated is over the top. He's a solid player in all three zones, he has an elite shot, still has speed and sick hands. He's also a good passer. I'd take that contract on IF we got rid of Clowe in the process, but I know that would never happen.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I would not take Semin at what the asking price is going to be. I just think the hype about him being poor defensively or unmotivated is over the top. He's a solid player in all three zones, he has an elite shot, still has speed and sick hands. He's also a good passer. I'd take that contract on IF we got rid of Clowe in the process, but I know that would never happen.

We know Semin has the TALENT to be all that (or most of that), but where's the motivation coming from? He hasn't had motivation since signing the contract. Hell he had problems getting motivated when he was on one-year deals.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
bad drafting right there

Don't get me started.

Conte has bought himself more time with some of the defensemen in recent drafts, but, there is a forward desert in our system and pipeline due to many swings and misses by Club Conte over the last 10 years.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Barry Tallackson
Jason Ryznar
David Hale
Matt Corrente
Adrian Foster

We speak your names.

Hey man, one day Tallackson will be playing with Elias every night. David Hale will also be our Stevens replacement too!

Then I woke up in 2014, where they both became nothing. Very overrated prospects at one time. I mean very overrated. I used to have nightmares over that Tallackson pick. Now I just laugh.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Don't get me started.

Conte has bought himself more time with some of the defensemen in recent drafts, but, there is a forward desert in our system and pipeline due to many swings and misses by Club Conte over the last 10 years.

I'm always in the mood for a Conte rant. :laugh:

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
If there's one team that can squeeze something great out of Semin, I think it's us. But we're not the team to put $7M in a guy who is ultimately a complementary player.

BJD

May 26, 2011
It's impossible to know the combination between bad drafting and bad development. I think we've been developing Larsson badly but if he doesn't become a good defenseman than we'll all just say draft bust

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
Only Grinders at the Rock I'm interested in:

grinder.jpg

Some Brazilian "grinders" in the Goal bar to.

Umm where can I get this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad