Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎2014-2015 Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
"Larsson provides questionable D and little to no O. Gelinas is needed on the PP."

Our PP went 3 for 5 last game without Gelinas. Larssons D is much more reliable than Gelinas.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I do wonder what's going on with Larsson. He went from playing 19 minutes a night in almost 80% of the games played by the Devils as an 19-20 year old, to what's going on now. It can't be just because of some supposed agenda the coach has against him. I seriously doubt Pete is sitting there going "well, Adam could help us, but I hate Swedes, so to the press box with him!". And then Lou is just saying "Sure Pete, whatever you want. Let's just throw away our first top 5 pick since Scott Niedermayer." Clearly there's something about Larsson that the organization doesn't trust. They see him a hell of a lot more than we do, so I want to give them the benefit of the doubt here. Usually if a kid doesn't cut it here, they don't cut it anywhere else either. If it turns out Larsson is a bust, it will suck, no doubt about it. But we have other good kids coming or already here on D, so I'm not going to flip out over it if it happens.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
So, here's an interesting thought, what happens to our defence next season? I'd be interested to see other peoples opinions on this, because right now my perspective is the following:

Salvador and Zidlicky shouldn't come back; we signed Zidlicky in a period where our defence was utter garbage and had we had no one to move the puck or play point on the PP. With the emergence of Severson and Merrill (presuming they stay on their current development trajectories) in addition to having Greene, puck movement on the blue line isn't an issue anymore. Thus i feel re-signing Zidlicky at his age and with his general penchant for making costly mistakes, might not be the best idea. Salvador looks absolutely spent, although the fact he's the captain and our history of questionable "loyalty" re-signings means if he doesn't hang it up i could sadly see us giving him another contract for a year or two.

Either way, i feel as though both should be moving on from the team next year; and with our chronic mismanagement of Larsson (let's face it, he isn't improving sitting in the press box) and Gelinas still being defensively suspect, it makes me wonder whether we'll be looking to make a free agent addition in the off-season?

In my opinion our biggest weakness so far this season is the lack of a steady PK defender to take the minutes that Fayne logged for us over the last few years. It's clear we don't trust any of the kids in that role at the moment, if none of them grow into it throughout the course of this year, surely we should look to upgrade Salvador this off-season with one of the better options in FA?

The FA pool looks really strong for defenders right now, is there anyone out there you want that we might realistically be able to get? Maybe a reunion with Martin/Oduya :laugh:?

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
So, here's an interesting thought, what happens to our defence next season? I'd be interested to see other peoples opinions on this, because right now my perspective is the following:

Salvador and Zidlicky shouldn't come back; we signed Zidlicky in a period where our defence was utter garbage and had we had no one to move the puck or play point on the PP. With the emergence of Severson and Merrill (presuming they stay on their current development trajectories) in addition to having Greene, puck movement on the blue line isn't an issue anymore. Thus i feel re-signing Zidlicky at his age and with his general penchant for making costly mistakes, might not be the best idea. Salvador looks absolutely spent, although the fact he's the captain and our history of questionable "loyalty" re-signings means if he doesn't hang it up i could sadly see us giving him another contract for a year or two.

Either way, i feel as though both should be moving on from the team next year; and with our chronic mismanagement of Larsson (let's face it, he isn't improving sitting in the press box) and Gelinas still being defensively suspect, it makes me wonder whether we'll be looking to make a free agent addition in the off-season?

In my opinion our biggest weakness so far this season is the lack of a steady PK defender to take the minutes that Fayne logged for us over the last few years. It's clear we don't trust any of the kids in that role at the moment, if none of them grow into it throughout the course of this year, surely we should look to upgrade Salvador this off-season with one of the better options in FA?

The FA pool looks really strong for defenders right now, is there anyone out there you want that we might realistically be able to get? Maybe a reunion with Martin/Oduya :laugh:?

I think a guy like Meszaros would be someone on Lou's radar ( among many other teams )

I think Zidlicky would be back unless he completely falls off this year + if Larsson progresses that could push Zid out.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
We have played 6 of 82 games this season and you want to know what happens next season?

Haha it's just food for thought really, i'm still plenty invested in this season, just thinking about it objectively, our defence has a lot of question marks that are either very young or very old. I feel like losing Fayne has hurt us significantly because he soaked up a lot of minutes against good competition, right now i don't see an immediate internal solution to that problem and feel in the mood to speculate :laugh:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
We have Greene, Merrill, Severson and Gelinas who'll be here no matter what.

I would keep an eye out on Santini...convential wisdom is he'll do 3 years in school this being his 2nd...but if he's has a very strong WJC and a solid sophomore season at BC, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him leave after 2 years.

Helgeson needs some games this year. We need to see if he is capable of playing that 6th shutdown role in the big show. I'd like to see him brought along the same way they did Colin White in 2000, 20 games to start.

And I wouldn't rule out a Zidlicky return next season.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
I think a guy like Meszaros would be someone on Lou's radar ( among many other teams )

I think Zidlicky would be back unless he completely falls off this year + if Larsson progresses that could push Zid out.

Larsson isn't going to sign a contract to play for Pete. Only way he plays for us next season is if Lou matches the off-sheet deal.

Top 5 draft picks will ALWAYS get a 2nd look no matter how bad they are. Larsson has looked good for his age so he is going to be picked up by someone.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
We have Greene, Merrill, Severson and Gelinas who'll be here no matter what.

I would keep an eye out on Santini...convential wisdom is he'll do 3 years in school this being his 2nd...but if he's has a very strong WJC and a solid sophomore season at BC, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him leave after 2 years.

Helgeson needs some games this year. We need to see if he is capable of playing that 6th shutdown role in the big show. I'd like to see him brought along the same way they did Colin White in 2000, 20 games to start.

And I wouldn't rule out a Zidlicky return next season.

Santini is definitely someone to keep an eye on. Jacobs too(the other defenseman we took last year?) may be something down the road too.

Larson may be expendable....but only if you can get something good for him. Thats the only way i'd trade him...but its never that easy.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Larsson isn't going to sign a contract to play for Pete. Only way he plays for us next season is if Lou matches the off-sheet deal.

Top 5 draft picks will ALWAYS get a 2nd look no matter how bad they are. Larsson has looked good for his age so he is going to be picked up by someone.

Odds are he will not be offer sheeted. They are rare and lots of teams do not like doing business that way anymore.

He either stays or goes overseas.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Odds are he will not be offer sheeted. They are rare and lots of teams do not like doing business that way anymore.

He either stays or goes overseas.

Larsson isn't going overseas. We will still hold his rights so he would have to play in SWE for a while before he can come back as a UFA (27).

I can see a team offer 2 year 2.5 million next season. Lou can't give him that if Pete is the coach (but then again maybe he can since he is okay with Pete benching a 3.5 m Ruutu). At the very worst Larsson doesn't improve and is a solid 2nd pairing. He is only 21 years old with tremendous upside (24+ min ATOI) shut down defenseman.

I am going to ****ing flip out if Pitt, PHI, or NYR pick him up and he becomes McDonagh 2.0.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Larsson isn't going overseas. We will still hold his rights so he would have to play in SWE for a while before he can come back as a UFA (27).

I can see a team offer 2 year 2.5 million next season. Lou can't give him that if Pete is the coach (but then again maybe he can since he is okay with Pete benching a 3.5 m Ruutu). At the very worst Larsson doesn't improve and is a solid 2nd pairing. He is only 21 years old with tremendous upside (24+ min ATOI) shut down defenseman.

I am going to ****ing flip out if Pitt, PHI, or NYR pick him up and he becomes McDonagh 2.0.

Lou would match that and then Lar's life would be a living Hell here.

There is a reason teams don't throw offer sheets around. It rarely works out and creates a ton of animosity.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

There is a reason teams don't throw offer sheets around. It rarely works out and creates a ton of animosity.

Exactly. And quite frankly, a player like Larsson (as of right now) isn't worth it for a GM to waste a bullet in their chamber.

Larsson's only recourse is to demand a trade and then sit out if he wants to stay in the NHL.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011

How can Lou give Larsson 2.5 million for 2 years to be a 7th defenseman? He has been god awful in asset management lately, but logically that is a terrible decision to make.

You think PIT, PHI, or NYR care if Lou doesn't like them? Offer sheet generally don't happen because most players that can't reach a deal are worth in the 5+million range where you compensation is significant.

We would only get a 2nd round draft pick for Larsson if he signs a deal less than 3.3m per year.

EDIT: I meant 2.5 million per year not 2.5 million total.

sunnyvale

Apr 29, 2013
NJ
Richers ghost not sure if that's your twitter handle or not but I saw a tweet on msg+ just now for the top 10 Chicoisms haha

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
How can Lou give Larsson 2.5 million for 2 years to be a 7th defenseman? He has been god awful in asset management lately, but logically that is a terrible decision to make.

You think PIT, PHI, or NYR care if Lou doesn't like them? Offer sheet generally don't happen because most players that can't reach a deal are worth in the 5+million range where you compensation is significant.

We would only get a 2nd round draft pick for Larsson if he signs a deal less than 3.3m per year.

EDIT: I meant 2.5 million per year not 2.5 million total.

The GMs do, they have codes of conduct, they run a business and they don't want to create an enemy in Lou where he will start throwing offer sheets out as spite.

And yes he would match to not allow them to take him for just a 2nd round pick. They would have to offer at the 3.5 mark and the 1st +3rd penalty for Lou not to match.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
The GMs do, they have codes of conduct, they run a business and they don't want to create an enemy in Lou where he will start throwing offer sheets out as spite.

And yes he would match to not allow them to take him for just a 2nd round pick. They would have to offer at the 3.5 mark and the 1st +3rd penalty for Lou not to match.

Because Nashville has been offer sheeting PHI players since the Weber or Avs with Flames (ROR). GM will do the offer sheet if 1) player willing to sign it and 2) the draft picks are worth the player.

Most players don't sign offer sheets. Larsson will not be like most players this offseason.

My guess is Larsson is looking for a trade and his agent is going to make that very clear to all the GMs in the NHL shortly.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Devils outshot again 37-27. We are giving up 31.7 Shots per game - last year we were 1st with 25.5.

Prediction: Pete is fired by game 25.

Last edited:

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Hey guys. I'm making the GDT for tomorrow's game on the Sens board, is Clemmensen expected to start for you guys? Or will Schneider play two nights in a row?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Clemmensen was told to 'be ready' though I still doubt we play him during an extended losing streak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad