Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎2014-2015 Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I wish Deboer would try Ruutu or Henrique or Elias on that first line as opposed to Zubrus - how anyone can think Dainus is a first line left wing at this point is mind boggling.

Not that Zubes is a roaving bodyguard like Dave Semenko was to Gretzky, but, Jagr prefers him on his line and they skate at about the same pace these days too.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I wish Deboer would try Ruutu or Henrique or Elias on that first line as opposed to Zubrus - how anyone can think Dainus is a first line left wing at this point is mind boggling.

Clowe was a mess there and Jagr likes playing with Zubs. It's a stop gap until Camm gets back. He is the one that needs to fit there

I prefer this idea of putting Henrique and Elias together because Elias really needs a boost.

JJ earned his promotion and the extra ice time he will get. Kid is aggressive on the PK too so hopefully he gets some time.

4th line doesn't bother me at all right now.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
Alex Semin is a much, much better player than Damien Brunner

He wouldn't be getting benched if he was that much more effective. Semin will score more, but he won't be changing this team like some of you think. For a while Kovalchuk struggled to become a positive factor on the Devils. Semin is no Kovalchuk, so I can only imagine how he'd fit in.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
Clowe was a mess there and Jagr likes playing with Zubs. It's a stop gap until Camm gets back. He is the one that needs to fit there

I prefer this idea of putting Henrique and Elias together because Elias really needs a boost.

JJ earned his promotion and the extra ice time he will get. Kid is aggressive on the PK too so hopefully he gets some time.

4th line doesn't bother me at all right now.

The Devils could really use a productive version of Josefson. It'd be great if he finally turned the corner. But it's obviously way too early to determine.

Last edited:

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
He wouldn't be getting benched if he was that much more effective. Semin will score more, but he won't be changing this team like some of you think. For a while Kovalchuk struggled to become a positive factor on the Devils. Semin is no Kovalchuk, so I can only imagine how he'd fit in.

again, why do we always assume coaches always make the right moves? Coaches screw up too, plenty.

Kovalchuk got benched under Maclean. Larsson has been benched, as has Gelinas, etc.

Semin is a highly skilled offensive player, and we don't really have all that many of those quite honestly. His contract isn't ideal, which is why I said I'd like to move Clowe in a deal for him

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Not that Zubes is a roaving bodyguard like Dave Semenko was to Gretzky, but, Jagr prefers him on his line and they skate at about the same pace these days too.

That's an insult to Jägr. Zubrus is like an old 78 C30 with 500k miles, just waiting to be taken to the junkyard.

What are the chances that Bernier ressurects his career and is good again, and causes Tootoo to never be heard from again? You know I HATE the guy more than anyone, but I don't think he's any worse of an options than Desmond Tutu.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm warming up to the idea of Semin. One of Gelinas or Larsson, and one or two of Zubrus, Clowe, Brunner. Maybe I'd even throw in a second round pick too.

Semin would help this team.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Who in their right mind would take Clowe and his contract?

Hopefully a team that's dumb enough to use the cremated remains of Cam Ward as their starting goaltender because of his contract, despite having a much better one on their team.

Same team that was dumb enough to trade a first and Brandon Sutter for Jordan Staal, before then signing him to a TEN year extension.

I keep forgetting Rutherfool is gone now.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
After five weeks of Semin people will be sick of him and want us to move him too. He's a shell of what he used to be and there's no way they're benching a $7 million player out of 'stupidity'.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
again, why do we always assume coaches always make the right moves? Coaches screw up too, plenty.

Kovalchuk got benched under Maclean. Larsson has been benched, as has Gelinas, etc.

Semin is a highly skilled offensive player, and we don't really have all that many of those quite honestly. His contract isn't ideal, which is why I said I'd like to move Clowe in a deal for him

I guess Washington messed up too? And is it always the coaches fault for a players success/failure?These are grown men. These guys aren't learning the basics of the game anymore. It sounds a bit backwards to me to blame the coach before the player, who actually is in control of his own body.

Anyway, right now, anything might be better than Clowe, so I'm not arguing against that. But Clowe has shown he can be effective in his short stint last year. If this is the real Clowe we are seeing now, I'd consider that trade. But in all honesty, what Clowe did last year would give the Devils more value than what Semin could. He's got skill, yes, but he's missing everything else.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I don't think Francis is that stupid though. But if it becomes a situation where Semin is asking to be dealt or he becomes a distraction, maybe he gets desperate. I'd rather not give up any of the kids for him though.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Kovalchuk got benched one game for disciplinary reasons. The other two are younger players making a pittance. $7 million guys getting benched or reduced icetime is a major red flag.

Clowe's contract can 'dissapear' easier than Semin's, and they can't be entirely a finesse team, they need a couple guys with edge.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005

I think Semin is being unfairly judged for his performance on a lousy Carolina team, but the question around fit is very fair. The key in evaluating whether Semin on the Devils is in figuring out if he could adjust to the Devils culture. With Semin, if the fit isn't there, the team is stuck with a untradeable contract for a long time (through 2018). With Kovy, the trade was for an impending UFA. If it didn't work, the team moves on. So, Semin is a way bigger risk at this point.

The only way a Semin deal is worth it is if we unload our own bad fit / bad contract. The reality, though, is that Clowe's contract is not nearly as bad as Semin's and he's not really that bad a fit. If Kinkaid was able to nudge Corey out of the starting role, it'd be interesting to move Schneider's contract, but we're so far away from that happening it's not worth discussing.

GhostofKenKlee

Only Grinders at the Rock I'm interested in:

grinder.jpg

Some Brazilian "grinders" in the Goal bar to.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
I wouldn't trade away Larsson, Merrill or Severson for anyone; but i'd consider Gelinas + Clowe + a 3rd for Semin. They'd have to eat the bad Clowe contract in return, but i'd be willing to take the risk to try and get some more skill in the lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad