Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎2014-2015 Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Larrson's attitude plays into this as well. His fragile confidence does not do him any favors.

Lars should of taken his time in Albany to light the world on fire and prove he should of been up here but he really didn't do that.

The kid definitely try's hard but he also seems to think things will just be handed to him because of his draft position or something.

Sitting also seems to dishearten him way to easily. This isn't an easy game and if you can be shaken that easily it can really hold you back as a player.

For his own sake he needs to not talk to the media much. He might of spoke his mind and it wasn't really anything bad, but it does him zero favors in regards to winning his spot back.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Larrson's attitude plays into this as well. His fragile confidence does not do him any favors.

Lars should of taken his time in Albany to light the world on fire and prove he should of been up here but he really didn't do that.

The kid definitely try's hard but he also seems to think things will just be handed to him because of his draft position or something.

Sitting also seems to dishearten him way to easily. This isn't an easy game and if you can be shaken that easily it can really hold you back as a player.

For his own sake he needs to not talk to the media much. He might of spoke his mind and it wasn't really anything bad, but it does him zero favors in regards to winning his spot back.

He went through two years of being sat in favor of veterans.

Finally, the team tells him they made room for him to play consistently..

and in game ****ing one, he's scratched so a 20-year old can get his first NHL action.

That's inexcusable. That's a terrible way to treat any player.. let alone one that you identify has fragile confidence.

Deboer goes out and says that he could've easily played any of the players he scratched and the team would likely not miss a beat.. so why doesn't Larsson get the veteran's treatment like he was the victim of so many times?

Larsson should have been in this game and Severson the next for whoever (including Larsson). It's just a piss-poor way of managing your players. They aren't just going to play hard for you out of the blue.. and alienating a player isn't going to get him to play better.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Need any more evidence of Deboer being piss-poor at player management?

4.5 seconds left in the period. You're on the PK. Defensive zone faceoff.

Who do you put out there?

Your elite defensive forward who's best at the team on faceoffs by a mile?
Your two other pretty damn good defensively forwards who are not great.. but okay at faceoffs?

Nope. You put out YOUR WORST CENTER AT FACEOFFS.

Christ's sake.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
might be an adjustment but I liked what the devils were doing when they would gain the zone and the puck carrier would stop at the blue line and hit the guy trailing insead of just dumping it

Jaysfanatic*

Not sure if serious or if something else, but, he's the only player in the history of sports to lose his spot to injury. Everyone else gets hurt, they're right back in. Larsson lost his spot to Harrold the first time, and then to Merrill the second time. Both times he got hurt he was playing really well and didn't deserve to get thrown out upon his return.

Then in the final preseason tuneup against the Rangers, he was carrying his d-pairing which included the terrible moron with a C on the front of his jersey and even that wasn't good enough.

Peter DeBoer is a xenophobe, plain and simple. He didn't like Kulikov but loved Gudbranson and he's doing it again here. The only Europeans he plays regularly are the vets that have the high contracts. Every other young European player has been buried. If he got a fresh faced Ovechkin, he'd be sitting in favor of Gionta in DeBoer's world.

The Tampa Bay Lightning saw what Barry Melrose was doing to Steven Stamkos and ownership stepped in and fired him. Devils ownership needs to step in here and say look, this is a guy who we value, he needs to play.

Vic Hedman was not perfect with the Lightning either, he made mistakes but they allowed him to play through it and learn on the job, without fear of taking him out of the lineup and he's starting to flourish.

Try and justify all you want, but the coach is a fool.

kiwidevil

might be an adjustment but I liked what the devils were doing when they would gain the zone and the puck carrier would stop at the blue line and hit the guy trailing insead of just dumping it

Like Kovalchuk used to do all the time?

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
Need any more evidence of Deboer being piss-poor at player management?

4.5 seconds left in the period. You're on the PK. Defensive zone faceoff.

Who do you put out there?

Your elite defensive forward who's best at the team on faceoffs by a mile?
Your two other pretty damn good defensively forwards who are not great.. but okay at faceoffs?

Nope. You put out YOUR WORST CENTER AT FACEOFFS.

Christ's sake.
Pete might have a very effective system that keeps every game close and is respected around the league, but in the 25 years I've been on this earth he is easily one of the worst coaches I've seen when it comes to player personnel decisions and in game adjustments. He is unbelievably stubborn and seems like when he gets ideas in his head they last A LOT longer than they should and that's why you see guys like Gionta playing WAY too much and Larsson sitting. Hes convinced himself that these are the right things to do and doesn't seem to want to change his ways. Its been like every year hes been here and its scary because its not good for the long term health of the organization. Hes so focused on the moment that the future eludes him.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Pete might have a very effective system that keeps every game close and is respected around the league, but in the 25 years I've been on this earth he is easily one of the worst coaches I've seen when it comes to player personnel decisions and in game adjustments. He is unbelievably stubborn and seems like when he gets ideas in his head they last A LOT longer than they should and that's why you see guys like Gionta playing WAY too much and Larsson sitting. Hes convinced himself that these are the right things to do and doesn't seem to want to change his ways. Its been like every year hes been here and its scary because its not good for the long term health of the organization. He's so focused on the moment that the future eludes him.

Isn't that kind of his job? People ***** about how he doesn't make the playoffs, so he's focusing on making the playoffs, and now he doesn't focus enough on the future? And this on a team that has 4 defensemen 23 years old or younger on it's roster? But I forget, he hates kids and has no idea how to communicate with them.

Last edited:

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Hey guys, how is the Cammalleri acquisition coming along?

He's fitting right in. The top line of Cam,Zajac and Jagr are still meshing but it's looking good so far.

He has the right attitude and the Devil work ethic.

2 goals tonight and could of had 2 more if things fell his way.

Off to a good start :)

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Deboer called Seversons debut "fantastic"

I watched the game after getting home from work, and I was pretty impressed by him. He wasn't amazing, but he didn't look rattled at all. He kind of reminded me of Merrill last year. Which probably isn't good news for Larsson. As much as I think our "ruining" of him is overblown, I do kind of feel for the kid. He didn't really do anything wrong in camp, yet because of the play of another kid he's the odd man out again.

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
Severson was solid. Will see how his game develops. In the mean time, Salvador out and Larsson in. Sal was.. horrendous. At least Larsson has a future.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Larsson is going to have a tough time.

Severson played a game that says "don't take me out of the lineup"

Going by the way the organization has always ran, Larsson would never come in for Salvador, they just don't play the same role. Helgeson is more likely to come in for Salvador than Larsson.

Merrill looked like the #1 last night. He absolutely is not a part of any "rotation" - he is on the cusp pf being our best defenseman.

Gelinas is still shaky and if he is not going to be on the first unit PP, there really is no reason for him to be in the lineup.

If I had to put money on it, Gelinas will be out and Larsson will be in.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Best we can hope for is that Gelinas, Larsson and Severson all get a decent amount of games this season.

There will be injuries to cover for.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Larsson is going to have a tough time.

Severson played a game that says "don't take me out of the lineup"

Going by the way the organization has always ran, Larsson would never come in for Salvador, they just don't play the same role. Helgeson is more likely to come in for Salvador than Larsson.

Merrill looked like the #1 last night. He absolutely is not a part of any "rotation" - he is on the cusp pf being our best defenseman.

Gelinas is still shaky and if he is not going to be on the first unit PP, there really is no reason for him to be in the lineup.

If I had to put money on it, Gelinas will be out and Larsson will be in.

Merrill was fine, however, you have a hockey man crush on the kid. He made a mistake on a Simmonds goal, while I tought Gelly had the best game of the three kids, why should he sit?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Let me first state, I agree 100% with this post...but just to play devils advocate, don't you think sitting any of these young players is bad move for their development? I mean wouldn't Severson playing 25 minutes a night as #1 in the AHL and Larsson playing a solid 19/20 minutes a night be better for everyone?

THIS IS ALL EVERYONE HAS BEEN TRYING TO SAY THE PAST TWO DAYS

thank you.

BJD

May 26, 2011
Not sure if serious or if something else, but, he's the only player in the history of sports to lose his spot to injury. Everyone else gets hurt, they're right back in. Larsson lost his spot to Harrold the first time, and then to Merrill the second time. Both times he got hurt he was playing really well and didn't deserve to get thrown out upon his return.

Then in the final preseason tuneup against the Rangers, he was carrying his d-pairing which included the terrible moron with a C on the front of his jersey and even that wasn't good enough.

Peter DeBoer is a xenophobe, plain and simple. He didn't like Kulikov but loved Gudbranson and he's doing it again here. The only Europeans he plays regularly are the vets that have the high contracts. Every other young European player has been buried. If he got a fresh faced Ovechkin, he'd be sitting in favor of Gionta in DeBoer's world.

The Tampa Bay Lightning saw what Barry Melrose was doing to Steven Stamkos and ownership stepped in and fired him. Devils ownership needs to step in here and say look, this is a guy who we value, he needs to play.

Vic Hedman was not perfect with the Lightning either, he made mistakes but they allowed him to play through it and learn on the job, without fear of taking him out of the lineup and he's starting to flourish.

Try and justify all you want, but the coach is a fool.

Alex smith and colin kapernick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad