Confirmed with Link: Devils Sign RW Wayne Simmonds (1 Yr., $5,000,000)

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bratt unless he breaks out like crazy -- I don't think he'll get 6 million even on a long term deal. Johnsson/Kapanen deals are what I think his comparables for 3-4 year deal would be.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Meh. It's really, really ballpark. I'm sure some will sign lower, some will sign higher, but in total, I don't think it's THAT far off.

yeah i’d prefer to estimate high anyway, leave some breathing room for when he signs for less

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
The Devils would be really smart to get Nico's deal done now before he breaks out for 60-70 points next year. I think 7x7 can get it done

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Bratt unless he breaks out like crazy -- I don't think he'll get 6 million even on a long term deal. Johnsson/Kapanen deals are what I think his comparables for 3-4 year deal would be.

The difference between Bratt and those guys is that Bratt will have had 3 NHL seasons and they didn't. This is something Shero's clearly aware of and it's part of why I think he's fine with burning ELCs in certain circumstances. So I think $6M on a long-term deal is certainly a possibility.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
The difference between Bratt and those guys is that Bratt will have had 3 NHL seasons and they didn't. This is something Shero's clearly aware of and it's part of why I think he's fine with burning ELCs in certain circumstances. So I think $6M on a long-term deal is certainly a possibility.
that's true. anyway if Bratt gets a long term deal worth 6M it's a major win anyway for the Devils having a 6th round pick in 2016 worth that much coming off an elc

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
The Devils would be really smart to get Nico's deal done now before he breaks out for 60-70 points next year. I think 7x7 can get it done

Takes two to tango. If I'm Nico, I honestly don't know any reason why I would sign this deal at that point.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas

I was thinking 5 (5x5 or 6x5), but yeah, I wouldn't be completely shocked if he nabs 6 on a long term deal, particularly if he stays healthy and puts up like 55 points or something this season.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
i understand that’s your opinion, i’m just saying we’re not paying him $5M to play on our fourth line.

personally i think you’re selling the guy way short, he’s only 30 and if used in the right way he’ll clean up plenty of garbage goals while hughes and bratt to their razzle dazzle bull****
Why wouldn't we? We have all the cap space in the world for this upcoming season. It doesn't matter how much we pay him.

If he isn't effective at even strength, which he has not been for years now and is only getting worse, you shelter him on the 4th line and play in on the PP assuming he continues his play there. The salary is a sunk cost at this point.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I was thinking 5 (5x5 or 6x5), but yeah, I wouldn't be completely shocked if he nabs 6 on a long term deal, particularly if he stays healthy and puts up like 55 points or something this season.
True, but on the other hand, other players I listed may end up getting more. Again, it's pretty ballpark.

devsfan8

Aug 23, 2005
South Jersey
Not down on this deal at all. I also do not buy that Simmonds has lost an edge for even a second! He is 30 years old and is yet to have a single season playing less than 70 games. He is reliable and fills a need. He plays physical and is someone willing to pay the price on front of the net. We did not hit last year. We had no intimidating body on the ice. We were soft. 17 goals on a bad year is no slouch either.

I think the concern that some people have about with Simmonds is that his style of play is similar to someone like Callahan and they age quicker and have shorter careers. But for 1 year it is an upgrade.

I disagree that we are not paying him 5 mill to play on the 4th line. I might agree if it was a longer term. His added depth is nice to have in the bottom 6 and will get a lot of power play time.

It is a solid move. I'd like to think Shero has one more move (I assume a trade) to make.

Last edited:

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Why wouldn't we? We have all the cap space in the world for this upcoming season. It doesn't matter how much we pay him.

If he isn't effective at even strength, which he has not been for years now and is only getting worse, you shelter him on the 4th line and play in on the PP assuming he continues his play there. The salary is a sunk cost at this point.

stop it, this is ridiculous. we already have plenty of guys who can play on our fourth line, and none of them make $5M a year. simmonds will get every opportunity to play in a top 6 role.

if you really disagree then so be it, we can bookmark this and circle back to it in october

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
stop it, this is ridiculous. we already have plenty of guys who can play on our fourth line, and none of them make $5M a year. simmonds will get every opportunity to play in a top 6 role.

if you really disagree then so be it, we can bookmark this and circle back to it in october
He should get AN opportunity but I'm not putting him there because of his salary. The reality is he has not been a strong 5 on 5 player for multiple years and his play has only deteriorated. I don't see how anyone can argue he is a top 6 player.

I do think there is the potential that he plays on the 4th line if he is anchoring a line at even strength. You want to limit that as much as possible and shelter players like this at even strength is the way to go.

I'd like to see him provide value at even strength, I just don't see it being realistic. Regardless given our cap situation the move is good by Shero. You get a player who can add value to your PP and if he bounces back in a bigger way, its just extra.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
As of right now, i don't really like this deal.... the only good thing is the term...

I didn't catch up on full thread, yet. I thought people were really unhappy with his performance last season to the eye test...

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
He should get AN opportunity but I'm not putting him there because of his salary. The reality is he has not been a strong 5 on 5 player for multiple years and his play has only deteriorated. I don't see how anyone can argue he is a top 6 player.

I do think there is the potential that he plays on the 4th line if he is anchoring a line at even strength. You want to limit that as much as possible and shelter players like this at even strength is the way to go.

I'd like to see him provide value at even strength, I just don't see it being realistic. Regardless given our cap situation the move is good by Shero. You get a player who can add value to your PP and if he bounces back in a bigger way, its just extra.

He isn't a 'top 6 player' whatever that is. The question is can his skillset make Hall or Hughes better without his liabilities giving all of that value back. I'm not certain, but on a one-year deal, it's a fine chance to take.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
@Zajacs Bowl Cut

Others do not 'cause the belief is that HE STINKS!!! STINKS, I TELL YOU!! (did I mention he stinks?) :D

But in all seriousness...I hope he has a Healthy year for us and if he doesn't pan out, he's gone after this season. Plain and simple. :nod:

I also do not understand the outrage by some. It's a 1-year deal.

Not sure how anyone can question this deal.. its a fantastic no risk all upside move. the devils powerplay on paper should be top 5 this year

Reactions: MakoSlade

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
i understand that’s your opinion, i’m just saying we’re not paying him $5M to play on our fourth line.

personally i think you’re selling the guy way short, he’s only 30 and if used in the right way he’ll clean up plenty of garbage goals while hughes and bratt to their razzle dazzle bull****

we need guys that play in the paint.. he plays in the paint bravo shero

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

just to clarify, i’m not exactly saying he’ll be in the top 6 because of his salary. i’m saying the devils wouldn’t have signed him to a $5M contract to relegate him to the 4th line. we already have our bottom six filled out, with guys like seney and anderson knocking on the door.

if management is seeing a potential top 6 of hall, nico, palms, bratt, hughes, i’m sure they recognized the need for some size and signed simmonds for that role

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I see Simmonds having a 20-30 goal season with maybe 1/4 of those goals coming as the trailer behind someone on the rush.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
It's one year, not even worth the hand wringing really

If he bounces back from last year, great signing

If not, we will part ways one way or another

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
just to clarify, i’m not exactly saying he’ll be in the top 6 because of his salary. i’m saying the devils wouldn’t have signed him to a $5M contract to relegate him to the 4th line. we already have our bottom six filled out, with guys like seney and anderson knocking on the door.

if management is seeing a potential top 6 of hall, nico, palms, bratt, hughes, i’m sure they recognized the need for some size and signed simmonds for that role
Size does not equate to being good. I understand that having someone with size, who is potentially good in the corners could be an asset, but they also need to have the foot speed to keep up. I have a hard time seeing Shero counting on Simmonds being a top 6 player. The idea may be to create more competition, but I think its been made quite apparent by his recent play that he is not going to positively contribute at even strength. He hasn't had strong even strength numbers the last 3 consecutive years...is that going to change right after one of his worst seasons and him turning 30?

You may hope he bounces back to have strong PP production and not be a drag on possession at even strength, but it is kind of hard to anticipate him having a positive impact on the top 6. I'd rather him not decrease the offensive output of Nico, Hall, Hughes etc., and play against weaker competition in a bottom 6 role. Even then I anticipate Zajac and Coleman to face top competition, so 4th line makes the most sense to me.

I still think it is a fine bet. If he can score 20 goals, have an impact on the PP, its worth it given its a one year deal. If not, it has no real significant negative impact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad