Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎2014-2015 Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Except if Severson is really better overall (and that's what Lou and Pete are basically saying). Better skater and in both zones then how is it fair to send him down when he earned himself a spot on the team?

so Severson by playing 1 game has earned his spot but Larsson has not?

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Severson was given a chance to show he belongs in the lineup, at least a little longer. Larsson wasnt even given that. I still dont understand how he is supposed to earn a spot by sitting while others can earn a spot by playing

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Severson was given a chance to show he belongs in the lineup, at least a little longer. Larsson wasnt even given that. I still dont understand how he is supposed to earn a spot by sitting while others can earn a spot by playing

Was Lars not invited to the same camp to play the same preseason games? He allegedly got outplayed and it was no secret since day 1 at camp that none of the kids jobs were locked. And people were ripping on his play all preseason. His skating was getting ripped to shreds on here.

He is going to play soon. He has to make his 18-20 minutes better then the other guys minutes and he has to have the attitude that I will force them never to bench me again. If he mopes he won't get anything. Might not seem fair but it's hockey and it's never fair anywhere in the entire league.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Merrill was fine, however, you have a hockey man crush on the kid. He made a mistake on a Simmonds goal, while I tought Gelly had the best game of the three kids, why should he sit?

Ooooof. I don't know what to say about that...From what I saw Gelinas was far and away the worst of the 3. I would classify Merrill as great, Severson as good and Gelinas par to sub-par from last night.

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
He is going to play soon. He has to make his 18-20 minutes better then the other guys minutes and he has to have the attitude that I will force them never to bench me again. If he mopes he won't get anything. Might not seem fair but it's hockey and it's never fair anywhere in the entire league.

I'm not sure why people can't just except this. It's laughable to actually think that there is just some vendetta against the 21 year old the team selected 4th overall. It comes down to Larsson improving his game. And making it like he was some phenom in his final preseason game against the Rangers is a complete stretch. We were practically going up against an AHL team first of all, and what Larsson had was a few good shifts that resulted in points.

What does that mean? What does that mean about the deficiencies that were still evident? The ones I referenced were clearly still there after his first preseason game? They vanished?

Last year it was, "Larsson is sitting because Pete loves vets." Now a 20 year old has taken his spot and it's, "Larsson is sitting because Pete just hates him and Europeans." It's become completely ridiculous. At what point does it become about Larsson?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I'm not sure why people can't just except this. It's laughable to actually think that there is just some vendetta against the 21 year old the team selected 4th overall. It comes down to Larsson improving his game. And making it like he was some phenom in his final preseason game against the Rangers is a complete stretch. We were practically going up against an AHL team first of all, and what Larsson had was a few good shifts that resulted in points.

What does that mean? What does that mean about the deficiencies that were still evident? The ones I referenced were clearly still there after his first preseason game? They vanished?

Last year it was, "Larsson is sitting because Pete loves vets." Now a 20 year old has taken his spot and it's, "Larsson is sitting because Pete just hates him and Europeans." It's become completely ridiculous. At what point does it become about Larsson?

but yet people know Severson is some stud (right now) by watching those same preseason games?

alrighty :laugh:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

Hold up...He has 3 years and 3 training camps to convince the coaches and the organization that he is the better option.

Say what you what but please don't say Larsson hasn't been giving ample opportunity.

Merrill and now, so far Severson have been given 1 shot -- they took the opportunity and ran with it. Of course 1 game doesn't not make a career in Severson's case, but my god in one game he does EVERY single thing the organization asks him to do by not taking risk, taking care of the puck, play strong positionally ...Severson played a game that garners trust, with trust will come expanded opportunity and it'll be a series of small test along the way...Larsson has had all those opportunities and he doesn't garner trust and hasn't been able to progress past those initial phases opportunity. That is 100% on him.

Gotta stop blaming other people....Anyone other than Larsson that is.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I hope the Devils do more videos like that... even of guys walking down a hallway. Anyone else notice that the video stopped when Lou walked around the corner? haha

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Perhaps the new owners are going to put their feet down and force the organization to join the rest of the world in 2014.

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
but yet people know Severson is some stud (right now) by watching those same preseason games?

A soon to be 22 year old with 128 NHL and 66 AHL games of experience playing well against that competition is similar to a just-turned-20 year old with 2 AHL games under his belt playing well against that competition?

Alrighty...

Also, can you honestly not see that Severson brings many of the qualities Larsson still lacks, or do you just opt to be blind to them?

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Perhaps the new owners are going to put their feet down and force the organization to join the rest of the world in 2014.

I think Lou is the man when it comes to how to run a franchise.... but the lack of access to players is crazy. There is no reason we can't see videos like that all the time.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
A soon to be 22 year old with 128 NHL and 66 AHL games of experience playing well against that competition is similar to a just-turned-20 year old with 2 AHL games under his belt playing well against that competition?

Alrighty...

Also, can you honestly not see that Severson brings many of the qualities Larsson still lacks, or do you just opt to be blind to them?

dude Severson has played ONE GAME! we don't know WHAT he brings yet.

I think its absolutely hilarious that you think we know enough about Severson at this point. Do I wish he is a stud? of course! but that isn't realistic (right now).

You honestly don't have a problem with having Larsson sitting nightly? whatsoever? I find tha thard to believe.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

Nobody called Severson a stud. But the kid just turned 20 1 month ago and he knows how to play the position quite well already...Starting at that level bodes well for his development trajectory...So it is easy to be excited about him...

Being excited for a potential "high ceiling" player to step in and show he can do it at such a young age is something we should be celebrating today, not arguing over.

BulletTheBlueSky

Feb 25, 2009
Old Bridge, NJ
The thing with Larsson is he just doesn't have any fire at all and a seemingly ho hum sulking attitude most of the time. I believe he can do a fine job on D but he just seems so emotionally fragile and takes everything to heart. Not a good trait if you want to finally break through and establish yourself.

Pretty sure Larsson thought that he was guaranteed a spot during the off season from what Lou said and he did have a decent camp.

No one expects him to be coddled but being benched tonight isn't going to help whats going on in his head and I believe that's his biggest flaw as a player, his mental toughness.

this here. He's lazy and DeBoer sees it! There's definitely tension and he's definitely getting traded.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
I think Lou is the man when it comes to how to run a franchise.... but the lack of access to players is crazy. There is no reason we can't see videos like that all the time.

During the season ticket holder conference call, O'Neil and Weber said that they sat down with Lou over the summer and discussed ways they can give fans more access to players.. They said they understand that fans want to feel connected to their team, and that they worked out a plan with Lou to provide more of that going forward :handclap:

This is probably part of it, because the Devils have never even posted videos of a morning skate.. Definitely recommend following their YouTube account this season

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Nobody called Severson a stud. But the kid just turned 20 1 month ago and he knows how to play the position quite well already...Starting at that level bodes well for his development trajectory...So it is easy to be excited about him...

Being excited for a potential "high ceiling" player to step in and show he can do it at such a young age is something we should be celebrating today, not arguing over.

this is what is getting lost in this. People think that I don't want to see Severson succeed are out to lunch.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I don't want to trade him but if it comes down to it...

What about something along the lines of Larsson + Josefson for a young promising center? Can't think of a player right now. Maybe Backlund? Although I doubt he's available and we can probably get more.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
this is what is getting lost in this. People think that I don't want to see Severson succeed are out to lunch.

All of us want all of our players to succeed I understand that...But the reality is sometimes one players success is going to be at the expense of another. I don't remember who here posted it here, but someone called it "Darwinism" --- And they were absolutely right. You better be better than the guy who has the job currently and the guy who wants the job next....If not you disappear. Just the way the jungle works.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Biggest issue with Larrson is we want him to play for someone who isnt coming out of the line-up.

Larrson is being blocked by Sal not Severson. Sal is the worse Dman and Larrson should be in that spot.

At least thats what I believe. Having Sal around for the locker room and to step in when someone needs a break or a young kid needs to learn something is fine. It was 1 game i know but I liked what i saw and Severson and he will have growing pains and bad games. But at this point i would be happen and comfortable with starting Greene, Zidlicky, Merrill, Larrson, Severson, and Gelly.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
All of us want all of our players to succeed I understand that...But the reality is sometimes one players success is going to be at the expense of another. I don't remember who here posted it here, but someone called it "Darwinism" --- And they were absolutely right. You better be better than the guy who has the job currently and the guy who wants the job next....If not you disappear. Just the way the jungle works.

my problem with this is we've had too many of our guys "disappear" recently. thats all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad