Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎2014-2015 Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Anyone else dislike the fact that we have 3 PP forward units? I understand keeping the top line together, but not having Henrique and Elias on the 2nd unit together getting lots of PP time is a mistake IMO. The 3rd forwrod on that line could be Havlat, Clowe or someone like Brunner or Ryder, but regardless we should give good PP minutes to the best players.

Maybe this is just for practice but I hope they only use 2 units.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It wouldn't surprise me then if Severson gets a handful of games to get his feet wet and then gets sent back down. Plenty of teams do the same thing with kids.

BulletTheBlueSky

Feb 25, 2009
Old Bridge, NJ
no chance Gelinas is the guy they "want" to sit. although he may have to while they try to trade Larsson. He sucks. Hes slow as a snail. Does he even work out in the off-season he doesn't look like he did anything. I'de rather kept Harrold but they cant do that if they wanna trade him. They gotta pretend hes worth something.

Do they get a draft pick or a body?

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
It wouldn't surprise me then if Severson gets a handful of games to get his feet wet and then gets sent back down. Plenty of teams do the same thing with kids.

They wouldn't have risked losing Harrold if this was only for a couple of games.

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
no chance Gelinas is the guy they "want" to sit. although he may have to while they try to trade Larsson. He sucks. Hes slow as a snail. Does he even work out in the off-season he doesn't look like he did anything. I'de rather kept Harrold but they cant do that if they wanna trade him. They gotta pretend hes worth something.

You clearly didn't watch any of the preseason. Larsson was great.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL

Doc-Rivers-Shocked-GIF.gif

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

IMO he wasn't great but he did take strides towards looking closer to his rookie season then his last few. Definitely happy with how he looked this preseason.

Devilsfanatic0421

"You're next"
Feb 24, 2012
This is classic Devils player management over the last few seasons.

Limiting the playing time of a young defenseman just isn't a sound practice.

yehyeh

Devils. Devils? Yeah, Devils.
Dec 17, 2011
NNJ

Harrold was consistently a worse defenseman than Larsson. Also, I'm not sure if you're considering the future of each player. Harrold doesn't have half the potential that Adam Larsson has.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If we're gonna have this 4th line, can we at least trade places between Zubrus and Ruutu? Ruutu is the better player at this point, and he'll produce more if put with better players.

That 4th line isn't gonna produce many points anyway, and neither is Zubrus.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
it wont take too long before Ruutu starts asking for more than 7 minutes ice time per game

Maybe however long it takes for DeBoer to realize that Zubrus ain't gonna cut it with Elias and Havlat.

Hopefully it doesn't take 2 or 3 shutouts or a 5 game losing streak to start the season, for him to realize that it won't work.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007

I thought Larsson played well, I would say with 4 young defenseman they have the ability to trade for some offensive prowess but its not gonna happen early in the season, if the team isn't doing well there is no reason to trade young players on defense for young players on offense.

we have plenty of veterens worth something to a playoff team if we are in that position towards deadline. if the devils look good but are just missing a scoring forward then maybe they look to trade a young dman. unless a great opportunity for a relatively young proven forward presents itself don't expect a trade early in year

ghoti

Grind Time
Sep 18, 2005
This is classic Devils player management over the last few seasons.

Limiting the playing time of a young defenseman just isn't a sound practice.

So you are saying that if Larsson is the 7th defenseman right now, he should go to Albany.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Maybe however long it takes for DeBoer to realize that Zubrus ain't gonna cut it with Elias and Havlat.

Hopefully it doesn't take 2 or 3 shutouts or a 5 game losing streak to start the season, for him to realize that it won't work.

you see what I highlighted .....I'm not a total Deboer hater but he is stubborn to change his way of thinking
I have a feeling you might be wanting him fired even more this season

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
I'm more surprised the coaching staff seems to be playing Gelinas over Larsson moreso than Severson over Larsson. If those pairings today mean anything...which knowing Pete, they do.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
So is Rutuu-Gio-Totoo, better than what we had last season? I'm just not liking our group forwards at all. Thank goodness we have the 4 kids on defense. It brings the overall average age of the team down.

Devilsfanatic0421

"You're next"
Feb 24, 2012
So you are saying that if Larsson is the 7th defenseman right now, he should go to Albany.

Well in an ideal world he isn't the 7th.

Salvador is the 7th best Dman on this roster, but the C and the illusion that he is an effective PK'er is keeping him in the lineup.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
you see what I highlighted .....I'm not a total Deboer hater but he is stubborn to change his way of thinking
I have a feeling you might be wanting him fired even more this season

He's slow at adjusting. Even some of his supporters have said the same thing.

If we score 4 or 5 goals in our first 3 games and lose all of them, I'm still not sure he tries something new. Knowing him, he'll juggle lines during a game in the 3rd period, then go back to the original lines for the next game.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Don't know why everyone is freaking out about the D. You wanted kids we got em. Larson isn't sitting plus he's been fine. Severson will probably get a few games swapping out with Gelly and sent back down and Harold will be back.

Sal goes down and hegelson May get a get shot.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
If we're gonna have this 4th line, can we at least trade places between Zubrus and Ruutu? Ruutu is the better player at this point, and he'll produce more if put with better players.

That 4th line isn't gonna produce many points anyway, and neither is Zubrus.

Zubs gets that spot because of his chemistry with Elias and that Elias likes playing with him.

If he falters and Ruutu plays well they will switch. I also think the Zubs hate is overstated as is his potential to ruin that line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad